Pykmax review

SarasotaSwing

Experienced
For starters, I have no affiliation with this company - I just saw the product in another thread and decided to check it out. I've been playing for over 40 years, and while I subscribe to the notion there is no "correct" way to hold a pick, I do believe that some ways are more "efficient" than others. I am self-taught, hold the pick between my thumb and the pad of my index finger (I believe George Benson holds it this way), and the angle of my pick attack is not exactly parallel to the strings. While I have been able to develop significant alternate picking speed, I've pretty much topped out at 128 bpm sixteeenth notes. Since I'm always looking for ways to improve my technique, I gave this product a try. It's basically a small pistol grip with a pick attached, and the picks come in 3 different thicknesses (1 mm being the thickest) and only one size/shape. It's actually quite comfortable, and will force you hold the pick between your thumb and the side of your index finger, with the angle of attack almost parallel to the strings. For me, this would be a complete breaking down and reconstruction of my pick technique, something I'd be willing to do if it yielded noticeable results. The problem for me is the picks themselves - I prefer a smaller pick with a fairly sharp point, with as little flex as possible (I currently use V-Pick Stilettos or Jazz III types), while the Pykmax picks have a very rounded end, flex too much, and are fairly large, leaving too much of the end exposed. For beginners, those who have not fallen into bad habits, or those who are willing to reconstruct their technique I could see how this product could be helpful. I'd definitely encourage the manufacturer to provide a much wider variety of pick sizes, shapes, and thicknesses.

Back
Top Bottom