Psionic Triad / Korg SDD-3000 Pre-Amp in the Axe FX

oddb0d said:
So, I know a couple of people out there have a Triad and an Axe FX. I know this is supposed to not go together but this guy believes the triad adds something to the tone when placed in front of the Axe FX with AC30 simulation. I was wondering if someone can do an A / B Comparison, Axe FX with a Triad in front and Axe FX without a Triad.

Triad infront of an Axe FX (no amp)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOlLTpbQtDg

Well, The Edge thought putting it in front of ac30 added something. Not surprising the Axe-fx is no different. :D

Lyle Caldwell said:
Thanks guys.

But the Triad is designed to drive a tube preamp, not a digital converter, so those who have the "real" Triad and the Axe-FX have had some problems, as the hot output level of the Triad that sounds so great running into a tube amp isn't really suitable for the Axe-FX A/D converters.

Java, it seems that the Triad is too much for the Axe FX converters. I don't quite understand this as if I was to use the Axe FX as just an Effect processor does that mean I can only place it in the Effects loop of the Amp?

oddb0d said:
Lyle Caldwell said:
Thanks guys.

But the Triad is designed to drive a tube preamp, not a digital converter, so those who have the "real" Triad and the Axe-FX have had some problems, as the hot output level of the Triad that sounds so great running into a tube amp isn't really suitable for the Axe-FX A/D converters.

Java, it seems that the Triad is too much for the Axe FX converters. I don't quite understand this as if I was to use the Axe FX as just an Effect processor does that mean I can only place it in the Effects loop of the Amp?

I presume he is talking about clipping. I wonder if they were using the front input which is designed to take pedals. The rears are much more prone to clipping. The front has a soft clip that keeps it sounding musical if it does clip.

This is a reply on the U2 recording group from Lyle

"Cliff and I are working on this. Stay tuned."

We may have a digital Triad in the Axe some time after all... :)

Paul

aircadet said:
This is a reply on the U2 recording group from Lyle

"Cliff and I are working on this. Stay tuned."

We may have a digital Triad in the Axe some time after all... :)

Paul

Link ?

There's no link to that e-mail, unless you are a member of the U2 Recording Group (Yahoo). Mind you I did get that response to a similar question I put out there too ;-) I didn't put it here as it's being worked on and I didn't want this to become another Fractal Controller type thread where people keep asking for it and demanding it. I am just so glad to hear that the idea is not shelved! :) Whenever it comes I will be a happy camper. Ok, now back to playing!

I had a triad in the axe fx loop for quite a while. It doesn't clip the inputs (at least not the way I was using it). It does push the front end of the amp models in a similar way to how it does it with the real amps.

I eventually took it out of my rig because I needed to make my rack smaller for fly gigs. I'm now using the Fet boost before the AC30 models to push the front end. It's close but not quite the same. I'm considering building another rack with various parts I have laying around to be my "big rig" for local dates. It would have Axe fx (my backup unit), 2290, Triad, IPS33b, PODXTL (on top of the rack).... all controlled by my switchblade. This is all stuff I have laying around at the moment since my main rig right now is just Axe fx (standard) and Korg A3.

It'll be nice to get my triad back into being useful again.... it does sound a bit different.

Tedge said:
...I'm considering building another rack with various parts I have laying around to be my "big rig" for local dates. It would have Axe fx (my backup unit), 2290, Triad, IPS33b, PODXTL (on top of the rack).... all controlled by my switchblade. This is all stuff I have laying around at the moment since my main rig right now is just Axe fx (standard) and Korg A3...
Wait... am I reading this right? You wrote "I would have my Axe fx (my backup unit),..." does this mean that the Axe-fx is a "backup" and you are using the PODXTL for your tone? :shock:

You did read that wrong. I have two Axe Fx. One is my main rig. The other is currently programmed identically as a backup. I had considered using the backup unit as part of a bigger rig. But, I just don't have a need to do it .... or the motivation right now.

Nicedge said:
Hi guys, anyone heard anything?

One of the "where's Lyle" threads on HRI got resurrected again. Based on the lack of news here and those kind of posts at HRI the Triad getting in the Axe-FX is unlikely.

Pooh! :cry:

Thanks for trying anyway guys. Still loving my Axe. Early days for me but it's blowing me away big time.

it looks like Jeff at liquid-foot.com is going to be doing a new product called the Liquid Edge that might be this type pre
but allow for midi control and have some other features as well (tba). I don't know that this is what the liquid edge is for sure
but I know that he is a big u2 fan so I am hoping that is the direction he is heading! supposed to be in production by aug 2009...

So, is this officially dead? I am looking at stand alone pedals to do this preamp sound again, but would much rather have it in the Axe-FX and not fuss with another box.

Anyone heard anything? I'll take rumors at this point.

-Phil

I am surprised that this hasn't made it in another way. The SDD-3000 preamp is awesome and it's not really hard to build. I wonder if Cliff just needs a real one to check out. I might be able to help out on that Cliff ;-)

oddb0d said:
I am surprised that this hasn't made it in another way. The SDD-3000 preamp is awesome and it's not really hard to build. I wonder if Cliff just needs a real one to check out. I might be able to help out on that Cliff ;-)

If that is the snag, it would be great if someone could lend one.

:D

3739013167_fd25c79d20_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom