PRS shopping today - I picked one!

Still enjoying my 594 esp considering the price I got it for. I see PRS is releasing a limited edition (1000 units) 10th anniversary S2 594 this year. The 3 main differences are: cuban mahogany neck, mother of pearl inlay and mainly the full fledged core LT 58/15 pickups. I love love the black amber finish. I looked online what the cost difference would be from the standard S2 594 to this limited edition is roughly $450 USD more. with my S2 594 I paid about $600 USD less than reg price for a 2022 model. If I were real hard for this new model /finish I'd be spending about $1000 USD more than what I paid to get the three above mentioned changes/upgrades . The main upgrade I suppose are the pickups for which I have no frame of reference. Im not unhappy with my S 58/15's at all. I could buy the limited edition LT 58/15 pickups for about $470 (yowsas!) and put them in my current S2 - which I can't justify at this point. anyhow, just musing is all...but check out this black amber finish. damn it's beautiful.

Attachments

• prs 594.jpg
    prs 594.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Still enjoying my 594 esp considering the price I got it for.
Same here with my 3 week old S2 594 SC. Fortunately I don't an easily accessible way to compare against 58/15 LT's or Core models in general and I'm happy not knowing what I'm missing. The ripple effect on my other guitars has been to intonate everything & upgrade to Highwood Contoured saddles on a MIJ superstrat and seriously thinking of switching to P90's for my LP Dlx since the 58/15 S's are pretty darn good HB'ers. Otherwise it's going to take a while to explore what the S2's best for compared to the rest of the family and getting the best sounds thru the FM9. Will take months to years to upgrade my playing to be worthy of the PRS.

Still enjoying my 594 esp considering the price I got it for. I see PRS is releasing a limited edition (1000 units) 10th anniversary S2 594 this year. The 3 main differences are: cuban mahogany neck, mother of pearl inlay and mainly the full fledged core LT 58/15 pickups. I love love the black amber finish. I looked online what the cost difference would be from the standard S2 594 to this limited edition is roughly $450 USD more. with my S2 594 I paid about $600 USD less than reg price for a 2022 model. If I were real hard for this new model /finish I'd be spending about $1000 USD more than what I paid to get the three above mentioned changes/upgrades . The main upgrade I suppose are the pickups for which I have no frame of reference. Im not unhappy with my S 58/15's at all. I could buy the limited edition LT 58/15 pickups for about $470 (yowsas!) and put them in my current S2 - which I can't justify at this point. anyhow, just musing is all...but check out this black amber finish. damn it's beautiful.
Similar to my DGT. What a guitar!

Attachments

• D481B47B-9262-495D-AE3B-992752A35261.jpeg
    D481B47B-9262-495D-AE3B-992752A35261.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Figured i'd update this thread on my S2 594 that I'm still lovin. Today stumbled on a great deal on a set of the Core limited run 58/15 LT pickups from this shop that I just learned is in the process of liquidating inventory/closing out. The set normally runs about $650 CAD and I grabbed them for $330! This guitar is has been one of my best guitar choices ever. Once I install the pups it's practically at Core level...nearly:)

Figured i'd update this thread on my S2 594 that I'm still lovin. Today stumbled on a great deal on a set of the Core limited run 58/15 LT pickups from this shop that I just learned is in the process of liquidating inventory/closing out. The set normally runs about $650 CAD and I grabbed them for $330! This guitar is has been one of my best guitar choices ever. Once I install the pups it's practically at Core level...nearly:)
The pickups are probably going to make the biggest difference. You can find the bridge and tuners at the PRS store, or at MannMade USA, who worked with PRS designing and making them.

Switches, pots, frets, and strap buttons might be different but how much are they worth toward making it be the same as a core guitar I don’t know.

The pickups are probably going to make the biggest difference. You can find the bridge and tuners at the PRS store, or at MannMade USA, who worked with PRS designing and making them.

Switches, pots, frets, and strap buttons might be different but how much are they worth toward making it be the same as a core guitar I don’t know.
I remember seeing a vid or read an article way back addressing some of this and true it won't and nor do I expect it to be on par with a Core. I think the S2's use some different value capacitors etc...really small variations that I won't ever likely hear. I am quite curious though to how the pickups will sound. I need to remember to record some clips with the old before I drop in the new pups. I thought about tuners as well but the stock ones have held up really good. I'm amazed at how well this guitar stays in tune so I think I'll leave everything else as is for the time being.

They wouldn't happen to have more of those, would they?
images (22).jpeg

I remember seeing a vid or read an article way back addressing some of this and true it won't and nor do I expect it to be on par with a Core. I think the S2's use some different value capacitors etc...really small variations that I won't ever likely hear. I am quite curious though to how the pickups will sound. I need to remember to record some clips with the old before I drop in the new pups. I thought about tuners as well but the stock ones have held up really good. I'm amazed at how well this guitar stays in tune so I think I'll leave everything else as is for the time being.
I have a few guitars with those or one of their minor variations, and I really like them. I tried lots of different PAF-type pickups over the years when I was chasing the Les Paul sound, and these work plenty well for me.

