PRS set neck and bridge?

ScottyB

Experienced
I came across a nice PRS SC 245 that I’m interested in purchasing. I’ve never had a PRS and have never had a guitar with a set neck, let alone a bridge that didn’t have an option for adjusting the intonation. I know there are some PRS aficionados here so how do these work? Is the intonation always ‘dead-on’? Any info/feedback is greatly appreciated.
1563801675751.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the budget version of that guitar...the SE 245. The intonation was spot on when I bought it, and has remained so ever since. I've just made sure to use the same string gauges that it came with. I use 9-46 on all of my other guitars, but have stayed with 9-42 strings on the SE 245. Some day I'll try a set of 9-46 just to see if it can be intonated properly, but for now, I'm very happy with it as-is. It plays like a dream, too.

I find the intonation to be acceptable on these. Perfect? There’s no such thing as perfect intonation on a fixed-pitch instrument like the guitar. Will it be as good as an adjustable-intonation bridge? No; but I still find it acceptable.

We routinely accept even less-adjustable intonation with acoustic guitars.

BTW, having a set-in neck doesn’t affect intonation. It just means not having to wrap your hand around screws and a neck plate. :)

I've owned a few, one of which was a PRS McMarty with a non-adjustable bridge, no glaring intonation issues. I've also played an SC245 and it was a great playing guitar, again without any tuning issues. As far as the neck joint, you're talking about one of the leaders in the industry when it comes to fit, finish and quality control.

I've had several PRSs with those bridges over the years. My intonation is much worse than anything the bridge was responsible for. I had a Gibson 54 Historic gold top with their fixed wraparound tailpiece and it was no problem either.

Back
Top Bottom