pykmax... wth?

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. My picking technique has to bridge the gap between normal alternate picking, strumming, hybrid picking and it has to transition between acoustic and electric guitar. I'll change between the JP Jazz III for most applications, with a slik pik for thumbpicking on acoustic. I'm constantly changing the angle and depth of the pick (and probably a thousand other permutations of that) on the fly, and it's just a natural unconscious process for me at this point. This would force me to learn a new technique that appears like it would be much less flexible and adaptable to my needs.

It looks like a lot of thought went into building that pick holder, so maybe it offers something.. I don't know, i don't mind supporting creating people whenever i can.. it's fairly cheap. I've tried so many picks and always end up using Fender Extra heavies 99% of the time :)

I use those really cool picks for some time, and have found them to be nothing short of amazing, in that my picking accuracy has increased considerably. With these picks, I also never worry anymore about dropping the pick or think about how hard I have grip it, so my concentration and attention can be more focused on my playing style and the creative side of things. I've also discovered a playing technique which would have been virtually impossible using a regular pick. I cannot say enough good things about the PYKMAX picks, which took me personally a minimum amount of time to get used to...

Check out my playing with this amazing Pykmax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfLXV24Z9U

I use those really cool picks for some time, and have found them to be nothing short of amazing, in that my picking accuracy has increased considerably. With these picks, I also never worry anymore about dropping the pick or think about how hard I have grip it, so my concentration and attention can be more focused on my playing style and the creative side of things. I've also discovered a playing technique which would have been virtually impossible using a regular pick. I cannot say enough good things about the PYKMAX picks, which took me personally a minimum amount of time to get used to...

Check out my playing with this amazing Pykmax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfLXV24Z9U

I can't help but notice that your post reads like ad copy. Are you affiliated in any way with the company?

So I received my PYKmax pick.. and quickly it went to the never to be used again picks pile.. :)
Unless you have a major problem dropping picks I don't see any benefit at all for this pick.. it doesn't sound that great (got the 1 mm one) and makes you hold the pick in a strange angle (in my opinion of course), oh well I gave it a try.. :)

So I received my PYKmax pick.. and quickly it went to the never to be used again picks pile.. :)
Unless you have a major problem dropping picks I don't see any benefit at all for this pick.. it doesn't sound that great (got the 1 mm one) and makes you hold the pick in a strange angle (in my opinion of course), oh well I gave it a try.. :)

Ditto, I got one last week and I played with it a little, just a little. I showed the other guitar players last weekend, and they thought the same thing. I don't drop picks, so not really a need.

Similar experience for me I'm afraid. I found it really difficult to quickly switch from say sweeping / tapping back to picking using this. Mabe it's something that can be accomplished with more time / practice, though it's back to regular pick for me.

I got it. I tried it. I hate it. First of all, to hold it as designed, I'd either need a smaller hand or a larger unit. I tried it for several hours and *maybe* it's good for someone just learning to get the proper alignment, but for me, who somehow managed to learn to play with a pick in a manner that seems 'proper', though I am self-taught, it's just a straight-jacket: my habits and alignment are already good, I don't need to be forced into it. Also, the actual pick SUCKS. No profiling, cheap-feeling material, inferior in sound and feel to just about any other pick I own, including my generic old Fender heavies. Possibly good for a beginner, or someone who's disability is worse than mine (but they'd better have smaller hands!). Not for me.

I tried it, and found it somewhat limiting. With a regular pick, I don't even think about holding a pick, with the pykmax, it commands too much of my attention. Bottom line is I could get use to the feel, but the sound of it was unacceptable. It sounded thin and lifeless. Now it's just a conversation piece!

Perhaps the makers of the pykmax should learn to play the guitar with a real pick and save us all time, money and web-space and be done with it. :roll

Back
Top Bottom