PRS Guys - Identifying Question

nojyeloot

Experienced
Without getting any more pictures, is there any way to tell whether this is an SE or just a regular custom 24? These are all the pictures I've got.01616_3JhOFOLtHxl_600x450.jpg00v0v_jPyRpCuFa6K_600x450.jpg00G0G_lwBfes9dsnd_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

The head stock Paul Reed Smith signature gives the impression its an american custom 24
The pickups give the impression it is either an old C24 or the stock new style pick ups have been changed,
they could be HFS / ??? which were the early bridge / neck pups. or maybe just had the covers removed.
Newer pups where something like 57/06 , 59/08 with covers normally
Normally all the SE's I've seen have a little SE on the headstock this one doesn't ( I have 1 american & 5 SE different models )
The serial number would help with the year it was made.
The birds are the old style in the neck don't know the year they started putting the shaded type birds in, the ones in this neck are same as what was first used , I have a 25th aniv SE and one selling point was the guitar was same as the first production run supposedly including bird type.
The selector switch for the pup position is not a rotary , its a blade , so I think that was changed about 10 years ago.

don't know what the tell tale differance is between the SE and the S2

obviously goes with out saying there is a big difference in the price between an SE and an American, so if the guitar is being sold at an SE price tag its a bargain, but could be too true to believe, can you play it ?
If its cheap as chips and plays well its a no brainer, but if its American price bracket its a problem a lot more info needed.

G \../

Hey man thanks for all that info. The guy is selling it for just over a grand and he says it's a 2018 American made. I'm trying to get pictures of the back side of it so I can see the serial number and make that deduction. I just wanted to know whether or not I was wasting my time up front, some offering him a trade for a really nice guitar base on the fact that it's American made.

With the locking tuners and the top bevel not a carve looks like a s2 Cu24, maryland made just at a more affordable price point.

Thanks to all you guys chiming in. This got me where I needed to be. REALLY appreciate you all.

Because of the info you game me, I found this video and it helped as well.

Hi

An S2 would tie in nicely with the SE look to the body , neck birds & pickups
Looks like the guitar in the link to the prs website
doesn't sound like the guy is giving the guitar away at a grand whether its pounds sterling or dollars

I would say you need a lot more info, the S2 features sound nice,
however never had chance to hear these pickups ,
there is supposed to be a push pull coil tap feature which could be usefull,

I notice the video has covered pickups which make a slight difference to the tone.

G \../

Back
Top Bottom