PRS Custom 24 owners - need pup advice

stink

Experienced
so I bought this gorgeous PRS custom 24. Sounds great when playing clean (it has a 5-way) but when I give some gas, the bridge pups IMHO sound thin and prickly. It came installed with \m/ pups and I want to swap them,out for something delivering a warmer, hot yet woody tone. I've seen the PRS 59/09's (never heard them) and have Dimarzio Tone Zones in my LP (which rocks BTW). Before I start parting with some Benjamins, does anyone have any advice on a different pup and why?

Here's a link to the demonstration video / audio prickly thin sound I'm talking about. This video is not "like" the guitar I bought, it IS the guitar I bought. He's playing through a Friedman BE to boot and it still sounds thin. I want it sound just as woody as my LP if possible.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
...i want it sound just as woody as my LP if possible...

Not possible. Not saying that you can't get it sound better. But if what I've quoted above is your tonal goal, you might as well sell it now.
-
Austin

Last edited:
Use a PRS McCarty neck and a PRS #6 bridge, its the most versatil combination i have encounter and its the one im currently using in my C24.

I have coil tap on both. This are the ones that get closes to the sound of my les paul and Strat.

21373357579_4e5e4c2967_h.jpg

Mine is an older one from 1994. I kept it stock HFS and standard bass. If anything the bridge is a little to dark for high gain rhythm stuff and I have to tame it a little, otherwise it's been pretty good for the sounds I use.

[QUOTE="Not possible. Not saying that you can't get it sound better. But if what I've quoted above is your tonal goal, you might as well sell it now. Austin[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, I have a Yingwie Strat with Duncan Hot rails in the bridge, a self made George Lynch "purple tiger" with Tone Zones, and a duesenberg Mike Campbell model with stock pups and they ALL get that "woody" sound, they just have their own character.

I'm not against buying/trying other PRS pups, they might work fine, but at $180 a pop, it's a tad expensive to keep experimenting.

Use a PRS McCarty neck and a PRS #6 bridge, its the most versatil combination i have encounter and its the one im currently using in my C24.

I have coil tap on both. This are the ones that get closes to the sound of my les paul and Strat.

21373357579_4e5e4c2967_h.jpg
Beauty! I think the #6 is similar to the HFS currently offered, sounds like a possible winner.

Mine is an older one from 1994. I kept it stock HFS and standard bass. If anything the bridge is a little to dark for high gain rhythm stuff and I have to tame it a little, otherwise it's been pretty good for the sounds I use.

I think I may give those a shot. I can always add a touch of brightness from some EQ. Thank you for your input!

Beauty! I think the #6 is similar to the HFS currently offered, sounds like a possible winner.

I kept my Vintage Bass and HFS for as long as i could stock in the guitar, but i needed versatility and quick change of PU's, so the 5 way selector had to go.

IME the #6 sound more articulated and more snappy, has that honk of a PAF. I didnt like the #6 neck and i didnt like the Mccarty bridge. I also had the#7's and didnt like em that much

I put Lollar Imperial Hi-Winds in my Cu24. It's freakin' magical!! Loved it so much I put Lollar Standard imperials in my PRS HB2.

I kept my Vintage Bass and HFS for as long as i could stock in the guitar, but i needed versatility and quick change of PU's, so the 5 way selector had to go.

IME the #6 sound more articulated and more snappy, has that honk of a PAF. I didnt like the #6 neck and i didnt like the Mccarty bridge. I also had the#7's and didnt like em that much

Yes, the honk, vowel, woody tone is what I crave.

I absolutely love the clean tones from the CU24 but as mentioned, it could use some help in the "thickness" department. I was kinda surprised actually, they are pretty hot pups, just not ballsy enough.

Have you spoken to PRS about their 85/15's, or I run a P24 artist with 57/08's... I think they also still sell HFS, however I haven't checked their pickup section on their website for a while. I think it might be worth a phone call.

Let us know what you decide. I have a simular guitar but with ebony fretboard. I have installed a bigger brass block in the Floyd Rose and I'm looking for a more organic and fuller sound than the \m/. I agree on your description of those pickups.

I currently have a set of Illuminators in the mail that I've planned to put in my '90 RG550, and might try those in the C24 Floyd Rose if I like those in the Ibanez.

...BTW, I used to have a C24 with 59/09. Those were completely different than the \m/. Didn't like the 59/09 though... I missed clarity and "character" in those. They were a bit sterile and uninspiring for me. That guitar had the regular rosewood fretboard and standard PRS tremolo.

Shoot an email to the guys at bare knuckle
Was going to suggest BKPs as well. I used to have a set Holydiver's in my PSR Standard -- nicely voiced.

I found them too hot and changed out for a custom set that were found for me by JS Moore. I kind of want to go back to BKPs...like to try a set of Mules or Riff Raffs in it now.

They looked really snazzy with the brushed covers too.

IMG_2187.jpg

Lollars are an excellent pup. Also, you might check out Duncan Antiquity. Both pups sound great. Clean up well, and really dig in when pushed.

Back
Top Bottom