Purchase FX8 or AX8

catscanman82

Inspired
I am on the waiting list for an FX8 but there is no wait for AX8. With people who have experience with both what would be the best thing to do. I would use it in the 4cm plus maybe play around with amp and cab models. All insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I seriously considered the AX8 over the FX8 but chose the FX8 was because I am very pleased with the amps I have and there's really no reason for me to consider going direct. The AX8 has the same effects as the FX8 so there is going to be a tangible difference between them. The FX8 uses higher quality components for connectivity and offers channel switching. The AX8 offers an incredible list of amps and cabs but at the end of the day it usually comes down to 3 or 4 that will actually get used. All of the amps make it enticing and actually quite fun for a while but why sacrifice what you want or need for features that really won't get used.

Bottom line for me was they were about the same price so there is going to be a difference in quality or features somewhere. You're wanting to use the 4CM, something the FX8 was specifically built for. If you're happy with your amps, the FX8 would be the way to go in my opinion. The fact that you're asking indicates you're still sold on the FX8 but it's the 'bird in the hand' scenario right now. If you go with the AX8, you may end up wishing you had waited.

I have both and as suggested - if you like your amp and moving it works for your gigs then the FX8 is the best option. This is especially true if channel switching is part of your regular routine. I rarely use my amp for gigs but being able to program presets that incorporated channel switching with such a quiet 4CM and great delays and reverb with the ability to use expression pedals made this an ideal pedal board replacement.

If you have an amp with an effects loop that you love the sound of, get the FX8. If you must go direct to the board, AX8.
That is all. :)

It is a real dilemna... FX8 or AX8...

I own both at the moment. My FX8 is a MK 1, and I love it.

My AX8 is a few weeks old, and I run both through a Carr Rambler and a Lazy J20. No effects loop, straight in the front end.

The FX8 is simply awesome. No levels needed, no probs with unity gain. Plug in. Bang. Superb...

The AX8 takes a little more tweaking to get 'unity'. Initial thoughts were that i was going to return the AX8. Then, i started playing with it and WOW !!! Ever heard a (modelled) Dumble into a (real) Rambler ??? Awesome.

So, Im kinda keeping both at the moment ! Learning all the while with the AX8. But, even with the amp blocks ON, it can still sound awesome into 'real' amps...

Was thinking of getting an ax8 for travel and to use with heads.
Ended up with Fx8.
All I know I prefer it for 4CM way more than my two or Ultras. Didn't have any ground issues or gain adjust needs.

Get the AX8... unless you need the relays to switch your amp, the AX8 has everything in the FX8.
Except it has a souoed up version of the axe2 looper.
Stereo undo is 1 minute...max. Mono no undo 4 minutes.
Also 4CM comparing Axe2 (which I'm guessing is close enough to Axe8) is enough reason for me to grab fx8 over my axe2 and MFC set up.

Oh and I forgot...routing guitar/fx8/amp in 4cm I run line out of the amp into IR loader. So I have sterero DI outs and mono post out to amp/miked cab. Not sure how I could do this with axe2 or a8.

Except it has a souoed up version of the axe2 looper.
Stereo undo is 1 minute...max. Mono no undo 4 minutes.
Also 4CM comparing Axe2 (which I'm guessing is close enough to Axe8) is enough reason for me to grab fx8 over my axe2 and MFC set up.

The AX8 has the same 4 min looper. and the same fx loop to route fx blocks using 4CM...

The AX8 used in a 4CM with my badcat and Shiva amps has proven me it is the most trasnaprent fx unit i have ever had, its cristal clear.

Unfortunetly i see the benefits of the relays included that the AX8 dont have, but it is no thing you cant do using midi interfaces, its just more things to deal with.

The AX8 has the same 4 min looper. and the same fx loop to route fx blocks using 4CM...
Except as I said it's not the same, the Axe8, according to its manual has a Looper that is between 1 to 4 Minute Max depending on stereo/mono undo/no undo.
The Fx8 has 2 to 8 Minute max.
More importantly it is the same looper as in my Axe2 just more memory. Meaning it needs a block and changing presets won't keep the loop. That alone would have me want the FX8.

I explained above but seeing that you think the fx8 has an fx block I simplify...it doesn't. The architecture is not ax minus amp models. You have 8 fx that you can route serial or parallel, either through pre or post...no fx loop block there.
The set up I was describing was using a head with it going to cab and mic as well as IR loader.
If I wanted to do this with my Ax2 or an Ax8 it can't happen since with the 4cm it takes the fx loop block to rout the signal to and from the amps loop. Then I take the Amps direct out post power amp to the IR loader. Show me how I can do this without another set of I/o on the Axe2 or 8.

Lastly according to the Ax8 the Fx8 is optimized for unity gain, I've been using an AxeFx ( first ultra then axe2) for a decade in 4cm and Always had to deal with groud issues. On this even without humbuster cables no such issues.

As for the relays, having the ability to trigger stuff by scene change with the relays is what I missed since ditching the g system.

I have zero issue with you preferring the Ax8 but if you're advising others at least let's not change facts to fiction.

Last edited:
Hey Ed! It's been a long time since the Univalve forum!
It's pretty simple for me. Get the FX8.
I owned both and sold the AX8 because I hated the tone suck in 4CM. The FX8 is built for that purpose.
I'm hoping they'll offer a small modeler that we can use 4CM with the FX8 to get a few models and cabs.

Back
Top Bottom