puzzling question Global Volume/Wah/Formant/Controller EXPRESSION PEDAL

<Paul

So using the Fractal EV-1 Exp pedal can I rig a Global Volume control on the "volume control jacks" (Pedal 1 jack) and use the expression jack to control other controller params like wah, formant, etc (Pedal 2 jack)? Will the volume function disengage when you use the pedal for block controller usage?

That's what I thought, but was not sure why the pedal has two sets of jacks, a vol in/out and a exp jack for TRS. I thought I could maybe use the vol one w a split TRS plug thing and the Exp for other stuff. So no go that, right??

So using the Fractal EV-1 Exp pedal can I rig a Global Volume control on the "volume control jacks" (Pedal 1 jack) and use the expression jack to control other controller params like wah, formant, etc (Pedal 2 jack)? Will the volume function disengage when you use the pedal for block controller usage?
Pedal 1 can be used for anything. it may be "global volume" by default, but can be changed.

Global means global. you can't have a temporary global assignment.

so you have 2 expression pedal jacks, Pedal 1 and Pedal 2. you can choose to lock down one of those with a Global assignment, or you can use both per preset, simply not assigning a global assignment.

That's what I thought, but was not sure why the pedal has two sets of jacks, a vol in/out and a exp jack for TRS. I thought I could maybe use the vol one w a split TRS plug thing and the Exp for other stuff. So no go that, right??
Expression Pedals function with a TRS cable. you can't split a single Pedal jack to use 2 pedals on the same jack.

the FX8 Owner's Manual describes how to setup a Global volume pedal. because it teaches you how to do that, it is an optional setup step. Pedal 1 isn't only a Global Volume control. nowhere in the manual does it say that.

check out the pages that the manual suggests for learning how to do this:

According to the manual:

Do NOT use Expression and Volume functions at the same time or ground loops can occur.
what you've quoted is specifically saying to not use both sets of the physical connections of the EV1. that is about the EV1.

the question in this thread is more about programming the FX8, where you can use the pedal to do volume, or wah, or delay mix, etc. all you want.

Cool info guys, thanks. This forum is priceless. I am sorry to `post so many questions but how else can one learn, right?
I am wondering why the EV-1 has two sets of jacks, the "volume" has an in and out, the exp just the TRS. Once again our friends from Fractal offer not even a piece of paper with the unit.

I am wondering why the EV-1 has two sets of jacks, the "volume" has an in and out, the exp just the TRS. Once again our friends from Fractal offer not even a piece of paper with the unit.
"The EV-1 doubles as an analog volume pedal, with separate IN and OUT jacks connected to an audio-taper pot."

EV1 product page on the store.

it's all there. this is an Expression pedal and an analog volume pedal with the appropriate connections for both.

the question in this thread is more about programming the FX8, where you can use the pedal to do volume, or wah, or delay mix, etc. all you want.
I think the heart of the question is about using the jacks on the EV-1 simultaneously.

Two of those jacks are for using the EV-1 as a traditional volume control. The other is for using it as an expression pedal. The two functions aren’t interchangeable.

"volume control jacks" (Pedal 1 jack) and use the expression jack to control other controller params like wah, formant, etc (Pedal 2 jack)?
I think the heart of the question is about using the jacks on the EV-1 simultaneously.

Two of those jacks are for using the EV-1 as a traditional volume control. The other is for using it as an expression pedal. The two functions aren’t interchangeable.
hmm, on 5th read, i think you're right. the way he phrased and mentioned Pedal 1 jack confused me. if he said fully "using volume control jacks with FX8 Pedal 1 jack..." it would have been clearer.

with that, no. i wouldn't do that.

hmm, on 5th read, i think you're right. the way he phrased and mentioned Pedal 1 jack confused me. if he said fully "using volume control jacks with FX8 Pedal 1 jack..." it would have been clearer.

with that, no. i wouldn't do that.
Yeah, I read it the same way at first.

Do you mean Fractal doesn’t explain it well, or are looking for a physical sheet of paper to have in your hand.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/ev-1/EV-1_Product-Guide.PDF
Yeah, you're right, I am just not great at reading the electronic copy stuff. I'm also an old fart and I struggle with the complex stuff as I am not in my 30s anymore. I do want to thank all of you, been a tremendous help to me, even pointing out what I did not see, which is not unusual for me, lol. I'm a book guy and do better with paper in my hands that I can flip back and forth through for reference. I'll get it, it will just take some time. Only been two days for me and really I have learned so much. I got really good using my GR-55 guitar synth a couple yrs ago and that puppy was complex (yet oddly enough a great manual (in print).
Loving this forum, without it things would massively suck.

I got really good using my GR-55 guitar synth a couple yrs ago and that puppy was complex...
If you can handle the GR-55, you can handle the FX8. You'll have a few "Aha!" moments, and things will really start to click.

I cannot accept that a product is sold and boxed and presented to a customer with absolutely nothing regarding it.
Not even as much as "look this up in the electronic manual pages x-x). Just nothing, it is not kosher nor engineering practice to shunt documentation and let users/customers fight for every scrap of tutorial issue or documentation they may or may not find. I understand it would be difficult to keep up with a printed documentation due to updates, but, a detailed electronic manual is easily updated and maintained and available for easy download.

