Pulling my hair out over frfr choices.

jhuggins

Inspired
Ok so I've pretty much narrowed it down to a K12 atomic FR, or a deal i just got offered on a mackie hd. But my question is has anyone used both a qsc k series and the atomic!!! Im about to pull the trigger on the qsc but I gotta know I'm not really missing something with the atomics. You see I want to eventually get another K12 and use it as a full PA for my band and switch to IEM's (5 year plan if you will) but if I'm missing some sort of bloom or in room feeling with the atomic it makes the decision that much harder. Someone please put my mind at ease as I will probably not have the opportunity to try any of these options first hand, not a whole lot of guitar centers around jonesboro, AR.

I've not tried the Atomic, but I've tried all of the k series against the fbt verve 12ma and the 8ma. Please keep in mind, this is purely my opinion, but the k series offered lots of power, more than I would need and were lighter. But there was something in the upper midrange that made the guitar seem unreal or very digital. The verve 8ma and 12ma both did a better job a more realistic guitar tones. I really wanted to like the k series, but in the end, my ears didn't like what I was hearing when compared to the verve 12ma or 8ma. To me it boiled downed to more realistic guitar tones. I ended up with the 8ma and the 12ma......very happy! YMMV

ckofahl said:
I've not tried the Atomic, but I've tried all of the k series against the fbt verve 12ma and the 8ma. Please keep in mind, this is purely my opinion, but the k series offered lots of power, more than I would need and were lighter. But there was something in the upper midrange that made the guitar seem unreal or very digital. The verve 8ma and 12ma both did a better job a more realistic guitar tones. I really wanted to like the k series, but in the end, my ears didn't like what I was hearing when compared to the verve 12ma or 8ma. To me it boiled downed to more realistic guitar tones. I ended up with the 8ma and the 12ma......very happy! YMMV

No to hijack the thread, but is the 8ma noticeably lacking low end compared to the 12ma?

The short answer is no! I found that it has an amazing low end response. Others could possibly chime in, but it was surprising how much low end it has. Keep in mind, it won't cover a large stage area, but for tight small spots, it holds it's own.

FWIW, I have owned the Atomic and I own the Verve and I have heard the QSC K series. The Atomic sounds most like an actual guitar amp with the Axe. The Verve is a close second with the QSC right behind the Verve.

Right off the bat the Atomic has the MoJo that all the other FR soulitions seam to be missing particularly in the cleans and that's where you notice it the most... to my ears anyway.

If you want something that sound like a true guitar amp I think the Reactor is the ticket and for $800 has an edge over the Verve and the QSC sound wise. If you need a wedge I would go Verve, it has a smoother top end sound that is a little more coherent then the QSC. I believe the B&C Coaxial driver has a lot to do with that.

The QSC's arn't bad but when you hear the competition that's in roughly the same price range it's hard to deny which one sounds a little better. Where QSC really shines is their warrantee, 6 years is awesome not to mention they are a US based company and assemble their products in the U.S. as well, QSC takes the prize in that department hands down.

Back
Top Bottom