PRS Custom 24 - Should I buy?

bstoner

Inspired
Hello All,

I have an opportunity to buy this PRS Custom 24 for 1k. Looks to be in perfect condition and comes with case.

I'm not crazy about the gold hardware or it being red for that matter but it is really nice to play.

I do not know much about PRS but they seem to get great reviews from everyone on this forum.

Check out the pic and let me know.

thanks

Hello All,

I have an opportunity to buy this PRS Custom 24 for 1k. Looks to be in perfect condition and comes with case.

I'm not crazy about the gold hardware or it being red for that matter but it is really nice to play.

I do not know much about PRS but they seem to get great reviews from everyone on this forum.

Check out the pic and let me know.

thanks

Seems like a killer deal to me. What year is it?

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like i need to make a purchase :)

Are the stock pickups in the custom 24's any good or should i replace them?

Pickup selector knob is a bit odd. I am more used to a toggle.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like i need to make a purchase :)

Are the stock pickups in the custom 24's any good or should i replace them?

Pickup selector knob is a bit odd. I am more used to a toggle.
The stock pickups are killer and the pickup selector is actually very easy to get used to.

I cant stand the rotary knob PRS makes a push pull toggle drop in replacement for it around $80. A CU24 for 1K is a great deal if you already havent grab it now!

Have you actually played it yourself? One thing to watch out for: when someone is selling a guitar at what appears to be a ridiculously low price, you have to wonder what might be wrong with it. The prettiest guitar in the world is no bargain if the neck has a twist.

If you are not crazy about the color of the guitar or the gold hardware you can wait it out and find one that you are crazy about. There are plenty of "steals" out there, and you can find one that fits all of your preferences.

That's a great deal on a Custom. If it fits like a glove, I'd buy it. I don't give much thought to the colour of my guitars -- I can't seem 'em when I'm playing them. But if it didn't fit well, I'd stay away.

Have you actually played it yourself? One thing to watch out for: when someone is selling a guitar at what appears to be a ridiculously low price, you have to wonder what might be wrong with it. The prettiest guitar in the world is no bargain if the neck has a twist.

Totally agree. Apologies in advance but something truly doesn't seem right about this...

Save your hard earned scratch and get something you truly like, and yes that includes the color and finish! Having a guitar that not only plays and sounds well but also appeals to you visually can greatly contribute to your motivation to play and practice. You might not see when it you play (silly reasoning) but you will be more inspired to pick it up and play it. There is no need to settle for something. You worked hard for your cash! I know I would not fork out a grand for something I did not truly like.

Yeah the neck looks Rosewood, or something at least out of the ordinary (we're talking the headstock here).

The reason it's a no-brainer, is b/c as long as there's nothing nefarious going on, you can turn it for a profit if you don't like it.

Thanks for the replies.

I am now the proud owner of a PRS Custom 24 :)

it plays really nice, but the split coil position seems to make it a bit to thin sounding.

pretty sure i could never get used to the pickup select rotary knob.

sounds awesome through my marshall 4x12 cab and the Friedman BE. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom