• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Put a guitar level jack in the back

rpray

I would like a jack that is like the one in the front put in the back so that I can plug my wireless in without running the cable around the outside of my box or have to run it through an empty slot. Just a simple switch jack that turns off the front jack and reroutes the signal from the rear jack..

chris

Legend!
You can put the wireless into a rear input. I do it all the time. No level issues.

It's suggested to use the front for the special filter intended for guitar. But I don't experience much of a difference.

Sleestak

Power User
On the Wiki, there is a statement from Cliff indicating to always use the front input for instrument, whether wired or wireless. I'd prefer to use the rear input for the same reason: wireless receiver in my rack has its output in the rear of the unit. There is a noticeable difference between the front and rear jacks.

svl

Power User
I definitely notice a difference between the front & back inputs. Never quite understood not having a "Special Sauce" jack in the back as well...

chris

Legend!
Can you describe the difference heard? Maybe I haven't A/B'd in a while.

The Ultra definitely had a major difference, I don't remember it being too noticeable on the II. Maybe I'll try it again :)

It just looks so nice with nothing plugged into the front.

svl

Power User
Had done it long ago with my II because I've always really wanted to use the back with my G90 (agreed, just cleaner looking), and when I got my XL a couple weeks ago I once again pitted the front vs. the back just for the hell of it.

There's more clarity and "punch" in the front, while the back input seems slightly muted, or EQ'ed a tad middier than the front.

I also A/B'ed my II vs. the XL's front input to see if Cliff's improvement really made a difference. It did, but it wasn't as pronounced a difference as front to back on either unit.

Edited to note- the difference really jumps out with high clarity PUPs like my WCR Godwoods (which are in almost all my humbucking guitars- Jim makes the best damn pickups in the world)...

SilverPlated

Inspired
Had done it long ago with my II because I've always really wanted to use the back with my G90 (agreed, just cleaner looking), and when I got my XL a couple weeks ago I once again pitted the front vs. the back just for the hell of it.

There's more clarity and "punch" in the front, while the back input seems slightly muted, or EQ'ed a tad middier than the front.

I also A/B'ed my II vs. the XL's front input to see if Cliff's improvement really made a difference. It did, but it wasn't as pronounced a difference as front to back on either unit.

Edited to note- the difference really jumps out with high clarity PUPs like my WCR Godwoods (which are in almost all my humbucking guitars- Jim makes the best damn pickups in the world)...
Did you just switch them around?

svl

Power User
Yeah, just plugged the G90 in the back, then moved the same cable (Lava Mogami) to the front. Recorded a bit (direct) with both as well so I could listen more closely and definitely heard a difference.

Dino334

Inspired
I read the comments on the board regarding this topic and many have said there is not much of a difference. So I've played at rehearsals and shows both ways, wireless plugged in the front and back. Using the back I get a somewhat brighter and upper mid sound tone. It's not a deal breaker and I adjusted my tone for it. But I found the front input does have a smoother and punchier tone to it. I've come to the conclusion the front input works best for me. Having an extra rack space made it easy to route a cable to the front. I use an L 90 degree 1/4 Jack and it looks see less plugged into the secret sauce input jack.

chris

Legend!
So the back is both duller and brighter with more mids than the front, which has more punch?

This was annoying me too, so when I made a patch bay through Vafam, I asked for a 1/4 input on the far right side. The cable plugs into the G90 output, and a little Mogami patch cable connects the Axe to the panel. Clean and simple.

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Got to admire your patience! :)

I actually remember this thread starting back 4 and a half years ago and had to constrain myself from introducing smutty innuendos to it. I was only a child back then of course.

I'm unfortunately still on a II here but glad to hear all you lucky III owners have special sauce in your back inputs

Top Bottom