PRS is it real?

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
I've never owned a PRS and know there are a lot of fakes out there. A guy is offering me a trade and seems like he's legit, but I know there are a ton of PRS guys here. Does this look like the real thing to you and ball park, where would you value it? I've looked at the sold listings on Ebay, but they vary by 1K. It's a 1997 according to the owner.
Thanks as always!!!

Attachments

• PRS Front.jpg
    PRS Front.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • PRS back.jpg
    PRS back.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • PRS headstock.jpg
    PRS headstock.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
  • PRS back headstock.jpg
    PRS back headstock.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
That looks real, but the serial number will confirm it. Neck heel is longer so it's late '95 or beyond. Old style wing tuners. I'd put it in the '96-'99 range. I am no PRS dating expert, though I do love a few here.

Edit: you said '97 -- that jives with the heel and tuner setup on the guitar. Serial number will tell you for certain. What do they want for it?

Check the serial number with PRS, that'll also tell you if it's stolen.

This isn't exactly the best advice

1. Most knockoffs have the same serial numbers, some manufactures know them- some don't

2. People think calling or worse- a serial number decoder means it's real-- they just have a set of rules and whatever you make up can get the same answer.

3. My secret- Call the guitar company and say- 'i have this serial- tell me everything' so when you call fender and your blue guitar in front of you at a pawn shop left the factory brown sunburst- you know it's parted together, or fake

Last

There aren't that many fake PRS guitars out there- I see 1 fake PRS for every 100 gibson/fender/ibanez

And they aren't very good- the backplate and stuff aren't anywhere near what it should be, wrong shape/design/etc

PRS Support is very helpful in checking if the guitar you have matches their records. While it is true that some fake builders use a PRS serial number, it’s unlikely they can match it to all the finish/hardware/materials used in the original. You can also check with the guys on the PRS forum, as they know he intricacies of different models and hardware very well.

The guitar in the pictures looks genuine to me.

Easy way to tell, look for the initials and stickers under the pickups, it shows the builders and inspectors, most of the time the model sticker is left on under the clear coat inside

PRS 513 - Buy such a guitar!
This is not false!

Attachments

• PRS 513.jpg
    PRS 513.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PRS 513:2.jpg
    PRS 513:2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom