prs guitars. where to start ?

Tonewicker

Inspired
i never interested in prs guitars before but now im starting to think about getting one but there are too many models with almost the same name so i got confused. what are the standard models of prs (i mean like ''fender american standard'' or ''gibson les paul standard'' ) plus any suggestions ?

Last edited:
There are quite a few models now, used to be the CE22 and 24, and Custom 22 and 24 but the current list is a lot longer.

Personally, I started using the 513 in 2006 and loved it. I sold that one, and within six months had to buy another because nothing else could cover so much sonic ground. I now have two: one in black gold with the regular mahoghany neck, and another in vintage violin burst with a Brazilian rosewood neck; the latter being my #1.

If I was going to suggest a PRS for someone not knowing what they intended to play on it, the 513 is the obvious choice. I own several great guitars, but these are the two I always come back to in the end.

Good advice from Rick. I have a couple of PRS guitars. I have a CE24 from the early 90's and a Hollowbody II from 2000. The Hollowbody and I both survived Y2K. If you can go to a store with a large PRS inventory, I suggest you do that. There are a lot of models to choose from, different neck shapes, and as Rick noted, different tones. Since you will likely drop some big coin on a PRS I think it is a good idea to narrow down what you want from your instrument.

Just my $0.2.

The Standard 22 and Standard 24 were...well...The Standard for PRS for a long time. They're no longer made in the primary factory unfortunately. I can't speak to how the S2 versions play, but the top carve on them is different so that alone would make me wary recommending them as the starting point for a foray in to the world of PRS. So I'll say that I think a used Standard 24 is sort of the perfect introduction to PRS. Find one with the standard neck carve and you've got everything that makes a PRS a PRS in one sweet package. They take well to different pickup changes, stay in tune, don't float with the weather changes, and just play so damn well.

The CE series is the other PRS. The bolt-on side. It's endured time with little in the way of changes which says a lot about how well it was designed from the get go. That's the other one I'd recommend checking out. Especially if you like maple necks.

Beyond that, the sky is the limit. If you like a shorter scale try an SC 245. If you like semi-hollow guitars, The Hollowbody II.

They make pretty guitars, but my love for PRS has always been for their plainer, every day guitars. My two main guitars are a '95 Standard 24 and a '98 Hollowbody Spruce (which is nearly full-hollow, only a block directly under the bridge). Indefatigable guitars. Just fantastic instruments that have never let me down.

There are quite a few models now, used to be the CE22 and 24, and Custom 22 and 24 but the current list is a lot longer.

Personally, I started using the 513 in 2006 and loved it. I sold that one, and within six months had to buy another because nothing else could cover so much sonic ground. I now have two: one in black gold with the regular mahoghany neck, and another in vintage violin burst with a Brazilian rosewood neck; the latter being my #1.

If I was going to suggest a PRS for someone not knowing what they intended to play on it, the 513 is the obvious choice. I own several great guitars, but these are the two I always come back to in the end.
i didnt said anything about what i play thats coz im working as a full time musician and im often playing almost anything (exept jazz its rarely the case)
but now checking 513s and wow thats intense! thanks for the reply

i didnt said anything about what i play thats coz im working as a full time musician and im often playing almost anything (exept jazz its rarely the case)
but now checking 513s and wow thats intense! thanks for the reply
I'm sure no guitar does it for everyone, but this one does it for me. I actually got the idea to check it out when I saw the guitarist on American Idol was using one (2005 I think) and covering all kinds of tones very believably with it. My band also plays a lot of styles, classic rock and blues/country/Motown/pop... and the 513 does it all well. And it plays so nicely. Just a great instrument.

My avatar pic is actually my first 513, on stage opening for the Beach Boys in Galveston. A nice memory on a memorable guitar.

checking 513s now and wow thats intense! thanks for the reply
The Standard 22 and Standard 24 were...well...The Standard for PRS for a long time. They're no longer made in the primary factory unfortunately. I can't speak to how the S2 versions play, but the top carve on them is different so that alone would make me wary recommending them as the starting point for a foray in to the world of PRS. So I'll say that I think a used Standard 24 is sort of the perfect introduction to PRS. Find one with the standard neck carve and you've got everything that makes a PRS a PRS in one sweet package. They take well to different pickup changes, stay in tune, don't float with the weather changes, and just play so damn well.

The CE series is the other PRS. The bolt-on side. It's endured time with little in the way of changes which says a lot about how well it was designed from the get go. That's the other one I'd recommend checking out. Especially if you like maple necks.

Beyond that, the sky is the limit. If you like a shorter scale try an SC 245. If you like semi-hollow guitars, The Hollowbody II.

They make pretty guitars, but my love for PRS has always been for their plainer, every day guitars. My two main guitars are a '95 Standard 24 and a '98 Hollowbody Spruce (which is nearly full-hollow, only a block directly under the bridge). Indefatigable guitars. Just fantastic instruments that have never let me down.

ah thats why i couldnt find any standard models when i look at the local shop there was only custom's, S2 series, 513 and mccarty series in stock

Last edited:
The 30th Anniversary editions are amazeballs. I basically get a hard on every time I'm holding mine.

ah thats why i couldnt find any standart models when i look at the local shop there was only custom's, S2 series, 513 and mccarty series in stock

Maybe you're not finding them in searches because you're spelling it incorrectly - it's standard with a 'd' not a 't' at the end..

PRS has 4 main lines of guitars, listed from least to most expensive below:

SE: Korean imports and are the most affordable (generally < $1000 new)
S2: Relatively recently line (last few years) that are made in the USA, but with some cost cutting done to lower their price
Core: The "original" PRS line. These are the "normal" PRS models, for lack of a better term.
Private Stock: $$$$$$

Each line has several models, many of them very similar, just at different price points. I have played many models from all the lines except the S2 and they are all excellent quality. The current models can be found on their website's products page. A history of models can be found here. They have so many models now that it really doesn't make sense to talk about a "standard" PRS. They currently have a few different neck shapes, many different pickups and body shapes, scale lengths, etc. You've got to narrow down what you want other than just a PRS.

If it were me, I would start with deciding what kind of money I wanted to spend, and whether I wanted new or used. You get a whole lot more for your money buying used and they are great instruments. I currently have 2 CE24s and an NF3 (see my avatar). Both of these models, BTW, are no longer made. Like someone said above, find a place that has a big inventory and try out as many as you can.

Probably the best resource for getting info is on the PRS Forum. Lots of helpful people there who are every familiar with all models from the 80's until today.

Maybe you're not finding them in searches because you're spelling it incorrectly - it's standard with a 'd' not a 't' at the end..
oh sorry didnt noticed that. normally i know its with the ''d'' but dont know what happened this time :)

PRS has 4 main lines of guitars, listed from least to most expensive below:

SE: Korean imports and are the most affordable (generally < $1000 new)
S2: Relatively recently line (last few years) that are made in the USA, but with some cost cutting done to lower their price
Core: The "original" PRS line. These are the "normal" PRS models, for lack of a better term.
Private Stock: $$$$$$

Each line has several models, many of them very similar, just at different price points. I have played many models from all the lines except the S2 and they are all excellent quality. The current models can be found on their website's products page. A history of models can be found here. They have so many models now that it really doesn't make sense to talk about a "standard" PRS. They currently have a few different neck shapes, many different pickups and body shapes, scale lengths, etc. You've got to narrow down what you want other than just a PRS.

If it were me, I would start with deciding what kind of money I wanted to spend, and whether I wanted new or used. You get a whole lot more for your money buying used and they are great instruments. I currently have 2 CE24s and an NF3 (see my avatar). Both of these models, BTW, are no longer made. Like someone said above, find a place that has a big inventory and try out as many as you can.

Probably the best resource for getting info is on the PRS Forum. Lots of helpful people there who are every familiar with all models from the 80's until today.

thanks that helped a lot :)

I only recently joined the PRS bandwagon - Until a year ago, I played strats and Les Pauls. Then (almost by accident), I picked up a used Custom 22 soapbar (three p90 pickups), and then I was hooked. Not long after, I bought a used SingleCut Satin, and this is my absolute favorite guitar of all time.

The problem with PRS here in Denmark is that nobody stocks them, so they are only available through the second hand market, and I cannot go and try a selection of guitars. Otherwise, I would normally prefer to buy new guitars.

Right now, I am totally GASsing for the PRS 408 - Like the 513, it seems to do everything but in a sligthly simpler package/layout. I would love to try one, but none is available in Northern Europe, so I cannot try it anywhere. And that is a bit of a problem for me, because the 408 (as well as 513) uses special sized pickups that are not easily replaced. Of course, the whole attraction of 408/513 is their pickup switching system and versatility. But if you do not like that particular flavour of pickup sound, you are fucked, because replacement is just not feasible.

That brings me to another point about PRS guitars. I love both my PRSes to death, but I have never modified any of my other guitars, they were as I wanted them right out of the box. I replaced both pickups in the Singlecut Satin, one pickup, the tuners and the saddles on the Custom 22 soapbar, so it has been harder to make them play like I want - but the reward has been great.

I love the PRS 25" scale length. It just works for me. It is also great to have both my single coil (the soapbar) and my humbucker guitars with the same scale length and thus same string thickness. The feel of playing the two guitars is almost identical.

PRS has excellent quality control, even for their budget SE line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a PRS SE if you are tight on budget. You can't get more guitar for the money.
That being said: a custom 22 or 24 is basicly what people are talking about when they talk about a PRS. So that would be your "Les Paul Standard" (which is a sub-optimal comparison, really, because the new Standards just aren't even in the same league as the PRS customs, but, eh, you know what I mean).

Custom 24 or GTFO. That and the 22 are the archetypal PRS's, IMHO.
This exactly. I'm surprised no one said this before. The Custom 24 is the best selling PRS guitar. That's the flagship. That's the Gibson Les Paul Standard/Fender American Stratocaster type of model from PRS.

If you want to save money search for a CE24 or CE22 if 22 frets is enough. That's the budget option and I love those guitars as well. I have a Custom 24 as well which is more expensive but honestly the sound is pretty much the same between the two. Actually I think the CE sounds more like PRS and Custom 24 sounds more like a LP but that's just my opinion.

Sure there are many cool instruments in the PRS line but the "Custom 24" is the most sought after without a doubt.

Depending on which S2 you are looking at some of them are considerably cheaper than the Customs, I guess the question is what's your budget?

I just picked up a used 2014 Custom 22 for less than half the RRP, and its immaculate, I had been looking for a while but waiting for the right one at the right money was the best thing I did.

Beautiful guitars, craftsmanship is impecable.

IMO there are only a few PRS guitars, everything else is a variation of.

Custom 24 (with trem)
Custom 22 (with trem)
McCarty

I had a single cut, it's not a Les Paul, not different enough from my McCarty.

I've had my fare share, the only one I kept is the Custom 24. It has the best tone/feel. I really liked my CE.

For the money, I prefer Suhr.

Back
Top Bottom