PRS body repair work?

walnutzz

Inspired
Sadly, I just discovered a chunk of my PRS Custom 24 10-Top missing. It is in otherwise beautiful condition. Are there "reasonable" repair shops that do this kind of work and can restore it close to original? Thanks. In the meantime, I'll be in the interrogation room with my children :mad:

IMG_6651 - Copy.jpg

Any competent guitar luthier/builder should be able to repair that. Bear in mind, you may likely have witness lines where the new and old finishes meet.

With any luthier for builder, ask for references or to see examples of their repair work before entrusting them with your guitar.

That is unfortunate.

Honestly unless the damage gets larger, most shops should be telling you to save your money. Yes it sucks but is the $500+ worth it for what most would consider light damage? At $1000 for the work you can just get a used CE and have two PRS.

Had a black Starbody Charvel that got some bad gashes in it. Got some white electrical tape and turned it into a suedo Van Halen stripped guitar to cover the damage. For the early 80's it was a quick fix that actually looked pretty custom... Your gash is pretty extreme though... good luck on what ever you decide..

That is unfortunate.

Honestly unless the damage gets larger, most shops should be telling you to save your money. Yes it sucks but is the $500+ worth it for what most would consider light damage? At $1000 for the work you can just get a used CE and have two PRS.
I tend to agree, save the repair for later… unless the existing finish begins flaking off. If it’s fairly stable, wait and if you ever decide to sell it then get it repaired.

And maybe consider it like the guitar has some street cred, and make that kid take lessons because eventually they might be a great player and will cherish that guitar.

Ouch... That looks like it was dragged across concrete. No helpful suggestions, but you have my sympathy!

Geez lol. I had a gash like that on a guitar years ago when a piece of rack gear that was left on the desk outside of the rack took a dive.

A quality local luthier should be able to get you fixed up for much less than the PRS PTC. But if it's that important to you they'll make it as good as new.

Leave it for guilt-trip material to use later in their lives. In the meantime, you have plenty of 'do your chores' chits to spend.

All in good fun of course!! Never hold anything over your kid's heads.

That is unfortunate.

$500 for that repair would be outrageously high.

I see a bright future for your children. Custom shop relic department.:)
Sorry to hear of the damage, but I gotta admire @RDeraz's positive outlook of the kids. TBH, I'm not sure how I might have reacted to seeing this if it were my guitar. I'll spare you the pic of the young daughter with the screwdriver and the car. Srsly, hope things will improve...

It hurts to see this but I'm with the others who replied before: take it as it is except it starts to peel off. It will be a constant lesson for the one who did this ;)

Back
Top Bottom