I am not the fall guy here so do not belittle me because you think you have figured out a few things I may not know about a complex machine. As customers of fairly expensive gear, Fractal Audio are the ones who should provide more detailed information and/or sources to help their customers. It is completely ludicrous to reduce such fine gear with deep param capability to a weak "turn the knobs and see what happens" resolve or to at times insults on a customer forum trying to find things out. How many times have I been curious to know the intent and function of a deep param only to search through stuff hoping someone mentions it but usually it is skipped and left at default.

When I worked in Motorola Semiconductor Process Engineering R&D we did not flaunt our advanced knowledge of tools and machines, we were charged to write detailed regulated specification documents that walked anyone who knew nothing about the unit to run it at its full potential without error. I love this gear and I look forward to further developments but I still implore some effort to documentation of every param and its intent.

It is to their advantage anyone buying their products use it to its full potential and understand it, if they hope to advance the progression of their business and customer base. Do we want to see Fractal Audio attain success and growth or eventually die a slow death as a business? No business or model thereof succeeds without customer service which leads to word of mouth and/or on-line self advertising to sell more products. Axiom" Treat your customers badly and die as a business."
Not asking for anything abnormal or anything new, just full and complete documentation not so dependent on 3rd party users.

I cannot accept that a product is sold and boxed and presented to a customer with absolutely nothing regarding it.
Not even as much as "look this up in the electronic manual pages x-x). Just nothing, it is not kosher nor engineering practice to shunt documentation and let users/customers fight for every scrap of tutorial issue or documentation they may or may not find. I understand it would be difficult to keep up with a printed documentation due to updates, but, a detailed electronic manual is easily updated and maintained and available for easy download.

I am not the fall guy here so do not belittle me because you think you have figured out a few things I may not know about a complex machine. As customers of fairly expensive gear, Fractal Audio are the ones who should provide more detailed information and/or sources to help their customers. It is completely ludicrous to reduce such fine gear with deep param capability to a weak "turn the knobs and see what happens" resolve or to at times insults on a customer forum trying to find things out. How many times have I been curious to know the intent and function of a deep param only to search through stuff hoping someone mentions it but usually it is skipped and left at default.

When I worked in Motorola Semiconductor Process Engineering R&D we did not flaunt our advanced knowledge of tools and machines, we were charged to write detailed regulated specification documents that walked anyone who knew nothing about the unit to run it at its full potential without error. I love this gear and I look forward to further developments but I still implore some effort to documentation of every param and its intent.

It is to their advantage anyone buying their products use it to its full potential and understand it, if they hope to advance the progression of their business and customer base. Do we want to see Fractal Audio attain success and growth or eventually die a slow death as a business? No business or model thereof succeeds without customer service which leads to word of mouth and/or on-line self advertising to sell more products. Axiom" Treat your customers badly and die as a business."
Not asking for anything abnormal or anything new, just full and complete documentation not so dependent on 3rd party users.
You’ve said this many times in many threads. Your background has nothing to do with this. Printing hundreds of pages per thousands of products sold is not today’s paradigm.

The documentation is provided online. Simple.

You’re making it more complicated than it is.

Well I guess we can abandon the forum as it is all readily available and easy to find. It's not complicated, just keep an updated, in one place, detailed manual of the unit, update it with each revision notes. No one is asking for a printed manual of thousands of pages. Just an accurate detailed single source that one can print what they need.
That is simple and if we had that, there would be no need to waste time searching and asking what one cannot find or does not readily see. By the way "today's paradigm" is a highly ignorant, non reading, non comprehending society where books are dying and knowledge is looked down upon for the sake of con men and liars. Don't hate those few of us who just want more information and to understand it.

"(Please do not message me for support)"

Well I guess we can abandon the forum as it is all readily available and easy to find. It's not complicated, just keep an updated, in one place, detailed manual of the unit, update it with each revision notes. No one is asking for a printed manual of thousands of pages. Just an accurate detailed single source that one can print what they need.
That is simple and if we had that, there would be no need to waste time searching and asking what one cannot find or does not readily see. By the way "today's paradigm" is a highly ignorant, non reading, non comprehending society where books are dying and knowledge is looked down upon for the sake of con men and liars. Don't hate those few of us who just want more information and to understand it.

"(Please do not message me for support)"
I feel there is more here than just disliking how the information is handled.

Maybe you’re the one who can help bring it all together. Unless you’re not into that sort of work.

I’ve been here over 10 years helping people without compensation. I can ask people to not barrage me with messages if I want.

Once I understand what I need to know about the unit I own I would be glad to detail information, but how does one get the actual science behind a param when it is not given by the manufacturer? Nothing is worse than no information but bad inaccurate information and I have encountered some of that as well. I really like these products and they are just top shelf, information should not be like hunting for buried treasure or possibly getting someone's user mistaken result. Fractal Audio should bear responsibility for their products not users struggling to comprehend them.

Back
Top Bottom