PRS body repair work?

...take it as it is except it starts to peel off.
Looking at the picture of the damage, it may be in danger of peeling off now.

Look at the right-hand side of the exposed wood. The fracture in the finish is clean and complete. It goes down to the wood and then stops. The missing piece of finish has fallen away, leaving the wood almost completely intact. This suggests that the finish may be poorly adhered to the wood. Normally, when a chunk of poly comes off like that, it takes some wood with it.

If it were my guitar, I'd repair it before it has a chance to get worse.

To answer the OP's question: yes, this repair can be done. The entire area of damage is a uniform black, which is about as easy as color matching gets. The damaged area has a compound crown. The blending of that shape depends on the skill of the person doing the work. But a decent shop can make it better than it is now.

Last edited:
Pretty easy fix but it will be visible because the paint won't blend. You could spray the whole back to hide it completely but I wouldn't because nobody will be able to tell without a close up look under good light.

That is unfortunate.

Honestly unless the damage gets larger, most shops should be telling you to save your money. Yes it sucks but is the $500+ worth it for what most would consider light damage? At $1000 for the work you can just get a used CE and have two PRS.
I don't know about that. I would consider that quite major.

I don't know about that. I would consider that quite major.
Major would be more the size of a handprint or something. This is “it fell off the stand” not “it fell off a 4ft high stage” (which happened to me with my first decent guitar).

Also I left out that $500 being cdn - $300usd for a proper job seems about right. My fault.

Dont get a repair unless it starts getting worse. And dont force it to get worse lol.

Major would be more the size of a handprint or something. This is “it fell off the stand” not “it fell off a 4ft high stage” (which happened to me with my first decent guitar).

Also I left out that $500 being cdn - $300usd for a proper job seems about right. My fault.

Dont get a repair unless it starts getting worse. And dont force it to get worse lol.
A guitar with finish damage the size of a hand, would be impossible to sell. OPs guitar is bad enough, and would put a serious dent (no pun intended) in the value on the used market, unless it's fixed.

IMHO etc.

A guitar with finish damage the size of a hand, would be impossible to sell. OPs guitar is bad enough, and would put a serious dent (no pun intended) in the value on the used market, unless it's fixed.

IMHO etc.
Not impossible at all. If its a $300 repair take $300 off what you expect to get. Not everyone is afraid to buy a guitar missing some paint.

Sorry to see that. In the PRS world, that is not "light" damage. The good news is that it is a black back guitar. It will be easier to blend that in and make it harder to see where it was patched. It won't be completely invisible but you will probably have to get it in the right light at the right angle to see it. Part of that depends on what finish is on the guitar. You should be able to figure that out based on the year it was made. To get it done right, it may cost a bit more than most would expect though.

The PTC would be my first choice. They will probably give you options for repairing it all the way up to a complete refinish. The good news there is having the repair done by the manufacturer will help to not lose as much value. It can't hurt to contact them and send them a picture. They can probably give you some options and rough prices based on that.

PTC will charge $1000-$1500. Pretty sure they are 1k to get a guitar in the door. I wouldnt.

I maintain that is not a big repair. Buckle rash leaves a larger mark than that.

If it was me I'd play it.

It's a guitar, not a museum piece, and probably a pretty nice one.

If you're ever looking to sell it, maybe get some repair estimates then. But if it's like a house, fixing it up might make you feel more confident as a seller, but you're unlikely to increase the selling price by as much as the cost of the repair.

Some people, me included, stay on the lookout for great instruments selling for less because they're cosmetically impaired. We have a wonderful Steinway we bought from a dealer before he did the refinish he planned for it, saving thousands.

I look at it as a beauty mark in honor of the kids. You could keep it as is like a sweet reminder of the kids at that age, like a photograph. I'm prone to hack the shit out of my guitars, doing the most haphazard mods, so my perspective might be different. 🙂

Unfortunate for sure. That kind of stuff happens when you raise kids. It’s now an honest relic. Unless it starts flaking I’d sharpie it and live with it. Depends on the repair cost of course, and whether or not it’s a keeper. Luckily it’s on the back. Gotta give your kids some credit for that.

PRS need to do a Custom Shop Relic dept ? seriously though, if funds are tights'm sure car paint would cover a multitude of sins, its the thickening/filling up thats a pain, smaller ones can be successfully patched with Nail varnish

That guitar sounds very damn good. I have head it live several times as well as the recordings. That’s honest relic there.

I listened to demos and I agree. Hard to justify that kind of cash though for a guitar…at least for me.

Thank you all for the helpful and humorous comments. “I know you’re upset and all your friends have cars, but they didn’t break their daddy’s guitar 12 years ago.” For giggiles, I did contact PTC to get a price, but they’re not even accepting non-warranty work at the time due to their backlog. Same with a local well-regarded luthier. I think I’ll just monitor for now and make sure it doesn’t get worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom