PRS SE Custom

slinky005

Power User
I am a PRS virgin.
Played around with a few SE's but never owned one.
Looking at the SE Custom 22.
Are the SE's known to to have tuning issues or is it because of the floating bridge?
I've played a couple of SE's and both would not stay in tune for long.

I have a CE-24. It is the only non-locking tremolo guitar I own. Also the only PRS.

I bought it used and I had a lot of issues keeping it stable at first. I think I posted about it here.

Ultimately what helped a lot was adjusting the bridge mounting screws. It's a 6-screw system and every screw has a knife-edge. They all need to be correctly adjusted or else the bridge won't settle correctly.

As far as I know from attending a recent local PRS event, the hardware and construction of the SE is the same as the Custom and CE. The SE just don't get fancy carved tops.

I have played a few of the SE models. Most were very nice guitars considering the price point. Yes you can spend a lot more and get a PRS, but if you’re on a budget and looking for a great guitar the SE might just fit the bill.

I picked up a PRS SE 24 Floyd- I've owned it a year... and haven't unlocked the nut to tune it- literally in a year

They're solid

I have two SE's - an '09 Custom 22 and the 25th Anniversary Custom 24. Both are excellent guitars for the price range. I had some issues w/ the 22 staying in tune when I first got it - replaced the nut and tuning stability was fixed. That 22 would probably be my #1 guitar, period - it plays like a dream - except that I prefer guitars w/ 3 pups.

I had a PRS SE Custom 24 with Floyd, and it stayed in tune incredibly well. It was my "leave in the Jeep, take on trips" guitar. I went all over the place with it, long road trips, lots of hotel room playing, and it rarely needed anything. Maybe some slight adjustment on the fine tuning screws, but the locking nut was only touched when doing a string change. Just sold it though, so need to find a replacement.

I bought it for used for $400. Sold it for $400 several years later. It would be hard to find something that matched it in quality for the money.

I have three SE models: an older Custom 22, and a relatively new Custom 24 w/Floyd Rose and SE 245. All three are great bang for the buck, although I did replace the pups on the Custom 22 and Custom 24 (mostly just to try something different and wanted to add coil splitting, not because I disliked the factory pups). As has been said, the SE series guitars are great bang for the buck.

I've had no tuning issues with any of them. My Custom 22 has a graphite nut...not sure if it was that way from the factory, since I bought it used. With maybe 3 exceptions over the past 6 years or so, the only times I've needed to loosen the locking nut on the Custom 24 is when I've changed strings.

Back
Top Bottom