Purchased Patches

nandro48

I have purchased multiple patches online with limited success (Lasse Lambert from STL Tones, Metal Pack from Choptones, Rock & Metal Pack from Fremen, etc.). These have all been a letdown. I play a lot of Killswitch / Lamb of God -- these packs produce "flubby" soft rock sounds at best. I'm running my Axe Fx 3 through HS8's using a Caparison Dellinger guitar. Everyone seems obsessed with Fremen's material, and I found it to be garbage. Am I doing something wrong?

Presets may not work well for everyone too many variables.

Your monitoring environment is very important if your room ( untreated) colors the sound badly due to different reasons everything will sound bad unless you make some eq cuts , which then will reflect badly when you record and hear on other systems. You dont necessarily have to treat your room but you need to figure if what sounds in your room sounds close enough after recording on different earphones headphones ,speakers etc.

If you can figure out how your room colors the audio you can use output eq in setup page to offset that and make it sound as flat as possible

If your problem is just gain or distortion you can tweak around the amps on your own, for a given preset.

Try to make your own presets as well.

I found Austin Buddy's Naked Amps pack to be a waste as well. I'm done buying patches. They all lack that "chug" or "balls" for lack of a better term. To me they sound like crappy practice amps and get harsh when volume is remotely high.

I'm honestly overwhelmed by the # of Amps and Cabs which is why I started buying packs. I know very little about cabs since I went from owning combo amps to the Axe. Is there a way to narrow down the IR list so I'm not scrolling through thousands of cabs?

I found Austin Buddy's Naked Amps pack to be a waste as well. I'm done buying patches. They all lack that "chug" or "balls" for lack of a better term. To me they sound like crappy practice amps and get harsh when volume is remotely high.

I'm honestly overwhelmed by the # of Amps and Cabs which is why I started buying packs. I know very little about cabs since I went from owning combo amps to the Axe. Is there a way to narrow down the IR list so I'm not scrolling through thousands of cabs?
Find a cab with the speakers that tend to work with a particular amp, Recto, Lerxst or Citrus 4x12 IRs with Vintage 30s typically work with high gain tones. Try the IRs that are mic'd with a 57 (Shure SM57) and dial in the amp as you would on a physical amp. From there, add or try 121 (Royer 121) mic'd IRs.

I bought Fremen's Floyd Pack and love it. I am still learning myself (2 month owner here) and seeing the setup with routing, scenes, controllers etc has been a big help figuring things out. Not sure I will need anymore packs going forward, unless there's a special tone match or IR required to get the sound I want. And you should look into making a tone match block of your own - the one I did for my acoustic worked great.

Everyone seems obsessed with Fremen's material, and I found it to be garbage.

I found Austin Buddy's Naked Amps pack to be a waste as well. I'm done buying patches.

I think you have answered your own questions. Nobody can create the patches you require apart from yourself. Stop buying them and start creating your own perfect creations. When they are perfect you could always think about selling them.

Just shows how everyone’s ears and requirements are different. I’ve used a ton of Austin Buddy’s presets live with no tweaking at all and loved the tone. But also playing a different type of music. I bet you can get what you’re after but will just require some more time and effort to get there. Good luck! 🤟

Last edited:
I have purchased multiple patches online with limited success (Lasse Lambert from STL Tones, Metal Pack from Choptones, Rock & Metal Pack from Fremen, etc.). These have all been a letdown. I play a lot of Killswitch / Lamb of God -- these packs produce "flubby" soft rock sounds at best. I'm running my Axe Fx 3 through HS8's using a Caparison Dellinger guitar. Everyone seems obsessed with Fremen's material, and I found it to be garbage. Am I doing something wrong?
try the stock petrucci rig preset, turn off the pitch block and replace the cab block with a simple single cab IR of your liking (spend some time going through the recto and orange cabs until you find something that gets you close to the sound you like). The cab is a huge part of the sound, especially for metal, and I've found that this is a good way to find IRs I like, having an amp block that is already set pretty much perfectly. You could do the same thing with any of the factory presets that get in the ballpark of what you're looking for, then just explore different cabs to get you the rest of the way there (at least that's what I do now after having spent way too much money on preset packs!)

Leon Todds looper IR trick was the same one I used to use to navigate all the IR's

Set a little bit of time per day to nail down the ones you want then work on the amps.

I seriously hope if there is an Axe-Fx 4 they do away will all the IR's and just use a menu/sub menu of Cabinet type, speaker type and a mic position

Will be a lot of work to capture but will make it a hell of a lot more user friendly.

If you are a metal guy you probably want to stay away from the more mid/medium gain sellers but saying that STL is pure marketing from my experience.

As far as buying presets goes, they will never sound the same unless you use the same guitar and pickups as was used by the person designing them, and you have the same monitors (or very close) to what they used to dial them in with.

Presets that sound great on one guitar often sound terrible on another. I have multiple guitars and have had to design presets for each guitar I use.

Are you doing something wrong? Well yeah, posting and calling someone elses work "garbage" is just wrong.

My hands/guitar won't sound like anyone else through the same preset monitored thru the same speakers/room - an expensive lesson I took a long time to learn. Inversely, given the same Axefx global settings and monitored thru the same speakers/room, player X will sound exactly the same playing preset Y through my Axefx as he/she does playing preset Y on his/her Axefx. In this context differences can only be from hands/guitar. In 12 years with Axefx the only way I was ever able to get a sound I like when I played was learning to do my own presets from scratch - others' presets have been good teachers / starting points for me but I always had to dial them in for myself.

My hands/guitar won't sound like anyone else through the same preset monitored thru the same speakers/room - an expensive lesson I took a long time to learn. Inversely, given the same Axefx global settings and monitored thri the same speakers/room, player X will sound exactly the same playing preset Y through my Axefx as he/she does playing preset Y on his/her Axefx. In this context differences can only be from hands/guitar. In 12 years with Axefx the only way I was ever able to ger a sound I like when I played was learning to do my own presets from scratch - others preset have been good teachers / starting points for me but I always have to dial them in for myself.
yep alot of people underestimate the effect room and monitoring conditions have on how you can sound if you use monitors. having a proper calibration for a room via global settings or something like sonar woks is extremely beneficial.

yep alot of people underestimate the effect room and monitoring conditions have on how you can sound if you use monitors. having a proper calibration for a room via global settings or something like sonar woks is extremely beneficial.
but it can be rendered irrelevant in this context: If I listen to Marco Fanton's unpostproduced lossless sample clip for patch X thru my ABC monitors/room, then I play guitar using the exact same patch X thru my ABC monitors/room @ same Axefx global settings, and wonder why I don't sound like Marco, there is only one answer possible: hands/guitar - regardless of whether my monitors are good/bad calibrated or not.

Last edited:

Verify that Power Amp Modeling is switched on in Setup > Global, and that Input 1 Gain is at "1" in Setup > I/O.
Better, just reset the system params in Setup > Utility.

Back
Top Bottom