Pulsing noise after signal decayed, while having USB connected to computer

hank205

I've been searching for days on how to solve this issue. I've seen threads talking about buzzing noise from the USB, but not a pulsing noise like mine..

It only happens when I have AXE FX2's USB connected with computer (I like to have the AXE-Edit opened all the time).
There is a funny pulsing noise when my guitar signal decayed, sounds like twisting a rubber? I also see the blinking light at the Focusrite input.

My Setup:
Computer - Focusrite - Monitor
AXE FX2 output -> Focusrite input
AXE FX2 usb -> Computer (this connection causes the issue)

I'm not sure if this is caused by the so-called usb ground loop, but I am using the same power strip for all my devices.
I even bought a USB isolator (Full Speed USB Data and Power Isolator (FEN-0003), by Foundation Engineering),
but somehow it does not even connect. I may need to try some other brands..

Last edited:
I would suggest trying a different computer since I had found a similar issue had gone away when I tried a different computer.

Eventually, it seemed to fix itself on the original computer.

It have just been some kind of USB issue on my original computer since it was an older computer and I have had strange USB issues here and there over the years that fix themselves or require me to reset some drivers on it.

If changing computers fixes it then at least you know the cause of the problem.

Probably sounds crazy, but this happened to me and I was like wth? Come to find out it was my cell phone nearby. It was going off and pulsing in coming though. I moved it away from my setup and it solved this issue for me.

I would suggest trying a different computer since I had found a similar issue had gone away when I tried a different computer.

Eventually, it seemed to fix itself on the original computer.

It have just been some kind of USB issue on my original computer since it was an older computer and I have had strange USB issues here and there over the years that fix themselves or require me to reset some drivers on it.

If changing computers fixes it then at least you know the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I changed to use a MacBook, and the pulsing noise disappeared.
Apparently, the Alienware laptop I was using is causing the issue :coldsweat: .

Well, good to hear you determined the cause of the issue since I had originally thought it was possibly my power amp that was making the sound (I was really glad it was not the issue) then I found it was the AXE FX through the older computer (fixed on another computer) and each of these items cost way more than the older computer that could be easily replaced.

I started looking into getting an iPad to use along with FracPad III to work around the issue but then the computer issue fixed itself and the issue went away on the computer that was causing issue with the XL+ :)

I had found that my cellphone being near it was also adding to the problem as well (as mentioned by Dan_CFH above this post).

Try the Alienware laptop again but make sure you don't have your cellphone around it.

It might have been adding to the problem.

The funny things is that I just purchased an AX8 and I connected it up right now and I found that issue is back again and affecting the AX8.

Fortunately, I know the computer is the issue, however, it is interesting that it went away for the XL+ (I played on it just 10 minutes ago) but just showed up for the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom