PRS SC245?

addedc

Experienced
I've been playing a PRS CE-24 as my main guitar for a couple of years. It's a great sounding guitar, but I never really bonded with the wide thin neck.

I just tried a PRS SC245 that had a great neck (thicker, more like a baseball bat) and great sound. Although it didn't have a splitter for single coils, the volume control on the pick ups is amazing and seemed to clean it up into glassy/chimey single coil range.

Does anyone on the forum play one of these and have any insight? I'm thinking it might be a good replacement. For what it's worth, I am a meat and potatoes player. My cover band plays danceable rock from say, Grand Funk to Kelly Clarkson to Foo Fighters. My actual favorite guitar is a Gretsch Country Gentleman Jr, which has a perfect neck and sounds awesome but isn't quite versatile enough for everything.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Get a Suhr classic or a Suhr S4 in HSS format with the silent single coil system. You can cover anything with those guitars!

I have a custom built 245, and it's a great meat a tatos guitar, and it is as well built as any of my suhrs or Anderson's. it's a great tool for many tasks.

I have a PRS SC 58. I do like the PRS a lot, but it is a different animal from anything else. Th neck is nice but I didn't bond with it immediately. I grew up on LPs so that contributes to my impression of the PRS neck. Different radius, very different feel. Every PRS I've ever owned has a smoothness to its overall sound that can be a good thing or a bad thing. The 245 is a good all around guitar with great build quality. If you liked it, go for it.

I also own a SC245. It does what it does fantastically and I love it, but it is not a versatile guitar. I tend to play my PRS David Grissom more, but mostly I play my 50th Anniversary Strat these days. I just find it to be much more flexible.

Definitely the SC is a great looking guitar, but that isn't really why I am interested in it and it's almost a concern. I plan on playing it, which means wearing on it a bit. After 3 or 4 years, my CE-24 is close to needing a fret job and it has a few dings which all diminishes the high price PRS's command. Why do you think the Suhr is more versatile, Count? Rolling off the volume on the pups on the SC245 got it well into single-coil spank range.

I own both and agree with you that the prs looks best. However, the op is looking for versatility. In that case a HSS Suhr will cover more ground than a sc245.

Haha I was only joking. :) But I don't think any other guitar does the PRS thing. Suhr is great for sure but PRS has that warm woody tone quality that I haven't found anywhere else. I even put PRS pickups to my other guitars but they don't sound anything alike. :(

I have a PRS 20th anniversary singlecut and it is rad. They have so much beef. The pickups (#7s in this one) are quite hot though so I've lowered them considerably, and its much more versatile now. Not sure what the 245 PUs are like.

I've been playing a PRS CE-24 as my main guitar for a couple of years. It's a great sounding guitar, but I never really bonded with the wide thin neck.

I just tried a PRS SC245 that had a great neck (thicker, more like a baseball bat) and great sound. Although it didn't have a splitter for single coils, the volume control on the pick ups is amazing and seemed to clean it up into glassy/chimey single coil range.

Does anyone on the forum play one of these and have any insight? I'm thinking it might be a good replacement. For what it's worth, I am a meat and potatoes player. My cover band plays danceable rock from say, Grand Funk to Kelly Clarkson to Foo Fighters. My actual favorite guitar is a Gretsch Country Gentleman Jr, which has a perfect neck and sounds awesome but isn't quite versatile enough for everything.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I know it's not an American PRS, but here's a video review I did of a PRS SE 245 guitar. This SE 245 model should should be similar in feel to the SC245.
Note that the 245 guitar has a short scale length (24.5"), which might take some getting used to.

Hope that helps,

Dave Z

Nice vid man... I saw this one a wile back when I was shopping for a different guitar. I had a single cut Trem 10 top with #6 pups, 25" scale wide fat neck carve. It took a wile to get used to and started to feel heavy after a hour or two of playing. The one thing I have noticed is the carving on the top is not quite the same on the SE models which is kind of a bummer given the amount of time the CnC needs to pass over the top. Given the money involved in these guitars and the deal you found they have a good value to playability.

As you pointed out the scale length will make this guitar more reminiscent of a Paul. The one other thing that I like about PRS guitars is the Radius of the fret boards nice and comfy. How are the volume and tone knobs? do they spin pretty quick or do they feel like they have cold syrup in the pot?

Nice vid man... I saw this one a wile back when I was shopping for a different guitar. I had a single cut Trem 10 top with #6 pups, 25" scale wide fat neck carve. It took a wile to get used to and started to feel heavy after a hour or two of playing. The one thing I have noticed is the carving on the top is not quite the same on the SE models which is kind of a bummer given the amount of time the CnC needs to pass over the top. Given the money involved in these guitars and the deal you found they have a good value to playability.

As you pointed out the scale length will make this guitar more reminiscent of a Paul. The one other thing that I like about PRS guitars is the Radius of the fret boards nice and comfy. How are the volume and tone knobs? do they spin pretty quick or do they feel like they have cold syrup in the pot?

Thanks. The knobs are fine, but the vol/tone for the neck pickup is in the front and the bridge vol/tone is in the back. I reversed the pots since I usually play on the bridge, and wanted the pots for the bridge to be in the front. The control cavity was neatly wired. Weak points on the SE series are the nut and tuners. I believe the fretboard radius is 12" which is similar to most Gibsons.

Dave Z

Thanks for the video link, Dave. The US made has different pickups but it was helpful. Thanks everyone for the other tips.

Probably after the fact, but if you dig the PRS line, want a FAT humbucker tone with a thicker body, but still love single coils as well, look at a classic McCarty!!! I have two McCarty's and an Artist SIngle Cut. All are unique, and I classify the Singlecut as what a Les Paul should have been - articulate and non muddy. That being said, there's nothing like being able to whip out of a humbucker bridge solo into a neck single-coil rhythm sound. That's the McCarty.

Back
Top Bottom