PRS DG30 (Amp Model Project)?

It is an attitude and vibe and play rhythm hard as hell.
Grissom is actually a little more delicate than ZZ Top or SRV in my opinion who were/are more balls out.
Definitely. Grissom finesses the sound, even when he is playing loud. He’s using the tone control, and adjusting the volume with his picking or with the volume knob, knowing that the treble bleed is changing the high-end response hitting the amp.

I got to see two of his sets at the Saxon Pub on successive weeks … we actually extended our trip a week so we could go back for the second time. He’s definitely worth making the trip to see.

The YouTube videos are a great example of his sound and skill. This is my favorite single video, Grissom starts at 3:36 into the video …

Yup. That's why I personally gravitate towards DG's style...proficient, but restrained...you can see it in his stage presence and character...both ZZ & SRV exuded a lot of showmanship...DG prefers subtlety over form or popularity factor...gotta respect that in a guy...
LOL. Grissom played arenas for years with Mellencamp, and then Storyville which was SRV's old double trouble guys, and Dixie Chicks, and the Allman Bros.
You don't get too much more more popular than that.
They all paid their dues and did what they needed to pay the bills.

All the great artists out of Texas over the years was and is amazing.

And one little tidbit about jazz and SRV, one of his favorite guitarists was Kenny Burrell.

Heh heh heh, he said “Storyville”!

Milford Milligan, what a voice!

I did not know that Storyville partially consisted of SRV's backing band. That's a sure testament to David's provenance in Austin. Anyone know who the accompanying guitarist to DG is?
Oh, you missed Grissom playing with Joe Ely.

An old moderator from several forum incarnations back introduced me to both Storyville and Joe Ely, but I'd forgotten the reason why. Now I recall...it was DG of which the moderator was a fan...

I've seen Grissom over a really wide span of time from 80's with Joe Ely through more recent Saxon Pub days. I heard him with Storyville playing the Marshall rig that was so loud that they couldn't really put him in the PA, so you had to find the perfect spot to balance all the sounds. I heard him with a DC30 with Ely early 2000's (I think). The DC30 was the only time I felt like I wasn't quite getting the full impact of what he does. Could've been PA, miking, mood. I think the DG30 he uses now sounds fantastic without completely blowing a room out. It's a great combination of clean and tight with a little hair on the edge and he's fantastic at using volume/tone, fingers/pick and various pedals to get all sorts of colors out of his rig. One of my favorite blues/rock guitarists for years who inspired me to get my first PRS.

Back
Top Bottom