PRS 58/15 S question please.

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, being the Stratman, so to speak I do not have much experience with these pickups except of course what I hear in videos.
I really do not care for them. Thy break up way to easy and rolling off the volume they do NOT clean up real well (or quickly enough)
I was looking at the 57/08's at Sweetwater. Any opinions. BTW, I love the guitar, just not crazy abort the pups. Don't play any metal, but I do play from Blues to classic rock...........and most in between. Thanks folks

I have heard that about often with the 58/08 pickups. Also heard people say the 57 is the same way.

Yes I have . First went with recommendations from the PRS site. Then went lower. Then went higher. They just have no "life" so to speak.

Last edited:
Dragon IIs sound like the Seymour Duncan 59s I replaced them with in a custom 22, for what it's worth.

IMO you don't need to spend funny money to find what works. Try 59s, try antiquities, try alnico 2 pros, try Gibson 57s, try dimarzio 36th Annis.

If nothing from the standards work, then I would look at winders in your area.

I was going to mention the Dragon II's but figured some one was going to chime in for that.

Dragon IIs sound like the Seymour Duncan 59s I replaced them with in a custom 22, for what it's worth.

IMO you don't need to spend funny money to find what works. Try 59s, try antiquities, try alnico 2 pros, try Gibson 57s, try dimarzio 36th Annis.

If nothing from the standards work, then I would look at winders in your area.

I have a set of Dragon IIs here if you’re looking at them. I find them too hot personally.

I am still looking at the 57/08's so far. I do want to keep the push pull splits operational also.
I sure appreciate all the suggestions. Of course, would love the LT's in the Core McCarty but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Just want re-iterate, I know nothing about HB's except what I hear in music videos, etc. etc. Single coils I could talk all day.
I also keep going back to that Phil McKnight video I posted where he compares my PRS with his core 594. The pickups are like night and day.

I'll just keep looking and listening and reading. Learn as much as I can.........Not like I can go out and party or anything. I live in Flu-rida.

I have the 2013 PRS DGT with the coil split option.

I am still looking at the 57/08's so far. I do want to keep the push pull splits operational also.
I sure appreciate all the suggestions. Of course, would love the LT's in the Core McCarty but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Just want re-iterate, I know nothing about HB's except what I hear in music videos, etc. etc. Single coils I could talk all day.
I also keep going back to that Phil McKnight video I posted where he compares my PRS with his core 594. The pickups are like night and day.
mine 2  (3).png

So, being the Stratman, so to speak I do not have much experience with these pickups except of course what I hear in videos.
I really do not care for them. Thy break up way to easy and rolling off the volume they do NOT clean up real well (or quickly enough)
I was looking at the 57/08's at Sweetwater. Any opinions. BTW, I love the guitar, just not crazy abort the pups. Don't play any metal, but I do play from Blues to classic rock...........and most in between. Thanks folks
I love the 59/09's

I have a set of Dragon IIs here if you’re looking at them. I find them too hot personally.

Imagine my shock when a pair of 59s were barely any different haha.

OP, anything 4-conductor can be split like what you have now.

Honestly try some Duncan's or the dimarzios I mentioned, if only to get a baseline most users have experience with.

a lot of people have issues with PRS pickups. Including myself.
Personally I hated the 57/08s I tried. It took me a long time but I love the 85/15 bridge pickup and it’s especially good for classic rock.
the neck pickup....not so much at all.
i currently have a Tremonti in my strat to turn it into something more like a Charvel. I was going to swap out the 85/15s in the PRS but I think I’ll keep them. If I do change them then it’ll be the bridge pickup first However the whole setup makes the PRS very good at a certain thing I don’t often do. Classic clean and classic rock. It would be a shame to spoil it.

In my CE22 with solid rosewood neck I've swapped the original pickups into a set of "ToneRider Rocksong". Although they're cheaper than most replacement PUs, I love them - both clean and with overdrive. They're 4-conductors, so I've installed two push-push-pots and now can chose between the normal serial wiring and parallel wiring (each PU). That gives me more - and still noiseless - sound options.

Back
Top Bottom