Pushing the Cleans

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I'm very satisfied with the Vibratro Verb as my main clean AMP. But I can't find a satisfying DRIVE type and settings to go along with it.

So here's my question: which DRIVE (type and settings) works well with the Vibrato Verb?

AND/OR

which clean AMP and DRIVE work well?

I'm very satisfied with the Vibratro Verb as my main clean AMP. But I can't find a satisfying DRIVE type and settings to go along with it.

So here's my question: which DRIVE (type and settings) works well with the Vibrato Verb?

AND/OR

which clean AMP and DRIVE work well?

Hey Voes
I use 2 clean amps. The USA clean and the CA3+ amp and it sounds fat and vibrant. I can't remember what cab I use coz I'm not at home ATM and can't check. I had to turn the volumes down on both amps obviously but the amp I keep more up front is the CA3+. It's brighter and has more zing so I keep the USA clean a little more in the background. With the neck and middle pickups, it's sounds great. A little reverb helps.
As for drive pedal, I wanted to be able to flick to my humbucker and use that drive pedal to have a nice creamy overdrive sound as well as the clean when my drive was bypassed, so I went for the BB pedal. If you want a little less 'hair', use the T808 pedal.
I think it sounds warm. If ur interested in the settings, I'll send them.

Deluxe Verb for clean everything around noon, and for OD I use a Tube driver around 8 on the drive. Oh cab is a Basketweave G12M25 (RW) mic is a 67 Cond.

Last edited:
RCB seems to work with anything. Also the bassman 59 amp works as a nice dirty boost pedal!

+1 on the zen master for pushing the lo-mid gain amps. That might be my favorite pedal in the axe.... unless they add maxon od 808.

I've only been using the axe for a few days but I've found the TS 808 to be a great drive pedal, one thing that really did it for me was turning the Clip Type setting to "None", it sounds a lot smoother that way. Set Drive to taste!

+1 on the zen master for pushing the lo-mid gain amps. That might be my favorite pedal in the axe.... unless they add maxon od 808.

this is my favorite pedal in and out of the Axe.

Others of major note that sound identical to their real life counterparts and work well with low-to mid gain amps are

RC Boost
BB Pre

To me with those three pedals you can a lot of ground.

They were my favorites with my tube rigs and pedalboards and they are my favorites with the Axe-FX (FW10 +)

For me the Twin seems to take an OD pedal the best. I really like where I can take it using a TS808.

My other favourite is the Supremo Trem and a 15" speaker. I use this for a pushed, gritty sound. I get a really nice, full, yet gritty mild crunch by turning up the gain on this amp.

Terry.

Vibroverb has been my #1 for years.

I think it sounds outlandishly good with a Fat Rat (drive=0, level 6-10). Sometimes a blues OD with the gain set lower then swervedriver's 7-8. Also if using the Blues OD, I'll just the tone down b/c it can get pretty bright. I'll try different amps, but I always come back to the Vverb.

Question back at you: what kind of drive tone do you want? Are you pushing the clean to gritty or trying to change it to something more creamy and saturated?

Or something else....?

Also, I assume there are good reasons you're trying to do this with a drive pedal instead of 2 amps (scenes) or XY...

Also; it is true that you can get some pretty incredible tone changes from just a drive pedal in front of an AMP block.

Another thing I've done to help extend the range of the change is to also use a PEQ after an amp. It turns on with the drive. Together, these give a single amp two VERY distinct voices without much CPU overhead, without using SCENES or XY...

Also; it is true that you can get some pretty incredible tone changes from just a drive pedal in front of an AMP block.

Another thing I've done to help extend the range of the change is to also use a PEQ after an amp. It turns on with the drive. Together, these give a single amp two VERY distinct voices without much CPU overhead, without using SCENES or XY...

Now that you mention this, I use this some (both before and after the amp) but I think give peq 4 the same CC as the drive will allow me to use it a bit more seamlessly.

I like to place a vol block before the amp that I can switch in and out to give a little boost when needed

works great with the JCM800 set clean.. the vol boost pushes it into an edgier vibe

Yes, that's the idea Sean... Same CC for PEQ 4 and DRIVE 1. It's really like 2 amps in one. I do this on a certain rig where we get 4 distinct amp tones from one preset.

Question back at you: what kind of drive tone do you want? Are you pushing the clean to gritty or trying to change it to something more creamy and saturated?

Or something else....?

Also, I assume there are good reasons you're trying to do this with a drive pedal instead of 2 amps (scenes) or XY...

For me it is both.

It is the way I played with my old 67 Twin for years.

1) RCB For body or slight grit
2) BB for Crunch
3) Zen For Smooth and Creamy.

My variation to this theme is with the Fractal. I use the old 1-2-3 with the Twin amp but switch to the Fender Deluxe Tweed punched with the RCB and a 4db null filter at the end of the chain for lead tones.

I cover 80% of the tunes I do in the band with this patch.

Balance I use a Dumble or straight up Fender Tweed patch and for one tune I use a Plexi.

that is it. So far so good!

Here is a picture of my last board before I took it apart for the MFC (repurposed the Trailer Trash)

The basic theme -- holds -- except that I had a Klon instead of an RCB. The Zen in combination with the Klon gave me super saturated lead tone that was out of this world.

file_zps363a9f7b.jpg

That Trailer Trash Board became this

file_zpsf773f264.jpg

Last edited:
Deluxe Verb for clean everything around noon, and for OD I use a Tube driver around 8 on the drive. Oh cab is a Basketweave G12M25 (RW) mic is a 67 Cond.

That works well indeed. Thanks!

Works also well with my Vibroverb patch!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom