PSA: RiffStation currently free for Mac and Windows

iaresee

Administrator
https://pro.riffstation.com/download/

Neat. This is handy software. If you're learning tunes and not using transcribing software like RiffStation or Capo you're working much harder than you need to be. :)

Edit: it did pretty good on the chord detection for a live version of Althea.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 12.38.00 PM.png

Compared to Capo, which also gets the chords right:

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 12.40.26 PM.png

Capo definitely has the nicer UI IMHO. But Riffstation has more features. And hey, can't beat free!

Last edited:
Nice catch Thank you. I haven't bought Capo but can use its non registered features for now. I been using Capo to move song pitch up or down a half or whole step, works real well at that. Will be giving riffstation a shot and see how it compares. Thanks again.

Been using RiffStation for a couple years now. Very handy tool. I think, don't hold me to it, Fender bought them out.

Gotta love free stuff!!! :)

Thanks! I've never even looked at this before. Downloading, and will try it out when I get some time.

The site says that it gets major and minor chords 80% of the time; so I'm guessing it might not do so well with jazz ?

Been using RiffStation for a couple years now. Very handy tool. I think, don't hold me to it, Fender bought them out.

Gotta love free stuff!!! :)

Yeah, they did. They're wanting to do a web based service around it. Actually I think the original company done something along those lines near the end.

I just wish you could use songs from Apple Music.

Agreed. I just pipe Apple Music/iTunes into my DAW and record a track that I want to import into Riffstation. It's another hoop to jump through but it's fairly painless. I'm not trying to preserve every ounce of fidelity so I can keep the ripped track. I just want to learn the parts and be done with it.

I seen that app "Anytune" just recently. I was surprised to see that it could read your Apple Music Library. Looks like a nice app. **Correction** I just downloaded the trial version. It cannot play music from an Apple Music subscription even if it is downloaded to the device. It does read your library and shows a padlock beside those songs.

However it can play and manipulate songs from your library that you own.

Last edited:
Agreed. I just pipe Apple Music/iTunes into my DAW and record a track that I want to import into Riffstation. It's another hoop to jump through but it's fairly painless. I'm not trying to preserve every ounce of fidelity so I can keep the ripped track. I just want to learn the parts and be done with it.

I seen that app "Anytune" just recently. I was surprised to see that it could read your Apple Music Library. Looks like a nice app. **Correction** I just downloaded the trial version. It cannot play music from an Apple Music subscription even if it is downloaded to the device. It does read your library and shows a padlock beside those songs.

However it can play and manipulate songs from your library that you own.

I hear ya. It's that extra hoop of recording that I was talking (complaining) about. :)

RiffStation will also play song you OWN in your Apple Music Library.

Back
Top Bottom