PRS HBII Elec/Piezo Presets

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Hello, folks,

Spent some time behind the computer this afternoon creating and tweaking presets to taste. The 1st is my take on a clean dry acoustic guitar preset, with several scenes that contain wet/clean signal.

The 2nd is @JasonE's preset found in the AxeExchange, re-worked so as to consolidate effects blocks and minimize CPU usage.

My hope is that you'll enjoy both. My examples utilizes a PRS HBII Piezo Electric/Acoustic. EL PIEZ is the clean acoustic. HBII PZ is both clean, crunch and driven.

A looper block was not included for adjustments in either file, but IIRC it can be added without causing CPU overload.

Please inform me if these presets did not contain the desired blocks. (This is my 1st opportunity to share these presets with you; please tell me how to upload attachments to the forum if the preset links don't contain anything.)

Attachments

• EL PIEZ.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
  • HBII PZ.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Nice! I have a PRS HBII Piezo too. Great guitar! I don't have an FM9 currently but may soon. I'm looking forward to trying out your presets! Thanks for posting them...:cool:

Nice! I have a PRS HBII Piezo too. Great guitar! I don't have an FM9 currently but may soon. I'm looking forward to trying out your presets! Thanks for posting them...:cool:
Thanks!

Hang in there, @guitarno. If you're strong and healthy enough, the supply chain will eventually begin to move past the bottleneck it's currently experiencing. A bottleneck happens when too much of anything is put through a small opening (3 Stooges trying to make it through the door at the same time comes to mind). Currently, we can't widen the bottleneck, only thing we can do is allow a steady flow to come through. Putting pressure through the system will not work and only creates spillage through the system.

So, we wait. We don't overanalyze. We can't put a band-aid solution on a problem that requires OUR patience. We will see FM9s being delivered soon.

The EL PIEZ preset is strictly a clear dry/wet signal with no drive blocks, only a Tube Pre amp block and cab with modulation. It serves the needs of a clean electric-acoustic piezo-equipped guitar. Many folks own these, so I thought to put this out there for folks to try themselves.

Regards, the HBII Piezo, I ran some tests on the presets and make a choice to adjust @JasonE's preset so it utilizes 1 input instead of 2. The HBII Piezo is quite able to perform adequately with 1 instrument cable; the blend knob covers a multitude of sins with the volume knob offsetting any issues if the humbuckers weren't utilized.

The HBII Piezo preset contains a Tube Pre and 2 separate Dirty Shirley amps. The DS amps are similar except for the drive setting in the amp block. I made sure that the cabs for the clean scene didn't sound too nasally or mid-forward. It took a while, but I think they are OK. The DS cabs were @JasonE's choice and they're pretty spectacular.

I really wasn't sure how to upload presets from the FM9...so I saved them as templates, then exported them to my desktop. Apparently, when you click "attach files" in the response screen, it's necessary to drag the files into the open screen, not select them from the next open screen. If one selects from the menu, that produces an error response that says, "It appears that your files are empty," and doesn't post them.

Dragging the files into the response screen is an alternate solution.

Last edited:
Regards, the HBII Piezo, I ran some tests on the presets and make a choice to adjust @JasonE's preset so it utilizes 1 input instead of 2. The HBII Piezo is quite able to perform adequately with 1 instrument cable; the blend knob covers a multitude of sins with the volume knob offsetting any issues if the humbuckers weren't utilized.

I created them as separate inputs because I run both acoustic and magnetic sounds at the same time. I don't want to run my piezo through an overdriven or clean electric amp. The separate inputs keeps the sounds separated. You can then use the knobs to blend how much of the piezo you want along with the electric sounds.

I created them as separate inputs because I run both acoustic and magnetic sounds at the same time. I don't want to run my piezo through an overdriven or clean electric amp. The separate inputs keeps the sounds separated. You can then use the knobs to blend how much of the piezo you want along with the electric sounds.
I'd thought of that as well. My concern is needing 2 cables to plug into the guitar/FM9, which creates a minor "tangle" hazard. The reason I used only 1 input was so my PRS HBII Piezo could use its MAG/PIEZO jack, and the volume/blend knobs for separate humbucker/piezo tones.

The piezo thru a slightly overdriven amp is "OK", but some prefer clean acoustic with overdriven magnetic pickups.

We all have our preferences; I'd thought to save a little time and effort by combining what you posted into a "one input" preset.

I'd thought of that as well. My concern is needing 2 cables to plug into the guitar/FM9, which creates a minor "tangle" hazard. The reason I used only 1 input was so my PRS HBII Piezo could use its MAG/PIEZO jack, and the volume/blend knobs for separate humbucker/piezo tones.

The piezo thru a slightly overdriven amp is "OK", but some prefer clean acoustic with overdriven magnetic pickups.

We all have our preferences; I'd thought to save a little time and effort by combining what you posted into a "one input" preset.
You could use a "Dual Cable" like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nch-ts-1-4-inch-ts-interconnect-cable-10-foot

I use this cable with my dual output guitar. It eliminates the potential for "Tangles"...

Here are my 2 re-worked presets:

HBII PZ is now named MAG-PZ and utilizes only the MAG-PIEZO jack of a dual pickup electric/acoustic PRS HBII. The entire platform is set for a clean, crunch and lead scenes, using a Tube Pre CH A Clean for Scene 1; a Dirty Shirley 2 CH B CRUNCH for Scene 2, and a Dirty Shirley CH C LEAD for Scene 3.

I think the choice of cabs is awesome, and I credit @JasonE for providing his thru the AxeChange. My choice for Scene 1 CABs are a 2x10 B-Face Vibe Lux 57 D AB and a 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 414. Scene 1's bass is focused and tight...no boominess nor flubby. Scene 2 and 3 put a lot more hair on the signal paths, and the preset is both singing and chewy.

The preset sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself.

The 2nd preset has been renamed to EL PIEZ1 and incorporates a Tube Pre & Brit JM45 amps with 2x10 B-Face Vibe Lux 57 D AB and 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 121 CABs. The platform is solely set as a clean platform, with Scenes 2 and 3 adding a touch more drive for emphasizing edge of breakup. The Brit JM45 sits nicely in the mix, I think. This also only uses the MAG/PIEZO jack of a PRS HBII Piezo.

I think this is a useful preset for folks who desire some wet signal, but no overt distortion. The edge of breakup serves nicely in this respect.

The idea of utilizing a dual TS cable did cross my mind, but just working with the dual I/Os seemed less than necessary. For all practical purposes, just connecting with the MAG/PIEZO jack of my guitar was enough to convince me that I'd found the answer to creating a cleaner signal path. It was not the easiest way of solving my acoustic needs questions, but it served the purpose.

Attachments

• MAG-PZ.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 33
  • EL PIEZ1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi -- I have a Hollow Body II with Piezo. Attached is an all-purpose gig patch. I did not use a cab for the Piezo pickup. When using the HBii piezo -- I prefer without a cab ( I think it sounds better - more acoustic). FYI -- I run my fractal through the PA.

Enjoy

Attachments

• PRS Twin.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi -- I have a Hollow Body II with Piezo. Attached is an all-purpose gig patch. I did not use a cab for the Piezo pickup. When using the HBii piezo -- I prefer without a cab ( I think it sounds better - more acoustic). FYI -- I run my fractal through the PA.

Enjoy
Thanks for posting! I re-worked my piezo presets recently and used a similar design (have not checked yours yet) but will repost mine with a screen shot of the preset screens for a better visual later this evening.

Tweaked it some more -- now it is pretty close to my AXE iii preset. Had to work it a bit to get the CPU down
This is for the FM9, yes? Will check it out Monday. Need to call it a night, didn't sleep well Saturday night and am paying for it now...

This is for the FM9, yes? Will check it out Monday. Need to call it a night, didn't sleep well Saturday night and am paying for it now...
YES FM9 -- porting was a little tricky -- (CPU) -- took a bit of editing. (removing blocks I did not use much) in an effort to reduce CPU for the Axe3 to FM9 port.

YES FM9 -- porting was a little tricky -- (CPU) -- took a bit of editing. (removing blocks I did not use much) in an effort to reduce CPU for the Axe3 to FM9 port.
Thanks. It was necessary for me to pare down the whole of the file, removing several unnecessary blocks (phaser, pan/trem) before I could arrive at what I'd personally need. It'll be a day or 2 before I can actually practice with the preset; my schedule is booked for Tuesday already.

I noted that you've got some funk scenes lined up. What do the Sly and Barry scenes do, and how are they different?

Thanks. It was necessary for me to pare down the whole of the file, removing several unnecessary blocks (phaser, pan/trem) before I could arrive at what I'd personally need. It'll be a day or 2 before I can actually practice with the preset; my schedule is booked for Tuesday already.

