Pulled my Ultra out of the closet after 5 years...

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
My Ultra has been sitting quietly in the closet ever since I got my XL roughly 5 years ago (?), and I decided to pull it out, plug it in, and give it a listen.

All I can say is WOW! That darned thing, outdated as it may be, still sounds stellar! A million times than the gear used by the other guitarist in my band (a Rolland VG-99 which we're constantly struggling to squeeze good tone out of).

Haven't done any editing on the Ultra yet since pulling it out, so probably I'll find the user interface a bit klunky compared to the XL, but I'm over-the-top happy to have my Ultra as a backup. In the coming days, I'll try to capture on the Ultra all (most? some?) of my main tones from the XL (and I use one preset per song as I'm in a cover band). This way, the Ultra will be ready to go if ever a backup becomes required.

Those of you who are using a std or Ultra and are drooling for a II or a III, count your blessings and appreciate the treasure that Fractal Audio had created for us, so long ago. The step-up to the II is, of course, noticeable, but the Ultra is still a mean machine.

Stellar, Cliff!

All I can say is WOW! That darned thing, outdated as it may be, still sounds stellar! A million times than the gear used by the other guitarist in my band (a Rolland VG-99 which we're constantly struggling to squeeze good tone out of)
So why not let the other guitarist use your old ULTRA that's just collecting dust, and make your band sound better as a whole?

I"m enjoying my recently acquired Standard.

I have an AX8 and obviously there are improvements but i think the community is all to quick to dismiss something because its "outdated". It sounded like an amp back then; it still does now.

Nothing wrong with the OG models. I am waiting on a used Ultra to come in the mail, found one for a good price and you really can't go wrong with anything that says Fractal on it. I'm excited to get back into this after probably 6 years without an Axe Fx!

Wonder if Adrian Belew finally switched over from his Ultra to II (or III), as he was using Ultras some years' back.

Back
Top Bottom