PRS Custom 24 owners - need pup advice

I just ordered a S2 Standard 24 from Guitar Center, they were on sale for $650 and I always wanted to try a PRS. I want to upgrade the electronics and get some BKP pickups. Anyone know where I can purchase the higher quality USA PRS electronics? Also what BKPs would work nicely in a all Mahogany PRS?

upload_2016-10-22_14-2-14.png

Anyone know where I can purchase the higher quality USA PRS electronics?
You can buy direct from PRS: http://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts

Or go with an aftermarket setup like from some place like RS Guitarworks. I have an RS Guitarworks 3-way + push-pull setup in my Standard 24 and it's decent. Little overpriced for what it is though.

Also what BKPs would work nicely in a all Mahogany PRS?
See my post above for one suggestion if you want a more modern, high output pickup. You want pickups with a little more high end output in them. The all mahogany PRSi are dark guitars by nature.

I have a PRS SE 24 AND a Torero (both Floyd's). Even before I bought or knew about the Torero a few months ago, I had installed a pair of EMG 81/85's on my SE24, and I love 'em! Then I found the Torero, which is marginally different from the SE 24 - and comes from PRS with the on the EMG 81/85 setup. Couldn't be happier. I see a lot of people pissing all over EMG PUPS, but I have nothing but great things to say about em. I love the crunchy sound of a classic EMG 81! Perfect for anything, but insane for shredding!
Here's the Torero what I bought, pretty identical to the grey quilt top SE 24 I got 2 years ago:

lg_956f9cde997e7d41b5daf086205bab36.jpg

I know it sounds old-skool... but I liked a JB in my CU22 a lot. I now have a Custom-5 in it...which I like even more...

And I'm not the biggest JB fan..it just punched in that guitar.

Shoot an email to the guys at bare knuckle

^ This.

My son bought a Misha Mansoor Jackson that came with BK Juggernaut pickups and we were gobsmacked at how amazing they sound. So much so, he bought another set for his latest guitar (a Strandberg) and they sound just as good in that one too.

The company make a good range of pickups and are super helpful - I'm sure if you got in touch with them and explained what you're looking for, they'd help you with the decision. I'm seriously contemplating taking the Hetfield EMGs out of my Cu22...

Not cheap, but worth every penny, I'd say - keep us posted on your decision and progress!

There's a few classic aftermarket pickups which are ten-a-penny (ubiquitous).

You may in particular wanna try DiMarzio's Super Distortion and Tone Zone pickups for exactly the fix you describe.

Last edited:
I have had about 7 or 8 PRS guitars and have had the CU24 with HFS and Bass pickups.

PRS has its own thing going. You can get close to an LP sound with more vintage woody PAF tone out of a DGT, a SC 58, or the new 594.
That video sounded awful to be honest.
The Cu24 is a setneck version of the CE24.
They are superstrats really.
You either like them or not.

I would sell it and if you want an LP tone-get a used R8.
Pickups might get you closer, but the CU24 lacks low end. It is more Fenderish than Gibson IMO.
Dunno what you have in the PRS. Resale on them is always rough.

I have a DGT just so you know I am not anti-PRS. Love it.
Thick woody vintage tone out the as$, but can sound like a Tele or Strat when split.
In fact I got rid of a nice Strat and Tele. The DGT plays and sounds better IMO.

Good luck in your search.

...i want it sound just as woody as my LP if possible...

I just ordered a S2 Standard 24 from Guitar Center, they were on sale for $650 and I always wanted to try a PRS. I want to upgrade the electronics and get some BKP pickups. Anyone know where I can purchase the higher quality USA PRS electronics?

An S2 Standard 24 is made in Maryland. However, the electronics might differ slightly or not at all. See https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq_s2.html.

I have had about 7 or 8 PRS guitars and have had the CU24 with HFS and Bass pickups.

PRS has its own thing going. You can get close to an LP sound with more vintage woody PAF tone out of a DGT, a SC 58, or the new 594.
That video sounded awful to be honest.
The Cu24 is a setneck version of the CE24.
They are superstrats really.
You either like them or not.