I noted that you've got some funk scenes lined up. What do the Sly and Barry scenes do, and how are they different?
Sly -- Sly Stone -- we do several sly tunes (Dance to the Music, Higher etc). Barry - Barry white -- for intro to "Can't get enough of your love" Boogie Oogie" etc funk -- think MJ "Billie Jean"

Porting my Bowie "Dance" preset next

FYI -- I have an R&B/dance band -- will play mostly Motown, classic disco -- some rock

Sly -- Sly Stone -- we do several sly tunes (Dance to the Music, Higher etc). Barry - Barry white -- for intro to "Can't get enough of your love" Boogie Oogie" etc funk -- think MJ "Billie Jean"

Porting my Bowie "Dance" preset next

FYI -- I have an R&B/dance band -- will play mostly Motown, classic disco -- some rock
Nice! One of my old buddies had a swing band that toured regionally. Both R&B and swing I could get my head around. I've got a decent collection (but not extensive) of R&B in my Music library. Will need to brush up on some of the more danceable tunes.

Here are my 2 re-worked presets:

HBII PZ is now named MAG-PZ and utilizes only the MAG-PIEZO jack of a dual pickup electric/acoustic PRS HBII. The entire platform is set for a clean, crunch and lead scenes, using a Tube Pre CH A Clean for Scene 1; a Dirty Shirley 2 CH B CRUNCH for Scene 2, and a Dirty Shirley CH C LEAD for Scene 3.

I think the choice of cabs is awesome, and I credit @JasonE for providing his thru the AxeChange. My choice for Scene 1 CABs are a 2x10 B-Face Vibe Lux 57 D AB and a 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 414. Scene 1's bass is focused and tight...no boominess nor flubby. Scene 2 and 3 put a lot more hair on the signal paths, and the preset is both singing and chewy.

The preset sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself.

The 2nd preset has been renamed to EL PIEZ1 and incorporates a Tube Pre & Brit JM45 amps with 2x10 B-Face Vibe Lux 57 D AB and 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 121 CABs. The platform is solely set as a clean platform, with Scenes 2 and 3 adding a touch more drive for emphasizing edge of breakup. The Brit JM45 sits nicely in the mix, I think. This also only uses the MAG/PIEZO jack of a PRS HBII Piezo.

I think this is a useful preset for folks who desire some wet signal, but no overt distortion. The edge of breakup serves nicely in this respect.

The idea of utilizing a dual TS cable did cross my mind, but just working with the dual I/Os seemed less than necessary. For all practical purposes, just connecting with the MAG/PIEZO jack of my guitar was enough to convince me that I'd found the answer to creating a cleaner signal path. It was not the easiest way of solving my acoustic needs questions, but it served the purpose.
Hi Bluejazz. Thanks for the presets.
Regarding two cables for Inputs one and two, a Lehle P-Split gives you one guitar cable into both inputs.
If you use Presets, you can bypass the unwanted input as the inputs do work best when electric goes to one and acoustic/piezo into 2.
I'm using a Fender Acoustasonic which has the one output, hence doing it like this.
Hope this helps.

Hi Bluejazz. Thanks for the presets.
Regarding two cables for Inputs one and two, a Lehle P-Split gives you one guitar cable into both inputs.
If you use Presets, you can bypass the unwanted input as the inputs do work best when electric goes to one and acoustic/piezo into 2.
I'm using a Fender Acoustasonic which has the one output, hence doing it like this.
Hope this helps.
@Hugomack,

Thanks for your reply. Normally, I'd be all over this, but my HBII Piezo is no longer part of my collection anymore. Sold it last year. My HBII Piezo presets were set aside and offloaded to my computer, and the original FM9 HBII preset deleted.

I like that the Lehle offers an option to work with one guitar cable, but realize that the HBII has 2 outputs for magnetic and piezo. Still unclear as to how the P-Split would work, except that it would enable 2 cables to input into the P-Split which would output 1 cable for the FM9.

Was originally hoping to avoid 2 HBII cables altogether.

The P-Split splits 1 into 2. So you have one guitar lead going into both inputs 1 and 2. My patch has both, so Scenes for magnetic have Input 2 bypassed, and vice versa.

The P-Split splits 1 into 2. So you have one guitar lead going into both inputs 1 and 2. My patch has both, so Scenes for magnetic have Input 2 bypassed, and vice versa.
Using a TRS cable to the Lehle, then? The HBII Piezo sports a Mag/Piezo output that accepts a TRS, IIRC. Great idea!

Last edited:
No!
I'm writing patches for a Fender Acoustatronic - one mono output. So how to use both its magnetic and its piezo/mic outpt in one patch? My answer is a standard guitar lead into the Lehle and two very short standard pedal board leads to Inputs 1 and 2.

Back
Top Bottom