Putting a Tone Match's settings into a PEQ block

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I got a fantastic tone match from member Romainianreaper of a classic George Lynch tone, and I'm trying to re-create it using a PEQ block so that I: 1) don't need to be dependent on his great tone match (what if I lose it?), and 2) I want to understand what the tone match is doing to the tone so I can re-create this sound whenever I need to with equipment other than the Axefx.

Is there a way to analyze the tone match and get data on what it's doing?

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Mr ScareCrunch - by romanianreaper

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can export it to a user cab slot, then download the .syx to your computer, then covert to .wav, then open it in a convolution plugin that offers visual analysis.

You can probably do what you're trying to do using Izotope Ozone's matching function also. It provides a PEQ representation of the match.

the frequency plot will be too complex to represent using a 5 band peq. if you select the block in axe edit (or via the front panel) you can see what the actual curve looks like

you can either export the tone match as a cab block, or alternatively, if you use axe edit, you can save the tone match data as a block in your block library. just select the TMA block in the layout and click on the little "+" sign next to the block library window down the bottom left corner of the window and save it

Reactions: Rex
Yeah, I tried exporting it into a user cab block, but when I tried the new user cab, it sounded awful. Not sure why.

Yeah, I tried exporting it into a user cab block, but when I tried the new user cab, it sounded awful. Not sure why.

That's unusual. I do it all the time and it always sounds exactly the same, although with a bit less level. That's easily adjusted by raising the level in the cab block.

Are you sure you didn't have room level, air, motor drive, or any things like that turned on in the cab block? The cab block should be completely dry if you're wanting the exact same tone as the TM block.

Try using something like Logic Pro's "match EQ".

1. record a dry signal (no amps/fx/etc) from the Axe-Fx
  2. create a match EQ "template" with a recording of the output of the dry signal through the Axe with your amps/fx including Tone Match enabled
  3. create a match EQ "current" with a recording of the output of the dry signal through the Axe with your amps/fx excluding Tone Match
  4. add a PEQ block on your Axe-Fx to try to simulate the match EQ results
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the match EQ result is as flat as possible

It would probably be best for you to just ask... "Hey guys here is a great patch that I have with tone match data, can someone please export the IR for me and post it here, pretty please, with a cherry on top"?

I'd be more than happy to do that once I get home tonight.

It would probably be best for you to just ask... "Hey guys here is a great patch that I have with tone match data, can someone please export the IR for me and post it here, pretty please, with a cherry on top"?

I'd be more than happy to do that once I get home tonight.

Yay!!!! Yes, Please Mauricio!!! That would be a great help!! Thank you!!

Sorry for the delay... I didn't get home until after 11:00pm yesterday and today I just got home. Looks like your patch was created in 9.x, I'm currently using 12.01 but the TM data should still be the same.

Attachments

• Mr ScareCrunch.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 11
Sorry for the delay... I didn't get home until after 11:00pm yesterday and today I just got home. Looks like your patch was created in 9.x, I'm currently using 12.01 but the TM data should still be the same.

Thanks so much, Mauricio! I don't know why this wasn't working for me eariler.

I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Guys,

I still don't get it... I tried mortega76's (Mauricio) user cab he created from the tone match Romainianreaper did of George Lynch's Mr. Scary, and the same problem happened. Once I tried the new user cab, with the same preset and amp as before (original tone match block muted) it sounded horrible! Like a Tom Scholz Rockman exploding..

What could be the problem here? Can anyone here try mortega76's above user cab to see if it sounds decent/working correctly for you?

Back
Top Bottom