Purchases to go with the AX8?

Saki

Hello,

After some consideration, I decided to go for an AX8 and am on G66's waiting list. Even though I'll keep my tube amp for a while, I want to use the AX8 with a FRFR monitor. So I have a few questions.

1) Regarding the "secondary" purchases, there will be a good cable (like the Humbuster) to go between the AX8 and the monitor, and an expression pedal like the EV-1. Did I miss something else for home use?

As for the monitor itself, I searched this forum and a few others. At this point I think I'll buy the Matrix Q12a also sold by G66, but there are a few things I wasn't able to find about its use.

2) I'm playing mostly metal. In theory, an FRFR monitor is neutral, but just in case, is it a good choice for this style? I saw people suggest the Atomic CLR, but I don't really know how different from the Q12a it could be.
3) I also have a 5-string bass, and the lowest string is around 30 Hz. The Q12a goes as low as 40 Hz, while the CLR goes only to 70 Hz. Will it really be a problem?
4) The Q12a is a 260W speaker. Is it too powerful for home use? Will it sound good at rather low volume? If at some point I start rehearsing with a band, could I just buy a Q12 (passive) and plug it on the slave cab output of the Q12a to be heard?

Of course I'd also be grateful for other advice on that same topic. :)

Thanks for your answer. I already went through that section. Some of those monitors don't seem to be easily available in Europe. Moreover, I didn't find the specific information that I asked above (if they're appropriate for metal and home use).

Didn't realize you were in Europe, maybe some others will have some input .... :( I should have picked up that you are on the G66 waiting list.

Hello,

After some consideration, I decided to go for an AX8 and am on G66's waiting list. Even though I'll keep my tube amp for a while, I want to use the AX8 with a FRFR monitor. So I have a few questions.

1) Regarding the "secondary" purchases, there will be a good cable (like the Humbuster) to go between the AX8 and the monitor, and an expression pedal like the EV-1. Did I miss something else for home use?

As for the monitor itself, I searched this forum and a few others. At this point I think I'll buy the Matrix Q12a also sold by G66, but there are a few things I wasn't able to find about its use.

2) I'm playing mostly metal. In theory, an FRFR monitor is neutral, but just in case, is it a good choice for this style? I saw people suggest the Atomic CLR, but I don't really know how different from the Q12a it could be.
3) I also have a 5-string bass, and the lowest string is around 30 Hz. The Q12a goes as low as 40 Hz, while the CLR goes only to 70 Hz. Will it really be a problem?
4) The Q12a is a 260W speaker. Is it too powerful for home use? Will it sound good at rather low volume? If at some point I start rehearsing with a band, could I just buy a Q12 (passive) and plug it on the slave cab output of the Q12a to be heard?

Of course I'd also be grateful for other advice on that same topic. :)

Having been down a similar road in the past: my suggestion would be to wait until you get it, and then take it around (as its nice and portable) and see what works for you. But, It certainly helps to narrow the field to likely prospects ahead of time.

Haven't tried a Q12a, but based on the manual, I would guess that although the Q12a specs 40 hz to 20khz: its likely down -10db at 40hz (like similar products). Great for 6 or 7 string guitar. Not enough for metal bass in a performance situation. Also: the speaker excursion for the low bass guitar range is also beyond what a FRFR 12" speaker can survive for any length of time (though protective circuitry may intervene)

A bass really needs a speaker designed to handle its power requirements in the lower octave. To get thumping fundamental tone from a five (or even 4) string bass will necessitate either a dedicated bass guitar amp/cabinet, or adding a subwoofer (small is OK) to the FRFR.

The 70hz for the CLR would be fine for guitar, but not bass.

260w SS is great: enough headroom for quality sound at volume, enough power for bass. FRFR tend to sound good at any volume, unlike many guitar speakers which need to be at least moderately loud to really sing.

Last edited:
Thanks for those precise answers. :)

Also: the speaker excursion for the low bass guitar range is also beyond what a FRFR 12" speaker can survive for any length of time (though protective circuitry may intervene)

Does it mean that, if I use a bass, I should remain at low volume as a precaution? Or that I should avoid playing bass with it altogether?

A bass really needs a speaker designed to handle its power requirements in the lower octave. To get thumping fundamental tone from a five (or even 4) string bass will necessitate either a dedicated bass guitar amp/cabinet, or adding a subwoofer (small is OK) to the FRFR.

The Q12a manual doesn't mention anything about a subwoofer, but it has a slave cab output. Should I understand that I can't plug a subwoofer on it? I made a quick search and didn't find much about FRFR monitor having the ability to function with a subwoofer...

If you don't mind, I have an additional question. My hifi system (which has separate preamp and poweramp) has old speakers that I was thinking about replacing. Later on, could I buy a second FRFR monitor (for stereo) and use the pair for the AX8 *and* my hifi system with a small mixing desk?

FRFR monitors may not be the best choice for hi-fi speaker, but they will surely work.

Most subwoofers will have a built-in cross-over filter, så you will run you (stereo) signal to the subwoofer and through to the FRFR monitors. The subwoofer will process the signal through the cross-over filter, play the low frequencies and pass on the higher frequencies to the FRFRs.

If you run a stereo setup with two FRFR speakers, one sub will usually be enough, since most are able to process a stereo signal, pass on the higher frequency stereo signal to the FRFRs and then collapse the low frequence stereo signal to a mono signal that a single sub can play.

Thanks. :) After reading your answer, I browsed the subwoofer section of a couple of online shops, and I understand better now. This means I could add a subwoofer later, and choose my FRFR monitor independently.

Since I'm not a bassist (I just dabble in bass guitar), I think I'll stick with a monitor like the Q12a, which should hopefully work fine with the AX8 and my 7-string guitar at home. All the options remain open to, later on, add a slave monitor for rehearsal, a subwoofer for my bass, a second monitor for hifi, and so on.

The only question remaining is, should I take an active monitor, or a passive one + power amp. An active one is cheaper and will be enough at first, but if I start piling on monitors the answer may be different.

Now all I have to do is wait for the AX8. ;)

Thanks. :) After reading your answer, I browsed the subwoofer section of a couple of online shops, and I understand better now. This means I could add a subwoofer later, and choose my FRFR monitor independently.
Exactly, I have been using KRK RP6 G2 in my home studio for years. They are OK, but they do not play any bass frequencies (they do not seem to go below 65 Hz or so). I have recently added a cheap subwoofer, and now I get a much fuller sound, and I can actually hear what the bass is playing on tracks that I need/want to cover. Before, I would have to resort to headphones to hear the bass properly.
Now all I have to do is wait for the AX8. ;)

Don't we all :)

I have the Matrix GT1000FX 1U rack amp which I was already using with my AxeFX and conventional guitar cabs stereo set up. Works great but I then wanted to try FRFR monitoring on stage and not just the FOH DI feed.

I got a Matrix FR212 (passive mono FRFR 2x12 cab) and ran it from one channel of the GT1000FX. Great cab - but mono. They are too large (and expensive) for me to consider getting another one to go stereo.

I've been using 2 1x12 cabs with my tube rigs for many years and I like the format in terms of transport and footprint on stage (can stack them or spread them depending on space available).

So ..... I toyed with the idea of getting a couple of Matrix Q12 passives ....... but at that time Matrix were temporarily out of stock so I by chance came across these 'DIY' kits from Germany http://www.kpa-solutions.com/camper-plus-kit/

I took a chance on ordering a kit seeing as the cost was attractive and built it up

They actually turned out great!

The first thing I will say is IGNORE the sound demo video of the guy playing one. Close mic'ing a FRFR cab with a SM57 is NEVER going to be any help in hearing what the cabs are actually sounding like! You need to be in the room using your own ears.

In FRFR mode the HF tweeter is not as prominent as the Matrix FR212's .... which is not a handicap because it actually makes them sound a lot more guitar cab like ...... and the Matrix cab can quite easily give you tweeter squeal at higher volumes if not careful.

They also have a 'Flat Response guitar' input which bypasses the tweeter and uses the broad band 12 inch speaker only which is handy if you've your output hi-cut to normal guitar speaker freq restraints and just want a little extra highs for FX transients or a tight stage makes FRFR monitoring difficult due to feedback.

If you've already got a SS amp these little guys might just surprise you! Titman Ritter (the owner) is also a nice guy to deal with.

He has active cabs too - but I haven't done any research on those as I only wanted passives - but might be worth looking at if you're in the EU

Last edited:

Since I'm not a bassist (I just dabble in bass guitar), I think I'll stick with a monitor like the Q12a, which should hopefully work fine with the AX8 and my 7-string guitar at home. All the options remain open to, later on, add a slave monitor for rehearsal, a subwoofer for my bass, a second monitor for hifi, and so on.

The only question remaining is, should I take an active monitor, or a passive one + power amp. An active one is cheaper and will be enough at first, but if I start piling on monitors the answer may be different...

Getting a Q12a or similar active for stage/monitor and home use sounds like the way to go. Get more later if you need it. Presumably most places you play out will have a PA, which will take care of the rest.

For bass: get a dedicated bass amp. I use an old road worn bass combo amp I got on the cheap. Easier than adding a sub which I don't need otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom