PRS Silver Sky owners/players question

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I just got myself the Horizon, and I am very happy with it so far except for a couple of small niggles. I have just under 2 weeks to return it for a full refund, but wanted to get your opinions on your Silver Sky and if you are still happy with it!

My initial thoughts are WOW this thing is comfortable to play, and the body/neck are made to perfection. There is no guitar more comfortable to hold, and so light too. The tone is excellent, very smooth and it seems to handle Strat sounds as well as being able to push the amp really hard when needed.

My niggles are a little surprising though. Whilst the build quality of the body/neck is superb, the pickup switch cap on my guitar was practically split in 2 (this is a brand new guitar). Also the Volume and both Tone knobs feel like cheap plastic and they do wobble a lot more than you would expect from a PRS. I am a little surprised with this given the rest of the guitar has been made so beautifully.

Also, the 7.25" radius neck on my Tele is fine, however on this PRS when I do a full tone bend, I get choked around 80% into the bend. You can still bend the whole way but it makes vibrato a little uncomfortable (although still possible).

Overall I love it so far, but I have only had it for a day now and am curious as to everyone else's experience with their Silver Sky guitars.

I just got myself the Horizon, and I am very happy with it so far except for a couple of small niggles. I have just under 2 weeks to return it for a full refund, but wanted to get your opinions on your Silver Sky and if you are still happy with it!

My initial thoughts are WOW this thing is comfortable to play, and the body/neck are made to perfection. There is no guitar more comfortable to hold, and so light too. The tone is excellent, very smooth and it seems to handle Strat sounds as well as being able to push the amp really hard when needed.

My niggles are a little surprising though. Whilst the build quality of the body/neck is superb, the pickup switch cap on my guitar was practically split in 2 (this is a brand new guitar). Also the Volume and both Tone knobs feel like cheap plastic and they do wobble a lot more than you would expect from a PRS. I am a little surprised with this given the rest of the guitar has been made so beautifully.

Also, the 7.25" radius neck on my Tele is fine, however on this PRS when I do a full tone bend, I get choked around 80% into the bend. You can still bend the whole way but it makes vibrato a little uncomfortable (although still possible).

Overall I love it so far, but I have only had it for a day now and am curious as to everyone else's experience with their Silver Sky guitars.

If you can go back to the store you bought it from, I'd bring up the issues with the knobs...I'd imagine they could replace/fix those pretty quick. Silver Sky owners might have to help you with the neck issue, but my initial thought is maybe the neck isn't set up quite right.

If you can go back to the store you bought it from, I'd bring up the issues with the knobs...I'd imagine they could replace/fix those pretty quick. Silver Sky owners might have to help you with the neck issue, but my initial thought is maybe the neck isn't set up quite right.

Good point on the neck, I know the fingerboard radius has a part to play in that but I didn't expect it to be as sticky. Below the 80% bend effort it is incredibly smooth. I am going to take it to my guitar luthier for his professional opinion on Monday as well. I did speak with the store I bought it from but they were not very helpful to say the least.

but wanted to get your opinions on your Silver Sky and if you are still happy with it!
Best Strat I've ever owned. Has quickly become a guitar I don't anticipate parting with, ever. I have to get used to dealing with 60-cycle hum again (I got super lazy with my Suhr's SSCII system about RFI). But them's the tradeoffs for perfect 60s Strat tone.

Knobs on my mine are rock solid. No wobble. I'd just take it up with the store and/or PRS -- there's no way PRS wants anything less than a perfect guitar floating around out there. They have top-notch QA and after-sale support.

Thanks Ian!

Knobs on my mine are rock solid. No wobble.

That part worries me, if you grip the knobs gently on mine you can rock them. I don't think we are covered by PRS in the UK, but we are by the store warranty. I have spoken with the store over the phone and they are adamant this is normal, which I can't get my head around. They are a bit of a drive to get to, so I'll run it by my luthier (who happened to work for PRS and still deals with them a lot).

That said, the pots all seem to work ok, and I like the very low torque, but it feels like they have plastic shafts or something.

Got mine in Orion green a few weeks ago. I love it, but I haven't had the issues you noted, including the knobs and the fretting out with bends (I was specifically worried about this, and had asked other owners before buying if they had problems with bends choking out; no one reported that they had). So I really couldn't be happier with it. Sounds and feels great.

Still happy with mine, but you are absolutely right to be concerned about the pickup switch cap ,mine completely split after a relatively short time, good news is , my Sweetwater rep got PRS to send me replacement quick and free......

That part worries me, if you grip the knobs gently on mine you can rock them.
I mean, my knobs on my SS rock no more than the knobs on any other guitar I have where knobs are mounted to the pickguard. There's a bit of give. Nothing I'd notice while playing. The are mounted to a piece of plastic, so some give would be expected if you're pressing them side to side.

To be honest, sound wise, tone and feel, PRS have completely nailed it with this guitar; and I think the niggles I have are all pretty minor.

It has been very good to hear everyones views on this, I appreciate it a lot guys! Thanks!!

I'm going to get the neck checked properly on Monday and having spoken to my luthier over the phone about this at length, he does sound pretty confident he can resolve the bending issue for me. Not that this was a big issue, it was more a concern that maybe there was a problem with my particular guitar.

The replacement switch cap arrived in the post a couple of hours ago (although I have already glued the original back together).

I've had a listen to my band's recording of practice from last night and I am really happy with the way it sits in a mix, and cuts through when you need it to. You can really find the pockets with this guitar!

Back
Top Bottom