I would sell it and if you want an LP tone-get a used R8.
Pickups might get you closer, but the CU24 lacks low end. It is more Fenderish than Gibson IMO.
Dunno what you have in the PRS. Resale on them is always rough.

I have a DGT just so you know I am not anti-PRS. Love it.

Thick woody vintage tone out the as$, but can sound like a Tele or Strat when split.
In fact I got rid of a nice Strat and Tele. The DGT plays and sounds better IMO.

Good luck in your search.

To the OP: I'm with Lkdog here. If you want the PRS version of a '59 Standard LP, buy a DGT. Fabulous instrument, sounds awesome IMHO.

However, if you really want a great LP sound, decide how fat you want the neck to be and get a used R7, R8, R9, or R0.

I have a few PRS and LP reissues - they are different guitars and serve different needs.

If you don't want to swap guitars - I would think 57/08 or 59/09 pickups would get you closer. I think 59/09s are harder to come by; at one point, if you wanted them, you had to send your guitar to the PRS PTC to have them installed (too much ordering pups and bidding them up on eBay).

Finally, I would suggest posting on the PRS Guitars forum - some experienced and helpful people there: http://forums.prsguitars.com

Dave

Before you commit to major purchases or guitar surgery, have you adjusted the PUP height? If it's thin it might be set a bit too low for your setup, both rig and string wise.

I have 2 Cu24 with Bareknuckle Pickups, one with an Abraxas bridge / VHII neck and an other one with Holydiver bridge / Emerald neck.
(Holydiver bridge / VHII neck also works incredibly well)
Both sets works really great with the Cu24 contruction, are more clear and dynamics that any PRS p/up I've tried and splits exceptionally as well, so a good match for the 5-way switch (be sure to ask for a reversed magnet in the neck pickup to work with the original 5-way configuration)

I've heard many forum members rave about these pups, I'll shoot over an email. Thanks
I have a CU22 and an SC245, both now have Bareknuckle Rebel Yell matched sets in them, I cannot tell you how good these are. They will literally cover anything. The clincher for me was at a gig with regular followers. One guy who also plays asked what i had done to make such a difference to my tone. Simple it was the pick-ups, didn't change a thing on any of my patches immediately, just threw the pick-ups in and played. I have made adjustments since, but not much.

There's a few classic aftermarket pickups which are ten-a-penny (ubiquitous).

You may in particular wanna try DiMarzio's Super Distortion and Tone Zone pickups for exactly the fix you describe.

I have Tone Zones in two of my guitars presently, I wanted to step away from them and try a different flavor. I LOVE TZ's but want to try something new.

An S2 Standard 24 is made in Maryland. However, the electronics might differ slightly or not at all. See https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq_s2.html.

To the OP: I'm with Lkdog here. If you want the PRS version of a '59 Standard LP, buy a DGT. Fabulous instrument, sounds awesome IMHO.

However, if you really want a great LP sound, decide how fat you want the neck to be and get a used R7, R8, R9, or R0.

I have a few PRS and LP reissues - they are different guitars and serve different needs.

If you don't want to swap guitars - I would think 57/08 or 59/09 pickups would get you closer. I think 59/09s are harder to come by; at one point, if you wanted them, you had to send your guitar to the PRS PTC to have them installed (too much ordering pups and bidding them up on eBay).

Finally, I would suggest posting on the PRS Guitars forum - some experienced and helpful people there: http://forums.prsguitars.com

Dave

Thank you for all the information. I already have a Joe Perry LP with a fixed bridge that has an unbelievably woody, violin tone. My PRS, unplugged, has amazing acoustical resonance that you can feel throughout the neck and body without the need for amplification. It has the qualities I desire, it's now a matter of pickup selection in order to coax it out.

Just to be clear, I don't want my PRS to sound like my LP, I want my PRS to sound "woody" as it does while unplugged.

