WTB PSA: Beware this scam!

Chris Hurley

Power User
This has now happened to me twice- one on TGP and once here- sharing as a public service announcement.

You post an item for sale and get a message from a new user to "Contact Frank- he has one sitting around collecting dust- here is his gmail". It could just as easily come from a compromised account because this user reused a password and forum sites don't generally have any MFA to complicate an account theft.

"Collecting dust" was a key phrase in my post. When you contact them, they say, yeah, I've got one and never use it- you can have it for some real reasonable but not unrealistic price. Pictures are provided of the item (but if you search, you can find that it came from the internet somewhere- ebay archives, etc...)

"Lets use "zelle" to avoid fees- here's my account" but the account is for a third person. Also, Zelle has no recovery because you are supposed to know who you are dealing with. When you ask about it, their account is messed up at work and they are having to borrow a buddy's.... and on and on.

Thankfully, I caught it the first time when the name didn't match. The scammer was very patient, they had pictures and a credible story. Although not honorable, this is somebody's job to rip other people off and it makes sense that they will spend whatever time necessary to get the money.

Stay Frosty!

Gotta say, this is frustrating. Been contacted twice on my wtb. Both scammers. knew exactly what to look for because of this thread. thanks.

Last edited:
Gotta say, this is frustrating. Been contacted twice on my wtb. Both scammers. knew exactly what to look for because of this thread. thanks.
Did you report the accounts? Please do and the moderators will nuke them.

Back
Top Bottom