PRS shopping today - I picked one!

I have two 513s, two McCarty Hollowbody Spruces, a 594 Soapbar Limited, a NF3, a 594 Hollowbody II, and a Silver Sky. I might have to get a few more to decide if I like PRS. You don’t want to rush into these decisions!

With your neck preferences, you might want to find a Pattern neck carve in rosewood. Both if my 513s have Brazilian rosewood necks, and they feel like home from first touch.
While back I played a Standard 22 Satin and it had a Pattern Regular that I quite liked. Maybe i should revisit that one. Thing is if i pick something up I feel like I should get something that covers what I dont currently have rather than just adding more HH style guitars. Heresy i know. You can't have too many guitars. I can't stop thinking about that tele sound though. A guy in the shop today was playing a Fano guitar with a Tele pickup into a Revv amp and man did that sound good. Maybe i'm crossing that threshold in life and hear the siren's call for more boomer like tones. P90s/tele's. Where the notes bloom and the guitar breathes openly

Last edited:
While back I played a Standard 22 Satin and it had a Pattern Regular that I quite liked. Maybe i should revisit that one. Thing is if i pick something up I feel like I should get something that covers what I dont currently have rather than just adding more HH style guitars. Heresy i know. You can't have too many guitars. I can't stop thinking about that tele sound though. A guy in the shop today was playing a Fano guitar with a Tele pickup into a Revv amp and man did that sound good. Maybe i'm crossing that threshold in life and hear the siren's call for more boomer like tones. P90s/tele's. Where the notes bloom and the guitar breathes openly
Welcome to clean and edge of breakup ville ;)

Dont worry, the chugs dont leave.

Welcome to clean and edge of breakup ville ;)

Dont worry, the chugs dont leave.
I'll admit lately I have a bit of ear fatigue with the high gain/compressed hi fi sounds I've been playing for so long. Part of it too is adjusting playing style for that cleaner/edge of breakup sound. I need to explore that more

update: I didn't buy anything today but I had loads of fun trying out about 10 different guitars in 2 shops. First let's talk PRS> most of the PRS have finished necks and today really cemented in for me that I just don't gel with finished necks. If i had really bonded with one I know they can be sanded. The 594's have a really chunky neck, wow. Also tried the Tremonti core. beautiful guitar but it has a baseball bat neck for my tastes. Tried a number of PU24 cores also and the HBII piezo which by the way feels like it weighs 5lbs its incredibly light! To my surprise, my favorite neck of the PRS' today was the CE Waring. I think cuz it's in my comfort zone of what I'm used to.

Some surprises today: LSL guitars. I have heard of them but until today never took close look or had chance to play. I fell in love with this LSL Tbone One Black Tele (in pic below). The neck was absolutely butter and it felt 95% like my EBMM Axis neck. No wonder I bonded with it right away. I was very tempted to take this home then though it'd be great to try out a Suhr Tele as I've often been curious ..so off to the other guitar shop

enter Suhr: at this shop tried a Suhr Tele (pic below) which was fantastic but I preferred the LSL neck better. My surprise at this shop was a Suhr Ian Thorney Classic S (pic below). Man what a versatile instrument!!! I loved everything about this guitar but was only about 85% bonded with the neck. Perhaps some slight tweaks on action would have closed that gap for me. I could see this guitar replacing my Fender /strat and my Charvel pro mod dk24 easily. It's like a hybrid of both. This remains on my radar now along with the LSL or something similar.

Two easter eggs for me personally were spotting the new EBMM Kaizen and Steve Stevens Friedman (pics below)
Ya the Waring is the thinnest
It a pattern thin cut down a slight bit further
Surprised about the Tremonti maybe it was ordered by the shop in pattern regular, I mean it’s a bit thicker than the DW but should have been close

Totally agree. I'm not one of those relic'd kind of guys and would hate to drop 5K on guitar with that finish but who knows...maybe it'd grow on me...maybe
Lived-in is one thing, but that's not something that could happen from aging, not ever.
It looks exactly like somebody held it against a belt sander.
Whoop dee doo.

While back I played a Standard 22 Satin and it had a Pattern Regular that I quite liked. Maybe i should revisit that one.
PRS neck carves confuse the heck out of me. My only PRS, a McCarty, has what they used to call a ‘wide fat’ neck. I tend to like thinner necks, but when I tried the PRS ‘wide thin’ it felt bigger…? I like what I ended up with.

