Q For Bete Testers or Cliff

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

The only thing Im concerned about, is the "Unity Gain" thing. As I understand it, you set the IP gain but then any signal comming in sets to unity.

Does this mean that the AFX basically fees the same strength signal to the Amp sim regardless of the I/P - so a Tele with Low OP PUs, and a PRS with High OP PUs sound similar (not tonally obviously by gain levels) - or do they keep their inherant difference in drive levels?

I use 5 pattches, and change guitars to alter gain levels much like a real rig. Im sure the AFX does allow this, but want to make sure before I spend £2k.

Many thanks

There are two actual new controls in play here - both are important.

The first is that your input 'gain' (from the input) is off the I/O button. It is now how to maximize the A/D conversion process for signal/noise. This does NOT affect the amount of gain in your signal chain, but instead optimizes the input level of your guitar into the A/D converter ONLY.

The second is new control is the "Amp Gain" which is on the global button's first screen all the way to the right. Here is where you can adjust the amount of gain in the actual timbre/tone of the guitar in the signal chain of your preset(s).

So your Tele, your EMG's, your Les Paul, and your Metal monsters can all now dial up as much - or as little - gain they want per guitar.

I hope that makes sense. See the manual for more detailed (and probably more accurate) description of these two controls.

Reference doing a live set, and changing guitars on the fly: Does this mean that I have to re-tweak the AF2 every time I change guitar, or do I just set it up against my guitar with the hottest pickups?

Probably against the hottest. If that one sounds like it should, the rest will follow.

There are two actual new controls in play here - both are important.

The first is that your input 'gain' (from the input) is off the I/O button. It is now how to maximize the A/D conversion process for signal/noise. This does NOT affect the amount of gain in your signal chain, but instead optimizes the input level of your guitar into the A/D converter ONLY.

The second is new control is the "Amp Gain" which is on the global button's first screen all the way to the right. Here is where you can adjust the amount of gain in the actual timbre/tone of the guitar in the signal chain of your preset(s).

So your Tele, your EMG's, your Les Paul, and your Metal monsters can all now dial up as much - or as little - gain they want per guitar.

I hope that makes sense. See the manual for more detailed (and probably more accurate) description of these two controls.

Personally, I think that is a brilliant design. It gives us an improved s/n ratio AND lets us drive the amp as much or as little as we want with whatever guitar we're using. It makes the input section much more idiot proof and that's a good thing. I know that I have been guilty of being an idiot when turning knobs and adjusting settings at times.
Being able to push an amp on the front end without causing negative artifacts etc from the converter section is just simply a brilliant and well-thought-out design.
Now damnit...why is my cart still empty at the Yahoo store?

cheers,
Steve

Am I correct that this will not affect say a +3 volume peq boost? i.e. This doesn't normalize output does it?

I read the manual, and it wasnt really clear. Thats to Scott for his input but im still not sure Ive got it.

So - set the Input for your hottest guitar as with the old Axe - BUT, The signal strength that hits the chain is the same level regardless? whera as in the old versions it meant a lower output pickup hit the amp less, so had less gain. The Input trim is just fo S/N ratio and Id have the same gain levels regardless.

That wouldnt work for me. I want one patch that I can then switch guitars on for differnt gain levels. I dont want differnt patches for different guitars.

I may have it wrong, it could be a deal breaker and Id lok to replace my Standard with a used Ultra. I NEED different guitars to have different gain levels into the same patch.

Clarification?

I read the manual, and it wasnt really clear. Thats to Scott for his input but im still not sure Ive got it.

So - set the Input for your hottest guitar as with the old Axe - BUT, The signal strength that hits the chain is the same level regardless? whera as in the old versions it meant a lower output pickup hit the amp less, so had less gain. The Input trim is just fo S/N ratio and Id have the same gain levels regardless.

That wouldnt work for me. I want one patch that I can then switch guitars on for differnt gain levels. I dont want differnt patches for different guitars.

I may have it wrong, it could be a deal breaker and Id lok to replace my Standard with a used Ultra. I NEED different guitars to have different gain levels into the same patch.

Clarification?

That is not what it does. What it does is ensure the signal level your guitar is putting out is the signal that the Axe-fx grid sees; no matter what the input level is set to. The input level setting is just to get a good signal to the A/D converters.

In the old version if you turned up or down the input knob it would alter the signal the effect grid would see. In other words, you could be sending a signal stronger or weaker than your guitars pickup was sending out.

So to answer your original question, they keep there inherent difference in drive level exactly the same as before AND they keep the intended drive levels of those guitars through the A/D conversion.

Last edited:
I believe you have no need to be worried. How would the Axe know which guitar you have plugged in and then somehow magically adjust all of them to have the same gain?

Clarification?

Read Sean's post. Yes, you are wrong. What you need/require/are asking the "2" does.

Cool :)

Im on the EU list for 1st major batch - Late July, and have the money ready :)

I had to sell my VHT :( and my standard will be sold too, but the Matrix GT800FX is really nice and it will be the first time in 3 years with a new Amp toy :)

I think the OP may be thinking that unity gain means that the output will always the same level regardless of the input. IE when you switch guitars, to a lower PU output instrument, the output somehow normalizes to the output of the original guitar. This is not what unity gain means. All it means is that the gain is equal to 1 (no boost or cut) from input to output (effects bypassed) there is no level change. This just simplifies the I/O level tweaking as there was too many ways to do it wrong before.

Back
Top Bottom