PRS McCarty 594. Update: One Inbound 😳

Rick

Axe-Master
I’ve been using PRS 513 guitars as my main gigging axes for over 10 years now, and am currently working on reconfiguring my guitar collection to being a bit more consistent. The playability of PRS guitars suits my fingers just fine, and the tone of the 58/15LT pickups in the 594 are a good match for the pickups in my 72 SG Standard (the patent sticker, embossed ones) so this would make an easy gig transition when I want to bring the SG out. I’m going to keep a Tele and a couple of Strats, but I think this guitar will cover my Les Paul sound needs, so my LP and a Carvin are currently on Reverb/EBay.

Have any of you tried or are using a McCarty 594 with the 58/15LTs? What I’m wondering about is the variations. Do you note a difference in tone between the single/double cut models? The semi-hollow body model? I have my thoughts and will share them in a bit, but didn’t want to color opinions going in. I’m looking forward to hearing what you’ve experienced.

Oh, and in the interest of preparedness... I already have a meme for NGD:

40090BB1-07A1-407A-BD5B-F83406ED8B6E.jpeg

I own both a double cut and a single cut McCarty 594, both solid bodies, both with rosewood necks. I have not noticed any difference in tone between either of them. But that is my humble opinion. The only difference is the obvious difference in upper fret access due to one being a single cut and the other being a double cut, but that is negligible in my opinion

exciting stuff. I'm looking into buying a prs myself...but the core models are kinda above my budget atm.
Looking forward to see the inputs you get :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the 513s were an investment, for certain (both 07 models, but bought in different years, used). In my situation, they paid their way and helped offset income on the business side tax-wise. I have a feeling the 594 will also be a used purchase, as the Core Series guitars haven’t gotten any more wallet-friendly.

I own both a double cut and a single cut McCarty 594, both solid bodies, both with rosewood necks. I have not noticed any difference in tone between either of them. But that is my humble opinion. The only difference is the obvious difference in upper fret access due to one being a single cut and the other being a double cut, but that is negligible in my opinion
Great info, exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Must be good luck to post... found a nice seller with one in my price range. I’m doing it.

Reactions: jon
Love mine. It's built like a tank! .. picked it up on Reverb.
Yes, this was a Reverb purchase also. No way could I afford a new Artist Package model. Can’t wait to A/B those pickups with my old Gibsons. That SC looks awesome, love the grey/black combo!

Well done, you're going to have some fun with that one!

It took me ages to get along with the LT pickups (even took them out of my sc594, but dc594 still stock). Later firmwares seemed to have really helped, but don't be afraid to make guitar specific presets for this one, as there are great tones to be found.

Well done, you're going to have some fun with that one!

It took me ages to get along with the LT pickups (even took them out of my sc594, but dc594 still stock). Later firmwares seemed to have really helped, but don't be afraid to make guitar specific presets for this one, as there are great tones to be found.
I have a 72 SG with T-Top pickups. Back in the day, I thought they were underpowered in a world of DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbuckers, but I love the tone now. Very clear even through a raging amp, and even in the neck position. I’ve been playing PRS guitars for years so being able to combine a PRS guitar with that lower power pickup clarity was a big draw for me. I’m really impressed with the sound, and of course the craftsmanship is top shelf. I’m looking forward to experimenting with it!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Some relatively small things that are making the difference.

The new bridge/tailpiece: Ok, it looks Gibson-esqe. It is, but such an improvement. The bridge is beefy and rock-solid. It’s the stop tail that impressed me, particularly on the first string change. It appears, at first glance, that there are grooves across the top but they are actually slots. The string ball end drops through, the slides a touch sideways to get to the place that engages the ball to keep it in place. Taking the strings off, they just pop loose and the tailpiece remains bolted firmly to the guitar. No pulling strings all the way through the tailpiece, coming and going. It sounds simple, but it makes such a difference in use. Just easy. The bridge materials are top rate, and I hear they are made to contribute to sound transfer. Considering the thought given to the design I am sure it does. If there’s a theme to my first impressions of this guitar it would be “Little things matter!”

Controls: Sometimes it is good to just do what works first, then add something useful. This is what they did here. They didn’t force the PRS Way... it’s a vintage inspired guitar, and anyone who has played Gibson guitars with two pickups will already be familiar with this. Add in two very useful coil split switches on the tone knobs, and you have a great all around arrangement. And the tapped sounds don’t lose a ton of volume, which adds to their function.

Case: Ok, I know no one cares about the case. But man, these artist cases are pretty. A very nice patterned, upholstered look on the outside, and a luxurious and form fitted interior. Heavier than the normal case, which I’d guess comes from thicker material, is a load but you certainly feel the guitar is safe. And stylish.

Neck: Rosewood... I love the feel of it. The neck shape feels comfortable, and the feel of the natural wood is perfect. I have rosewood necks on my 513s and one EBMM. All of them feel great to play, even during sweaty outdoor concerts.

Pickups: Maybe the defining thing about this guitar. Clear and balanced. Clean? Awesome. Both pickups. Grind? Still sound great, articulate and powerful. Lots of gain and FX? Incredible. You can hear the notes, so you can hear the effect in a nice way. Impressed.

Again, I keep finding little things that, by themselves, wouldn’t turn your head. But as a package, they add up to make a pleasant playing experience that is hard to tag to any one thing. When you play a new guitar, there is always a bit of “wow, that’s different!“ to it. But something does really feel different here. Time will tell, but first few day’s impression is pretty strong.

Fantastic Rick I know you have been eyeing this for a while. Hope it inspires you to play your best.

Thanks Tom! It took a while, and looks like a real Les Paul option for us PRS guys... at least this one. So far, impressed and intrigued by the instrument.

Wow. @Rick that is on another level. Congrats man.

It‘s pure craftsmanship. I’m amazed at the top wood. I’ve never really seen anything like it before. Almost stone-like in appearance. Those guys know how to turn wood into art, for sure.

It‘s pure craftsmanship. I’m amazed at the top wood. I’ve never really seen anything like it before. Almost stone-like in appearance. Those guys know how to turn wood into art, for sure.

If you've never been to PRS Experience, go. (OK - it CAN be expensive, depending on your willpower.) Music, workshops, factory tour...and yes, dealer displays and purchase on the spot if you want...

I was supposed to go in 2018, and got diverted to other business. I need to give this another try in 2020!

I’d be wise to leave my credit card at the hotel!

Back
Top Bottom