Actually, for the most part, when I audition a potential new guitar purchase, it's very rare for me to plug it into an amplifier and play it. If it doesn't have spank, sparkly, and acoustic resonance in it's raw form, no amount of electronics or amplification will make it sound better. This was the case with the new PRS. It has all of those wonderful things. :cool:

You could try out a tone match block for the pick ups. I've just recently been reading up on this and have not tried it yet but in theory it could help a bunch. Just like a normal tone match but will be the first block on the grid.

To everyone else who chimed in with their opinions:
Sorry for the delay, had a busy family weekend so no time to patrol the forum.

I just sent an email to the gents at BK describing what tone I'm after.

Was going to suggest BKPs as well. I used to have a set Holydiver's in my PSR Standard -- nicely voiced.

Those look interesting by the technical description. I was thinking them or the nail bombs. I think the clip you posted sounded damn good, still a tad too hot for your taste though? Were they sensitive to tweeter feedback? Those \m/ are VERY sensitive to loud volume levels. None of my other guitars protest at the same volume level as the \m/'s - I just don't like them at all.

^ This.

My son bought a Misha Mansoor Jackson that came with BK Juggernaut pickups and we were gobsmacked at how amazing they sound. So much so, he bought another set for his latest guitar (a Strandberg) and they sound just as good in that one too.

The company make a good range of pickups and are super helpful - I'm sure if you got in touch with them and explained what you're looking for, they'd help you with the decision. I'm seriously contemplating taking the Hetfield EMGs out of my Cu22...

Not cheap, but worth every penny, I'd say - keep us posted on your decision and progress!

Yeah, I think this is the way I'm going as well. I've been interested in them for a while, no time like the present to try something new!

Before you commit to major purchases or guitar surgery, have you adjusted the PUP height? If it's thin it might be set a bit too low for your setup, both rig and string wise.

Not saying my others guitars are correct (they are for me though), all pickup height, across all guitars is ~0.125" from the top of the pup to bottom of the low E - INCLUDING the PRS. It sounds loud but it lacks serious punch, if you know what I mean?

That video sounded awful to be honest....

The guy doing the demo did PRS no favors by his choice of playing. I'm glad I saw this video AFTER my purchase, otherwise I'd have never considered it. Unplugged, the resonance this guitar has is truly amazing. It has such sweet acoustic qualities which ring out clearly and loudly.

I'm 100% convinced it's the \m/ pups, they are not my cup of tea.

Those look interesting by the technical description. I was thinking them or the nail bombs. I think the clip you posted sounded damn good, still a tad too hot for your taste though? Were they sensitive to tweeter feedback? Those \m/ are VERY sensitive to loud volume levels. None of my other guitars protest at the same volume level as the \m/'s - I just don't like them at all.
No squeal issues. They feedback pretty nice. I'm a ride-the-volume player and I had to turn too much to get my main sounds to clean up with them. But they were voiced super sweet.

You've got me thinking about going back to them in my Standard now that I'm playing my Hollowbody most of the time...

No squeal issues. They feedback pretty nice. I'm a ride-the-volume player and I had to turn too much to get my main sounds to clean up with them. But they were voiced super sweet.

You've got me thinking about going back to them in my Standard now that I'm playing my Hollowbody most of the time...

That's good to know. I did an experiment with the SAME patch using the SAME volume through my 2 CLR's. The PRS was so susceptible to tweeter feedback that it's virtually unusable. Keep in mind one of my guitars is a "bone stock" Duesenberg Mike Campbell hollow body model and it performs just fine at the same loud, stage volume.

I just email BK, along with that awful video, and a description of my guitar tone preferences. Depending on their answer, I think I'm going to give them a shot. I've heard nothing but good things.

Thanks for posting a clip as well. Once I get this guitar in fighting shape, I'll post a before/after clip.

Not saying my others guitars are correct (they are for me though), all pickup height, across all guitars is ~0.125" from the top of the pup to bottom of the low E - INCLUDING the PRS. It sounds loud but it lacks serious punch, if you know what I mean?

Totally, get it now.

Back
Top Bottom