PSA: Using a dual switch with the FM9

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
BLUF: You can plug a 2-button switch (like a Mosky Dual) into a pedal jack vis TRS or TS and in either case one switch will work, the other will not. (Edit: Also, both tap and hold functions work on the working switch.)

We already know a single pedal jack can’t support two switches but I was wondering what would happen if I plugged my dual switch into a pedal jack (whether via TRS or TS). I figured one switch would probably work (spoiler alert: it does).

I plugged my Mosky Dual Switch into the FM9’s Pedal 1 jack via a TRS cable. I set the type to “SWITCH” in settings. I then set that device to be a stand in switch for the Bank +1 switch in the OFM9G layout). The right switch works just fine, the left switch doesn’t do anything. I then swapped to a TS cable and had the same results.

So as expected, you can’t use two switches with one jack (just emphasizing—I didn’t expect that to work). However if you have a dual switch already, you can plug it in and use one of its switches.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's only looking for a connection between the tip and sleeve of the jack. The ring contact is ignored. Whichever switch is connected to the tip contact, that's the one that will work. The same is true for the pedal jacks on the back of the Axe III.

Yup. IIRC, several moderators had mentioned this in previous posts in various threads. Thanks for providing a direct post that describes this scenario.

Question for the OP, though: Will a TS connection to a momentary normally closed switch provide both toggle and hold functions? THAT would be an important concern.

Yup. IIRC, several moderators had mentioned this in previous posts in various threads. Thanks for providing a direct post that describes this scenario.

Question for the OP, though: Will a TS connection to a momentary normally closed switch provide both toggle and hold functions? THAT would be an important concern.
Will be testing that here when my FM9 returns from CEBA. I suspect it acts like other switches for the most part, but would like to find out if it works more like an 'internal' or 'external' switch or a coninuous controller with only full off and full on values....

Will be testing that here when my FM9 returns from CEBA. I suspect it acts like other switches for the most part, but would like to find out if it works more like an 'internal' or 'external' switch or a continuous controller with only full off and full on values....
Will be watching for this. Inform us if things work as expected, or not.

I can check when I get home in a couple hours.

I set the external switch to be a stand-in switch for tap tempo (hold for tuner) and the hold function worked fine.

Not sure if that answers the question.

Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I thought this was a good place to ask. I have a dual momentary switch and an insert cable connected to PDL2 and 3. They both work BUT "Virtual Toggle" isn't. It stays momentary so my test to use it to bypass effects failed.

Anyone come across this yet? Is there a firmware bugs thread somewhere or am I missing something? Thanks

Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I thought this was a good place to ask. I have a dual momentary switch and an insert cable connected to PDL2 and 3. They both work BUT "Virtual Toggle" isn't. It stays momentary so my test to use it to bypass effects failed.

Anyone come across this yet? Is there a firmware bugs thread somewhere or am I missing something? Thanks
Isn’t there a setting for that? 🤔

I had the idea that a dual switch could place two resistors in or out of the pedal path so that you could use it to select different expression values.

Ok, it works perfectly setting it up as a "Stand-in Switch" as described here:

It just doesn't act as a toggle when I tried to use it as a Control Switch. Strange.

Last edited:
You mean like selecting 2 specific fixed "expression pedal" values with switches?
It could do that, but it'd be more usable if something can be triggered because the "expression pedal" setting is at a certain value. Then it could act like a dual switch like on the other devices.

That's what I was wondering about but hadn't dug into the manual or the settings to see if anything made sense.

Ok, it works perfectly setting it up as a "Stand-in Switch" as described here:

It just doesn't act as a toggle when I tried to use it as a Control Switch. Strange.

If you set the switch to Virtual Toggle and set the Control Switch to Latching, you'll have to hit the switch twice to make the Control Switch change states. If you have the switch set to Virtual Toggle, leave the Control Switch set to Momentary function to avoid the double tap thing.

Back
Top Bottom