FM3 Pull Me Under w/ FM3

Hey Ken, I have a question re the 32nd-note run right before the chorus:

Assuming all alternate picking, and starting on a downstroke, I just cannot get the final string transition clean, when switching from the b to e. Down stroke on b, then upstroke on e. I've tried backwards pick slant, but that isn't working for me. But if I switch to starting the run on an upstroke, all the string transitions are easier, and favor a downward-facing pick slant. I suppose I answered my own question, but I'm still curious...

Did you find this run a problem to get up to speed? How do you pick it?

The downstroke-to-upstroke string transitions when going to higher strings always give me trouble, and I've practiced the 4-note, 16th-note triplet Paul Gilbert exercise till I'm blue! I can get them, but on the thinner strings, especially high up the neck, it's just frustration. And I recently switched to a JP Jazz 3, which does help, but still.

Thanks for any help (from anyone!)

Hey Ken, I have a question re the 32nd-note run right before the chorus:

Assuming all alternate picking, and starting on a downstroke, I just cannot get the final string transition clean, when switching from the b to e. Down stroke on b, then upstroke on e. I've tried backwards pick slant, but that isn't working for me. But if I switch to starting the run on an upstroke, all the string transitions are easier, and favor a downward-facing pick slant. I suppose I answered my own question, but I'm still curious...

Did you find this run a problem to get up to speed? How do you pick it?

The downstroke-to-upstroke string transitions when going to higher strings always give me trouble, and I've practiced the 4-note, 16th-note triplet Paul Gilbert exercise till I'm blue! I can get them, but on the thinner strings, especially high up the neck, it's just frustration. And I recently switched to a JP Jazz 3, which does help, but still.

Thanks for any help (from anyone!)

That's the trickiest bit in the song, since you have to suddenly go into flurry mode (32nds @ about 100bpm, I think). I feel it easier to start on a downstroke. In general, if I'm moving from low strings to high strings, I favor starting on downstrokes, but for whatever reason moving high string to lower string, upstrokes feel easier. I kinda flubbed the first pass of the lick you're talking about, but the second pass was a little better. In particular, the last bit moving from B to E is really tough to get synced up and solid. Also, it's somewhat ambiguous what those notes actually are - I'm approximating it but not sure if its exact.

I recommend practicing each 4 note grouping in bursts and trying to get as quick and clean on each fragment as you can. Then maybe try 8 note groups. Its funny how neural pathways work, because sometimes a particular passage will seem insurmountable, but if you get the little bits of it in your mind roughly up to speed, your brain can start to view the whole thing as a chunk with less effort than you might think. I would be hard-pressed to get that lick clean more often than not though, due to how quick and out of nowhere it is. I think JP himself kinda flubs it live pretty often, due to that. I'd say the simple 4 note scalar fragment of 4212 is a good thing to work on syncing up to blazing tempos, for this particular spot.

Last edited:
Ken,

Totally OUTRAGEOUS ! This was the very first DT song I heard and after that...well, I was ruined forever.
I've been a big fan ever since. I think the "Awake" CD is a Masterpiece !

I've been trying to decide whether to go with the FM3 or the older AX8. But you did great with the FM3, no doubt.

Bravo,
George

Thanks for the advice!
Yeah I can do single string, 4-note licks like you mentioned (4212) no prob, blazing fast. Which I guess means that incorporating string changes is also attainable. Just takes lots of practice!!
There's a whole lot of technique-builders just in that one song.
I don't hear any wrong notes; I think you got it.
The first one is 4/ 17 15 14 15 17; 3/ 14 16 17 sl 19 17 16 17 19; 2/ 16 17 18 sl 19 18 17 18 19; 1/ 17 18 19 (how I play it) Bold 16 is 18 2nd time.

I like how you also merged the overdubs into one part.

The first one is 4/ 17 15 14 15 17; 3/ 14 16 17 sl 19 17 16 17 19; 2/ 16 17 18 sl 19 18 17 18 19; 1/ 17 18 19 (how I play it) Bold 16 is 18 2nd time.
I think he was going for this:

MzATnub.png

What really ended up happening is note skipping and doubling that avoids D-U string changes until the last one. Basically this, ignoring a couple other sync and positioning things in a take or two (of four total as it's double-tracked both times):

mHIWwxT.png

Back
Top Bottom