Pssst... new FC-6 owners...

I could tell from the manual. Does anyone know if the FC switch functions can be set up to change function depending on what scene you are on.
For example can I have Fc button 1 be DRIVE when on scene one and DELAY while on scene two?

I could tell from the manual. Does anyone know if the FC switch functions can be set up to change function depending on what scene you are on.
For example can I have Fc button 1 be DRIVE when on scene one and DELAY while on scene two?

That's not currently doable.

That’s true, and I haven’t checked but assuming you can ake a switch turn on two effects you can cheat.

Scene 1 you want the drive - have a delay chamnelwith the mix at 0 selected
Scene 2 you want the delay, delay has a channel with mix at a cue and drive mix is 0.

It’s not ideal but it should work

That’s true, and I haven’t checked but assuming you can ake a switch turn on two effects you can cheat.

Scene 1 you want the drive - have a delay chamnelwith the mix at 0 selected
Scene 2 you want the delay, delay has a channel with mix at a cue and drive mix is 0.

It’s not ideal but it should work

That assumes you don't want the drive on when you have the delay and vice versa.

The only way to have two effects turn on/off with one switch is with a Control Switch. And it will not reflect the current state of the drive or delay.

It's just a way of configuring things.

I'll try to explain:
  1. The FC-6 and FC-12 controllers provide 8 "layouts": configurable sets of 6 or 12 switches.
  2. The device must provide a way to switch between these sets.
  3. There are several ways, but there's one "master" method: the Master Layout Menu (MLM). The MLM shows an overview of the layouts (like the "Single Preset" or "Single Scene" function on the AX8), and lets you select one by pressing a switch.
  4. The MLM is recalled as follows: hold the bottom right switch and tap the top right switch ("combo switch").
  5. There's an obstacle: the FC-6 only has 6 switches, so it can't display all 8 layouts at once. To access layouts 7 and 8 on the FC-6, you have to repeat the MLM combo switch to show its 2nd page, and believe me: this is not a natural motion.
  6. Also, working with layouts and just 6 switches means that some switching has to be performed to access a certain switch/function. Altern. you can duplicate a switch/function in multiple layouts, but this decreases the number of switches which are available for switchable stuff, and switches are a scarce and a precious commodity on the FC-6.
So what's the trick?

The MLM actually is a layout itself: number 9. As such, it can be edited just like the other layouts. Program its switches as follows on the FC-6:
  1. = Layout 1
  2. = Layout 2
  3. = Tuner
  4. = Layout 3
  5. = Layout 4
  6. = Master Layout Menu's other page.
The MLM has two pages on the FC-6. Program the 2nd page as follows:
  1. = Layout 5
  2. = Layout 6
  3. = ?
  4. = Layout 7
  5. = Layout 8
Benefits:

Switches 1, 2, 4 and 5 (page 1) let you switch to layouts 1-4, in. a logically ordered way. Also, the same switches let you switch to layouts 5-8 on the MLM's 2nd page, see below.

The Tuner is now always quickly accessible, just one click away from any position / layout. No need to need to switch layouts or to duplicate it in multiple layouts.

Switch 6 on page 1 now makes it much easier to switch to the 2nd page of the MLM. You don't have to repeat pressing the entire combo switch, but just press your toe once more, which is a more natural motion.​

Just like the Tuner, you can assign something that you often need to access quickly to switch 3 on the 2nd page of the MLM. This can be your favorite preset, of any function the FC-6 provides.​

As I wrote before, I can describe this trick using 1000 words, but you'll only learn its benefits when actually using the FC-6.
Cool, thanks for writing that up.

Probably would've had a bigger "whoa" moment if I knew what the default MLM layout is on the FC-6. I don't think it's covered in the manual for FC-6 or -12. Is the default MLM layout like this?

1st page:
  1. = Layout 1
  2. = Layout 2
  3. = Layout 3
  4. = Layout 4
  5. = Layout 5
  6. = Layout 6
2nd page:
  1. = Layout 7
  2. = Layout 8
  3. =
  4. =
  5. =
  6. =

Actually, you can kind of do this by using the layout link... So, when you press a button to load the scene it can also load a different layout.

(Based on reading the manual so many times, not actual experience).

So, not exactly the same thing but might get what you want...

This is exactly what I plan to do at this point.. it could all change once I get the FC though.

So bottom 6 buttons are 6 scenes, each scene will have its own layout so I can have different IA’s along top row for each scene. No preset changing or tuner needed to save on button real estate... this is the axe3, who needs more than one preset! If I need to tune I’ll walk back to the back line. Always hated tuning standing at the edge of stage anyway.

