PRS Studio?

Starfighter

Experienced
Hi guys/gals

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the PRS Studio? I am selling a Les Paul Custom and was offered one of these in trade. I don´t know anything about it other than what´s out there on the www. It gets great reviews, but in the soundclips I´ve heard I think the cleans are a bit shrill and thin.

Example here:

I´m trying hard to like PRS as they are beautiful guitars, but there´s something about them that doesn´t sit right with me - can´t explain what it is though :)

Id take it. I think a PRS would be a good move, let alone a studio. I think the humbucker in the bridge position will feel familiar to you. The neck pickup is more similar to a traditional humbucker, but with a hint of the single coil stratty thing in my opinion. Ive got a modern eagle that has 3 of those narrowfield pickups. They clean up so well and can get twangy if needed. Im a sucker for a PRS though. Id play them exclusively if I didnt have sentimental value to my others.

I picked up my new PRS Studio private stock today. No doubt a really versatile guitar with the various switching options. I think ultimately you have to play it yourself to know if it is right for you but it certainly is a quality guitar. My only reservation is that the middle pick up gets in the way sometimes as it sits right where I tend to pick but it just needs a little change in technique.

As a little aside, I have several PRS guitars but the best ones (imo) are the Santana and 513. Of course, YMMV!!

I picked up my new PRS Studio private stock today. No doubt a really versatile guitar with the various switching options. I think ultimately you have to play it yourself to know if it is right for you but it certainly is a quality guitar. My only reservation is that the middle pick up gets in the way sometimes as it sits right where I tend to pick but it just needs a little change in technique.

As a little aside, I have several PRS guitars but the best ones (imo) are the Santana and 513. Of course, YMMV!!

dem 513's. I want one real bad. I have 2 custom 22's and a modern eagle but if I can ever muster up the courage to get another it would be a 513 or a nice custom 24.

Hi guys/gals

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the PRS Studio? I am selling a Les Paul Custom and was offered one of these in trade. I don´t know anything about it other than what´s out there on the www. It gets great reviews, but in the soundclips I´ve heard I think the cleans are a bit shrill and thin.

Example here:

I´m trying hard to like PRS as they are beautiful guitars, but there´s something about them that doesn´t sit right with me - can´t explain what it is though :)

Most online demo fall short IMO. Not well enough captured and perhaps not always a proper indicator. I think the PRS Studio gets great results because it is so versatile. I have done alot of 'clean' work with it and there are several video demos on my site. Rodney Gene Music Hot Country Austin Texas Country Guitar Americana Music Austin Texas / Rodney Gene / Progressive Modern Country Guitar Session Musician .

Shrill never comes to mind. Balanced. Very balanced. Its one of those guitars that I am grateful for. If I wasn't such a 'Tele' player, this would be my first choice for non-Tele. That said, we all have different needs and different ways to dial in the sound. Again, I play mostly clean-ish so for those needs it works well. Anyway, high-quality instrument. Cheers!

I've tried, ayes and owned most of the models out of the PRS factory over the years. The studio didn't do crunch as well as my CU25's or 513 IMO. The narrow field middle and neck pickups are like Marmite and I personally didn't like them. If you want versatility, get a CU24 with the HFS/VB option or even a CU22 hard tail. I change my PRS pots for 550k Bareknuckle pots and the matching bumble bee capacitor. Really brings out the too end.

Thanks for all the inputs, guys - really appreciated! I have to educate myself more in PRS-territory, that is clear. Great guitars no doubt, I just need to get to know them :)

I ended up not doing the trade after all, so my LP Custom is still for sale. However, all the research I put in for the PRS branched off in other directions and really relighted my GAS. So I ended up buying a ´56 relic Strat instead... :roll

56-full_zps3585a088.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Vintagegitar.no)

Back
Top Bottom