PSA: TIL - Gotoh bridges

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, I play with the tremolo on my guitars all the time. It's a key part of my style.

Tonight while I was noodling around on my Charvel DK-24 USA I noticed that I was hearing noise from my FM9 when I was using the trem.

I thought it must be a loose ground wire on the claw but it was solid and wiggling it didn't trigger the noise.

I tried a bunch of things but could only get the noise when using the bar.

Eventually I noticed the if I pulled the bar up slightly out of the socket then no noise. When it was all the way in, it would make noise.

I assumed that maybe it was some sort of weird grounding issue when the bar was contacting the bottom of the socket.

I pulled out the bar completely to look at the area where it would make contact.

And I noticed that's it's hollow and threaded! What?

I thought it was just a push-in bar with a nylon "collar" that allows you to tighten it...

But if you push it in and spin it clockwise it screws onto the hex screw the comes up into the bottom of the socket. :eek:

And once screwed in there was no more noise AND now I could much more easily get the bar to stay where I put it (or not, if I wanted it loose).

This is the 510 two-point style.

Then I checked my Suhr Modern with a Gotoh 1996 bridge... And damn if isn't the same way!

So Today I Learned...:)

Maybe you will too?

Back
Top Bottom