PRS neck carves confuse the heck out of me. My only PRS, a McCarty, has what they used to call a ‘wide fat’ neck. I tend to like thinner necks, but when I tried the PRS ‘wide thin’ it felt bigger…? I like what I ended up with.
The only thing bigger than wide fat/pattern is pattern vintage (594 only iirc). A pattern thin can feel like a regular in some instances, but at no point should be near a pattern/pat vintage.

The only thing bigger than wide fat/pattern is pattern vintage (594 only iirc). A pattern thin can feel like a regular in some instances, but at no point should be near a pattern/pat vintage.
By the numbers, you're completely correct.

I think it has something to do with the shape of the carve, not the thickness. Believe me, I was utterly bewildered. At time of purchase, I was switching back and forth between two guitars with the different neck carves that were sitting right next to each other. It's all very subjective, of course, but the McCarty 'wide fat' felt right and the 'wide thin' on the Floyd Rose Custom 24 felt very wrong. For perspective, most of my guitars are Hamer or Charvel shred sleds.

By the numbers, you're completely correct.

I think it has something to do with the shape of the carve, not the thickness. Believe me, I was utterly bewildered. At time of purchase, I was switching back and forth between two guitars with the different neck carves that were sitting right next to each other. It's all very subjective, of course, but the McCarty 'wide fat' felt right and the 'wide thin' on the Floyd Rose Custom 24 felt very wrong. For perspective, most of my guitars are Hamer or Charvel shred sleds.
What is the standard floyd rose nut width vs prs nut width? That probably contains our answer actually. I dont know floyd specs like i do prs gibson or fender haha.

What is the standard floyd rose nut width vs prs nut width? That probably contains our answer actually. I dont know floyd specs like i do prs gibson or fender haha.
That's a fair guess, but both guitars were 1 11/16".

Floyd rose nuts can be either 1 11/16" or 1 5/8", but I believe PRS consistently uses 1 11/16".

But the real question is, DID YOU PLAY THE KAIZEN?
I didn't plug it in as i'm not a 7 stringer guy. I sat down with it on my lap though and played acoustically. Beautifully constructed. The neck was awesome. Reminded me a lot of a JP neck but felt thinner on back side.

After seeing Cliff's Christmas present to himself, I got a little envious and my first PRS is one you've been looking at: an S2 McCarty SC, used from Dave's, and it's one amazing, essentially brand new, guitar. One great thing about the S2 McCartys is that the 2 piece bridge and tuners are the same USA hardware as on the regular McCarty. @Budda is right, it's a big neck. Happy hunting!

z1.jpg

Last edited:
After seeing Cliff's Christmas present to himself, I got a little envious and my first PRS is one you've been looking at: an S2 McCarty SC, used from Dave's, and it's one amazing, essentially brand new, guitar. One great thing about the S2 McCartys is that the 2 piece bridge and tuners are the same USA hardware as on the regular McCarty. @Budda is right, it's a big neck. Happy hunting!

View attachment 114022
Gorgeous! congrats. This was the exact model/finish I went to check out initially . Beauty.

Here’s the last pic of my tour dog S2 while we’re at it:

View attachment 114023

I like these but not too thrilled with satin guitars. These are oddballs because they didn’t fill the grain. The black charcoal satin looks great though. I have a guitar listed local right now. When it sells I’m going to pick up a S2 Standard 22. Was looking at a 24 but those are pattern thin. I like them fat. My fav neck is a Korean SE245 which is called wide fat but bigger than my US Singlecut wide fat from 2006. Looks like you love that guitar and it gets a lot of play time. Great price on these for a USA build.

I like these but not too thrilled with satin guitars. These are oddballs because they didn’t fill the grain. The black charcoal satin looks great though. I have a guitar listed local right now. When it sells I’m going to pick up a S2 Standard 22. Was looking at a 24 but those are pattern thin. I like them fat. My fav neck is a Korean SE245 which is called wide fat but bigger than my US Singlecut wide fat from 2006. Looks like you love that guitar and it gets a lot of play time. Great price on these for a USA build.
What would you guys liken a S2 Standard model to?....or when you think of one what style comes to mind? I really liked the Standard 22 Satin I played about a year ago. this has me thinking about it again

What would you guys liken a S2 Standard model to?....or when you think of one what style comes to mind? I really liked the Standard 22 Satin I played about a year ago. this has me thinking about it again

Not sure what they equate to. Sort of SG like but they don’t look like those. I like the stripped down look. No birds. Maybe more like a LP Special.

Back
Top Bottom