PRS-style speed knobs with a set screw?

iaresee

Administrator
Does such a thing exist? I need a black/clear PRS style speed knob that'll work on the RS Guitarworks PRS kit potentiometer shaft, but won't slide off when you use the push/pull feature on the potentiometer. Right now I've got some plumbing tape wrapped around the shaft and the knob jammed on there but it'll still slide off if I'm not super careful pulling it out to split the coils.

Anyone know of a good replacement that has a set screw so you can lock them down to the shaft?

For reference, I'm looking for something sytled like this (though I'd change out the knobs if it meant better functional behavior):

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.01.16 PM.png

Is it a split or solid shaft pot?

I put some split shaft pots into my 245 and have no issue with the knobs coming off in my hand. I did have to slightly widen the shift with a flat screwdriver to get a snug fit.

Split, but imperial sized. RS Guitarworks says regular PRS knobs, which apparently are metric sizing, will be lose. And indeed, mine are loose.
Is it just the import that are metric?
I thought the USA guitars, and accessories, were all imperial.
Could be wrong, seems like you found a solution anyway

The knobs should not need a set screw as long as they are correct size. RS sells speed knobs. I would assume they fit?

RS sells speed knobs. I would assume they fit?
I had no idea. I'll order a pair. They're cheap.

I'd prefer a set screw, but meh. If these work I'm good.

Edit: LOL. Won't let me order if the cart is <$20. I'll just get the set screw ones.

I had no idea. I'll order a pair. They're cheap.

I'd prefer a set screw, but meh. If these work I'm good.

Edit: LOL. Won't let me order if the cart is <$20. I'll just get the set screw ones.
Yeah. Hopefully, they fit.

I went through a similar exercise when buying knobs for my American LP and Japanese LP clone. Different sizes!

The knob on the pull pot in my SE 24 Standard was impossibly tight. I was able to get the volume knob off, but the tone pot's shaft pulled right out, despite being careful. I had some tophat style knobs on it, but the pots are the stiffer variety, and you had to really grab 'em hard to turn them with the smaller knob. Found some old 'grippy' speed knobs pulled off some other guitar, and all is good now....

Maybe just spread the split knob post with a flat head screwdriver a little bit. Then press the knob onto the now fattened post. Should make it a tighter fit. To my understanding, that’s the purpose behind the design.

Maybe just spread the split knob post with a flat head screwdriver a little bit. Then press the knob onto the now fattened post. Should make it a tighter fit. To my understanding, that’s the purpose behind the design.
Will try this!

Back
Top Bottom