I will be posting a video later of my FC-6. I am currently using 4 layouts to accommodate all my needs, all withOUT ever going to the MLM.:cool: I may start a new thread, but I may post it where I posted 4 videos already, here.......

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/will-there-be-demo-videos-b4-fcs-release.145194/page-4

This video video shows my custom layout after a few hours of owning the unit. Todays video is exponentially beyond the video I previously posted.:D

This is exactly what I plan to do at this point.. it could all change once I get the FC though.

So bottom 6 buttons are 6 scenes, each scene will have its own layout so I can have different IA’s along top row for each scene. No preset changing or tuner needed to save on button real estate... this is the axe3, who needs more than one preset! If I need to tune I’ll walk back to the back line. Always hated tuning standing at the edge of stage anyway.

You can add the tuner to the MLM.

It's just a way of configuring things.

I'll try to explain:
  1. The FC-6 and FC-12 controllers provide 8 "layouts": configurable sets of 6 or 12 switches.
  2. The device must provide a way to switch between these sets.
  3. There are several ways, but there's one "master" method: the Master Layout Menu (MLM). The MLM shows an overview of the layouts (like the "Single Preset" or "Single Scene" function on the AX8), and lets you select one by pressing a switch.
  4. The MLM is recalled as follows: hold the bottom right switch and tap the top right switch ("combo switch").
  5. There's an obstacle: the FC-6 only has 6 switches, so it can't display all 8 layouts at once. To access layouts 7 and 8 on the FC-6, you have to repeat the MLM combo switch to show its 2nd page, and believe me: this is not a natural motion.
  6. Also, working with layouts and just 6 switches means that some switching has to be performed to access a certain switch/function. Altern. you can duplicate a switch/function in multiple layouts, but this decreases the number of switches which are available for switchable stuff, and switches are a scarce and a precious commodity on the FC-6.
So what's the trick?

The MLM actually is a layout itself: number 9. As such, it can be edited just like the other layouts. Program its switches as follows on the FC-6:
  1. = Layout 1
  2. = Layout 2
  3. = Tuner
  4. = Layout 3
  5. = Layout 4
The MLM has two pages on the FC-6. Program the 2nd page as follows:
  1. = Layout 5
  2. = Layout 6
  3. = ?
  4. = Layout 7
  5. = Layout 8
Benefits:

Switches 1, 2, 4 and 5 (page 1) let you switch to layouts 1-4, in a logically ordered way. Also, the same switches let you switch to layouts 5-8 on the MLM's 2nd page, see below.

The Tuner is now always quickly accessible, just one click away from any position / layout. No need to need to switch layouts or to duplicate it in multiple layouts.

Switch 6 on page 1 now makes it much easier to switch to the 2nd page of the MLM. You don't have to repeat pressing the entire combo switch, but just press your toe once more, which is a more natural motion.​

Just like the Tuner, you can assign something that you often need to access quickly to switch 3 on the 2nd page of the MLM. This can be your favorite preset, of any function the FC-6 provides.​

As I wrote before, I can describe this trick using 1000 words, but you'll only learn its benefits when actually using the FC-6.

Thanks. This is much better than the default MLM layout on the FC-6.

Hi, got the FC6 yesterday. Got it up and running. However. I'm having trouble with Yek's MLM layout. From the III's editor I can't program switch 6 to switch back and forth between MLM pages. Or I can't find pages listed in editor to program switch to go to. I can go back and forth between pages doing the combo switch press. Any ideas to help me. Thanks, Gary

Hi, got the FC6 yesterday. Got it up and running. However. I'm having trouble with Yek's MLM layout. From the III's editor I can't program switch 6 to switch back and forth between MLM pages. Or I can't find pages listed in editor to program switch to go to. I can go back and forth between pages doing the combo switch press. Any ideas to help me. Thanks, Gary

Go to the Layout page.

Select Master Layout

Set switch 6 to Category "Layout" and Function "Master Layout"

Set switch 12 to Category "Layout" and Function layout 9

This allows you to toggle back and forth using the same switch.

Having said that, I have mine programmed so I never need the MLM.

Danny W.

Last edited:
Man, you guys got me excited to go home and mess with my FC. I didn't know you could link layouts to scenes (or vice versa). I haven't really messed with the layouts but this could be neat! Thanks for sharing!

Danny W, thanks I got it. Yea I'll probably eventually not use MLM, just exploring now. Wow this thing packs some power in configurations. When future civilizations or aliens find these in the ruble they say, "wow these Mo Fo's were advanced!".

Back
Top Bottom