Original PAFs were almost high-fidelity, and didn't have a lot of power, especially compared to so many of today's "PAF" pickups. I think Gibson was trying to counter the popularity of the Telecaster and wanted something with a similar sound but was still humbucking.

I have a few guitars with those or one of their minor variations, and I really like them. I tried lots of different PAF-type pickups over the years when I was chasing the Les Paul sound, and these work plenty well for me.

Original PAFs were almost high-fidelity, and didn't have a lot of power, especially compared to so many of today's "PAF" pickups. I think Gibson was trying to counter the popularity of the Telecaster and wanted something with a similar sound but was still humbucking.

Depends on what you are going for. A nice HSS or HSH Super Strat will always be a more versatile choice than a PRS. Don't take my word for it just go play a couple and compare. There are many PRS buyers that are brainwashed by what they paid as compared to better value and more capable alternatives.

Greg is a "never ending story" in terms of a PRS fanboy. Definitely listen to him on Fractal Gear (as I do) he knows his stuff, but on guitars - I would say grain of salt is advised.

Looks like I'll have the opportunity to try them out in a week or two when they arrive. I currently have a set of 85/15 "S" pickups in my SE 245, which I got from a forumite here, and I stuck the old Gibbo covers on 'em to class 'em up a bit. The 85/15 "S" pickups sound clearer and better than the 245 "S" pickups (which sound a lot like the Burny pickups in the Burny LP I had years ago - great for Marshalls, a bit wooly for any other amp), but 58/15 LTs will really open it up, I think, based on the way the one in Hobbes' bridge spot sounds. :) Maybe the covered 85/15 "S" pickups will wind up in the SE24 Standard. That'd look nice with the pickups in chrome covers, I think.

Thanks for the link, Chewie!

Depends on what you are going for. A nice HSS or HSH Super Strat will always be a more versatile choice than a PRS. Don't take my word for it just go play a couple and compare. There are many PRS buyers that are brainwashed by what they paid as compared to better value and more capable alternatives.
20221203_002933_0.jpg

I got yer HSS right here. :D It is wired to my custom circuit, and does all that I want out of a Strat. Big shiny toggle does series/split/parallel for the bridge pickup in two spots on the 5-way, but defaults to split in the bridge+middle spot. The actual split is diagonal across the four coils of the two bridge pickups, and is hum cancelling even when split, so it gets a much more Strat-like split sound than a typical humbucker does when split. The S-1 swaps out the middle for bridge+neck, which works in conjunction with the big shiny toggle to get three slightly different faux "Tele" sounds.

That said, I very much enjoy my handful of PRS guitars as well (3 cores and two SEs), my quartet of Telecasters (only one of which is a Fender), and my trio of Gibsons. Each does different stuff. I have faves in each group, of course. Hobbes (the 2021 Studio 10 Top) is likely going up for sale, as it's a beautiful guitar, but I haven't warmed up to the "Pattern" chonky neck profile. Likewise, the one Fender Tele is also going up for sale soon. The total number of guitars will end up being a wash, thought, because I caught the bug for building guitars when doing the snakehead Tele, and can build a couple and probably also pocket some cash with the stuff going up on the block....

There are many PRS buyers that are brainwashed by what they paid as compared to better value and more capable alternatives.
I had written many different iterations in response to this, but decided none was worth the effort and from experience know there’s nothing I could say and deleted them. So I’ll just say this. You seem like a cool guy, but it’s disappointing you’re seriously repeating these 25 year old unfounded and silly cliché remarks about PRS.

If this store you mention is the one I'm thinking (in Mississauga), that is simultaneously a great deal and also very sad news.

If this store you mention is the one I'm thinking (in Mississauga), that is simultaneously a great deal and also very sad news.
I hate seeing smaller guitar shops close down. Nothing left but the chains at some point. Some great deals to be had at this shop; I wish I was prepared for a larger purchase so I could grab one of their guitars

Last edited:
I hate seeing smaller guitar shops close down. Nothing left but the chains at some point. Some great deals to be had at this shop; I wish I was prepared for a larger purchase so I could grab one of their guitars
Same. I'm a freelancer, and I hate seeing small businesses shut down. Feels like a community loss every time.

but it’s disappointing you’re seriously repeating these 25 year old unfounded and silly cliché remarks about PRS.

It is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it anymore than I have to agree that any PRS guitar is worth it's price tag.

As I've said in other threads they don't make you a better guitar player, they don't sound better and they are way less versatile than a good HSS or HSH super strat. That isn't a cliché that is a fact based on the pickups/configurations that PRS uses. I'm sure @Joe Bfstplk can tell you his very sweet looking super strat above is a far more versatile guitar than any of his PRS for probably about half the price.

Some people want to pay more for less and they are entitled to do so. For me there are too many great alternatives that hit the sweet spot - and I can pick/buy/build a couple of them for the price of one PRS.

What I always find interesting is the almost cult level status that PRS players ascribe to their guitars as if they are imbued with mystical properties. I've played many and they just didn't scream "Wow this $5000 guitar is worth every penny." If they had I would own a couple already.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom