PRS DGT - should I get it?

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
This one's for sale:
$_86.JPG

What do these generally go for and should I get one?
I've already got a 408, a 513 and a SC 245.

Yes.

I have an ‘08 Goldtop DGT, and love it. They are great workhorses, feel good even after playing for hours and, even with the stock .011 strings, is comfortable. Grissom did a great job specing it out.

I also have a 509 and a SC-245, and they have their own voices. The DGT sounds more like a late 50s Les Paul than the SC-245, probably because it’s based on the McCarty, and has a great tremolo, and is more ballsy than the 509 with different tapped coil sounds.

The only odd thing is the bridge pickup is wired to the front volume control, because Grissom usually uses the bridge pickup, but it doesn’t take long to get used to it, and it’s an easy swap to change if you insist.

I recommend sticking with the heavier strings because they fatten it, if you like Grissom’s sound and style. And go see him live if you ever get a chance.

Usually go for? That looks like a 10-top which bumps the price but it has the moon inlays which cost less. Check Reverb for the low and high prices.

Last edited:
The DGT is my main guitar, so I'm pretty biased. For me it's the ultimate guitar. Feels more like strat than a LP, but has that vintage double humbucker mahogany sound down pat. The treble bleed works perfectly when you roll the volume back on the neck pickup for a clean tone. The vibrato is one of the best I've ever played. The coil split is very very good (though it won't sound like a strat exactly).

Did I mention I love this guitar?

Btw, the stock strings are .11's, not .12's. I play it with 11's in Eb tuning, and it's a breeze to play with those huge frets that are on there.

The only odd thing is the bridge pickup is wired to the front volume control, because Grissom usually uses the bridge pickup, but it doesn’t take long to get used to it, and it’s an easy swap to change if you insist.

I like these because I like volumes on both pickups. Don’t own one but have a singlecut trem with 2 knobs both volumes. The bridge vol is the front like the DG. I have a pull cut for tone. You miss a lot of possible tones with single volumes. I have played the DG and they’re sweet. PRS makes great guitars.

I like these because I like volumes on both pickups. Don’t own one but have a singlecut trem with 2 knobs both volumes. The bridge vol is the front like the DG. I have a pull cut for tone. You miss a lot of possible tones with single volumes. I have played the DG and they’re sweet. PRS makes great guitars.
I have converted a few 3-knob 2-pickup guitars over to volume/blend/tone to good effect.

With a 3-way lever switch (like a Tele), it's stone simple to do. With a 3-way toggle (like a Gibbo), you need to upgrade the switch to get the capability.

This allows me to have the blend knob only active in the middle switch position, and to pre-set the blend so it hits the desired tone when switching to both pickups....

Basically an original McCarty with 6100 and a trem ,what's not to like? get it.
And a little thinner body for comfort, and to change the voice a little, with a neck that's exclusive to that model. And different pickups, again exclusive to that model.

The frets are big and help tame the string gauge it's designed for.

Last edited:
If it's a slimmer body than mccarty, does that put it between custom and mccarty or at custom size?

DGT is one model I havent tried. I find prs trems comfy, but since I dont use trems I generally avoid them.

If it's a slimmer body than mccarty, does that put it between custom and mccarty or at custom size?

DGT is one model I havent tried. I find prs trems comfy, but since I dont use trems I generally avoid them.
I haven’t ever tried a McCarty as I was trying to get away from extra weight. I’d say it’s its own custom size.

The DGT is thinner, and weighs less as a result, than the McCarty. Remember, the McCarty is designed as an early Les Paul, but the DGT is somewhere between an early Les Paul and, with the pickups tapped, like a late 50s Tele, which then crosses into Strat territory.

It’s hard to describe but when you have it and play it, it crosses all the boundaries. It’s a really fun guitar.

I had mine out today at a jam, and it felt so right.

Back
Top Bottom