PRS Silver Sky Comparison: USA vs SE

The Raven

Inspired

Hey everyone!

I said I was going to make this video a while ago, but just got the courage to get started with it early November and even then it took a while to finish. I tried to provide a variety of sound examples that would highlight the differences between the two (or lack thereof for the most part. Spoilers I guess), and of course I talk about specs and playing feel as well.

Like with everything else I've done if you've seen my posts, Axe FX III with @York Audio IR's on every single clip in the video, and no post processing on anything (even the guitars in the song) aside from some light "mastering" just to get things at the right levels for YouTube.

I hope you guys like it and potentially find it useful since I know the SE version (like a lot of guitars) has been hard to find in stores and online, so a lot of us like myself are just having to roll the dice and preorder.

If you have any questions, ask away. If you have any suggestions for things I can do to make better videos in the future, let me know as well, as I'm always trying to learn new things and implement them with each successive video I make.

Nice video and good comparison. It seems like the US version had a sort of midfrequency "signature" to the sound compared to the SE. But I might have been "listening with my eyes" at that point. Either way, after this video, I would almost be confident enough to order an SE sight unseen if I was in the market for a Silver Sky.

Nice video and good comparison. It seems like the US version had a sort of midfrequency "signature" to the sound compared to the SE. But I might have been "listening with my eyes" at that point. Either way, after this video, I would almost be confident enough to order an SE sight unseen if I was in the market for a Silver Sky.
Thank you! I was honestly surprised at how close they were sound and feel wise. Obviously, there are some frustrating “import guitar” things like the weird blemishes, but when it feels and sounds like it does, it’s easier to live with for sure.

I am surprised how different they sound. Your original USA definitely has more mid-range bite but as you mentioned, new USA models have different pickups.

Good job on the video. The US guitar does seem a hair brighter, but many of the passages sounded identical. Definitely very close. One of these days the local GC will get one in so I can try it out. Like you, S guitars aren’t really my thing but I do have HSS US Strat. Sometimes I feel like I should get a true single guitar. Maybe the SE. Thanks for posting.

I am surprised how different they sound. Your original USA definitely has more mid-range bite but as you mentioned, new USA models have different pickups.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Its interesting that you are hearing them as being so different, which is exactly why I love getting other people’s thoughts. We all hear things differently, whether its our ears or just the systems we listen through.

Good job on the video. The US guitar does seem a hair brighter, but many of the passages sounded identical. Definitely very close. One of these days the local GC will get one in so I can try it out. Like you, S guitars aren’t really my thing but I do have HSS US Strat. Sometimes I feel like I should get a true single guitar. Maybe the SE. Thanks for posting.
Thank you very much! And yeah I’m looking forward to the day where you can actually walk into a store and try the guitar you’re interested in again. Though honestly, the last few times I’ve been in a couple GCs, the guitars were in such rough condition setup wise that I felt like I would’ve been better off ordering off the internet :).

Fantastic demo. Thank you for sharing it.

Perhaps that mid-range bite on the USA model that some mention could be easily achieved with a bit of surgical pre-EQ? Or a very subtle band compressor on the mid range?

Fantastic demo. Thank you for sharing it.

Perhaps that mid-range bite on the USA model that some mention could be easily achieved with a bit of surgical pre-EQ? Or a very subtle band compressor on the mid range?
Thank you very much for your comment and for watching. I’d suspect you are correct. The difference is very subtle to begin with, so a slight eq move would likely get you the full 100%.

The usual . . . . the search for something else :D
Ah. Yes, I do understand that process quite well :).

I'm with you
The US version sounds classier. Just nicer.
The SE seems a bit of a bargain.

Thanks
Pauly

Hey everyone!

I said I was going to make this video a while ago, but just got the courage to get started with it early November and even then it took a while to finish. I tried to provide a variety of sound examples that would highlight the differences between the two (or lack thereof for the most part. Spoilers I guess), and of course I talk about specs and playing feel as well.

Like with everything else I've done if you've seen my posts, Axe FX III with @York Audio IR's on every single clip in the video, and no post processing on anything (even the guitars in the song) aside from some light "mastering" just to get things at the right levels for YouTube.

I hope you guys like it and potentially find it useful since I know the SE version (like a lot of guitars) has been hard to find in stores and online, so a lot of us like myself are just having to roll the dice and preorder.

If you have any questions, ask away. If you have any suggestions for things I can do to make better videos in the future, let me know as well, as I'm always trying to learn new things and implement them with each successive video I make.

I got US SS a few months ago after saying for years it wasnt anything id ever want. I used a fiore for about 2 years and it had been the best guitar ive ever used for my band. Then I got a killer deal for a brand new SS and hated it. I tried a lil59 and a pearly gates in the bridge. Never worked.
Had the body routed for a full HB and put in a 57/08. Never liked it. I put back in the single coils and gave it a good setup and lowered the action, as low as 7.25" will let you...and i kinda love it.

i do fiore and silver sky every night now.

Back
Top Bottom