Fixed Q 7.02 - Amp block's Preamp Hardness parameter not retaining altered values/Possibly not functioning

shredi knight

Power User
- The Preamp Hardness parameter (Amp block's Advanced page) reverts back to it's default value after it's been altered. If you change the value, then leave the Amp block's Advanced page, then come back, the value will be back to it's default setting. Altered values also revert back to default when you try saving them with a patch. This happens in both Amps 1 & 2, X & Y, when using the Axe's front panel or Axe-Edit.

- After testing the Preamp Hardness with various & extreme settings, I can't seem to be able to tell a difference in the sound or feel and think that maybe the parameter isn't even working.

I would have noticed something was up with the Preamp Hardness a long time ago, but I haven't really played any guitar since installing the 7.02 FW. I'm going to roll back to the 7.02 Beta FW and see if all of this happens with it as well (and stay on it for now if it doesn't).

EDIT - It behaves the same way in 7.02 Beta.

Last edited:
Confirmed.

I can re-create this behavior in Axe-Edit if I edit Preamp Hardness in the AMP block then change to another block and then back to the AMP block. If I do that, I lose my changes on Preamp Hardness only (I made other parameter edits on the Preamp tab in Axe-Edit to see if they got reset too and they did not).

Front the front panel, if I page away from the Adv page in the AMP block my Preamp Hardness settings are retained when I page back to the Adv page. But if I go edit another block or return to the layout and then come back to the AMP block my changes to Preamp Hardness are lost.

Confirmed.

I can re-create this behavior in Axe-Edit if I edit Preamp Hardness in the AMP block then change to another block and then back to the AMP block. If I do that, I lose my changes on Preamp Hardness only (I made other parameter edits on the Preamp tab in Axe-Edit to see if they got reset too and they did not).

Front the front panel, if I page away from the Adv page in the AMP block my Preamp Hardness settings are retained when I page back to the Adv page. But if I go edit another block or return to the layout and then come back to the AMP block my changes to Preamp Hardness are lost.

Thanks iaresee. Can you (or anyone else) also confirm my second point, that the Preamp Hardness doesn't even seem to be working?

Thanks.

I think I can confirm it, Shredi: Extreme settings 0 and 10 don't sound different from one another on my rig. Or at least not as different as how I remember things changing previously. Changing tube types still seems to result in pretty substantial changes in tone, but not the hardness.

I think I can confirm it, Shredi: Extreme settings 0 and 10 don't sound different from one another on my rig. Or at least not as different as how I remember things changing previously.....

Same here, no perceivable change in sound or feel from 0 to 10. Changing the hardness, even small degrees, used to make a noticeable difference.

....Changing tube types still seems to result in pretty substantial changes in tone, but not the hardness.

Right, I think the Preamp Hardness is changing with the tube types, so the displayed values are correct. You just can't alter those values like you should be able to.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know Beta 8.0 purports to have fixed the lack of saving of hardness value. Does anyone know whether it has also made it so changing the hardness actually results in changes of feel and tone?

Hey, Shredi or somebody...can you double check that the hardness changes the sound? I think I hear something when going from 0 to 10, but it is so subtle that I am not sure whether I'm fooling myself or not. I remember the effect being about as obvious as changing preamp tube type, just in a different way.

Hey, Shredi or somebody...can you double check that the hardness changes the sound? I think I hear something when going from 0 to 10, but it is so subtle that I am not sure whether I'm fooling myself or not. I remember the effect being about as obvious as changing preamp tube type, just in a different way.

When A/B'ing settings of 0.00 & 10.00, there is a very noticeable difference in the sound. Nothing I would call subtle. When switching from 0.00 to 10.00, the tone becomes tighter, punchier & slightly brighter (a little louder too). Whether or not there is as much difference now as there was in previous firmwares, I can't really say for sure, as it's been awhile since I've experimented with the parameter (though it seems to be as I remember).

The only way to know for sure is to load an earlier firmware where the Preamp Hardness is working correctly (I believe the last one was FW 7.01), and see if it behaves the same as with FW 8.00.

When A/B'ing settings of 0.00 & 10.00, there is a very noticeable difference in the sound. Nothing I would call subtle. When switching from 0.00 to 10.00, the tone becomes tighter, punchier & slightly brighter (a little louder too). Whether or not there is as much difference now as there was in previous firmwares, I can't really say for sure, as it's been awhile since I've experimented with the parameter (though it seems to be as I remember).

The only way to know for sure is to load an earlier firmware where the Preamp Hardness is working correctly (I believe the last one was FW 7.01), and see if it behaves the same as with FW 8.00.

I ended up rolling back to 7.02 for the time being. I will have a look at this when 8.0 comes out with the cathodyne fixes. Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom