PRS 408

Check Vintage Rocker or PRS guitars official forum...plenty of posts. I just played one a couple weeks ago and almost bought it, but decided in favor of an R9 because I had been searching for an LP. However, the 408 was stunning and is still on my list.

Pickups are obviously not replacable, but sound great in the clips.

Does anyone know if the single coils are hum cancelling? I know they're using extra windings to match the humbucker levels, but they don't say if they're hum cancelling. Well implemented in any case.

They only cancel in the middle position. I have a 408 and a signature limited. Never bonded with a PRS in 20+years of trying to, until these two. Just great guitars. For a more LP guy, which I am, the binding and 3 way toggle of the sig lim might be more natural. The 408 is very cool on it's own though and I have a hard time deciding which one to pick up. Like the marketing says-no real volume drop when you switch between single or normal mode. Resale on the Sig Lim doesnt seem to be great. Or at least there is one guy somewhat local who is trying to sell a trans black one for well under 3K. Having been an addicted pickup swapper-it's a little odd to not even have the options. But maybe I conditioned myself with my Suhrs and the MM's before that-the triangle lef cutouts limit your options there. But-they sound killer so no need. The axe2 got rid of my amp/pedaloftheweek gas, and now the pickup gas is gone.

Sexy Sig Lim
185905-front-large_zpsb4d1c955.jpg

More vintage feeling 408.
194601-7_zpsfd59151f.jpg

Ya know, I answered with video knowledge. Playing with my little mini mesa an hour ago, there is a LITTLE hum in the middle when just one of the pups is in single. probably because uneven coils dont cancel evenly-if ya know whatta mean. I usually go with single neck, full bridge unless it's dire straits(middle both split) or a little blue on black(neck full). I take hum for granted with the axe2 since it's never a problem with the patches set the way I have them.

Here's the 408 I just got recently:

PRS%20408%20MT%20Black%20Gold%20Wrap.jpg

I've been a long time custom 22 player. The 408 is obviously the same body shape and neck shape but the different pickups and different pickup selection system make it feel like a very different guitar.

The pure humbucker sounds are my favorite out of all the PRS guitars I've played (mainly custom 22's, 24's, single cuts). Bridge cuts very nicely and is fat and punchy without being muddy. Neck has a LOT of clarity for a neck humbucker. The guitar still has that signature PRS sweet mid-range kind of sound but it never gets overly honky like my other guitar does at times.

The single coil sounds are much beefier than the coil tap sounds from my 22 (as I was expecting and hoping). It's not a strat sound though...more output and more lows and low mids. I love how the selector switch options allow me to blend a single coil neck with a bridge humbucker or vice versa. That's not feasible on my custom 22 because that is a three way switch with a single coil tap.

Can't wait to play my first gig with it tomorrow night.

Thanks so much for all your responses. As always, greatly appreciated. I have several PRS guitars, and really enjoy each one. Any thoughts on the thin neck 408 vs regular neck 408?

I went with the Pattern Thin neck because I was used to the "Wide Thin" neck on my older Custom 22. They're basically the same shape as far as I can tell.

I also like their regular necks though. You can't go wrong either way.

Yeah, I'm lovin them. I like a fatter neck, they are just right for me. I can't get over how fat the guitar sounds-and how light it is. 7lbs 5oz on my SL.

I have wide thin, wide fat, pattern regular, Santana, and 513 necks. Only one that irritates me is the 513, which seems really deep (and the Santana neck is BIG). I've thought about sending it to the PTC to be shaved, but then I decide maybe I can adapt, and so I put it off.

It's really a question, though, of what neck YOU prefer.

I have wide thin, wide fat, pattern regular, Santana, and 513 necks. Only one that irritates me is the 513, which seems really deep (and the Santana neck is BIG). I've thought about sending it to the PTC to be shaved, but then I decide maybe I can adapt, and so I put it off.

It's really a question, though, of what neck YOU prefer.
It has been awhile since the 513 has had its own neck carve. The 513 neck has been a pattern regular carve since the 25th Anniversary models. Sell that one and get another.

Last edited:
For me I think it's always been about the 12" radius that PRS uses. I've owned a few PRS guitars, single cut wide fat, Custom 22 wide thin, and 2007 experience CU 24 pattern regular. They all were very easy for me to get used to playing. Even though I like the Rasmus I have now the 16" radius coupled with the neck carve seems a little workie for me. I feel like I'm a little more clumsy on the fret board when I play.

For me I think it's always been about the 12" radius that PRS uses. I've owned a few PRS guitars, single cut wide fat, Custom 22 wide thin, and 2007 experience CU 24 pattern regular. They all were very easy for me to get used to playing. Even though I like the Rasmus I have now the 16" radius coupled with the neck carve seems a little workie for me. I feel like I'm a little more clumsy on the fret board when I play.

I think they're 10", except for the Santana, which is 11 1/2". See PRS Customer Support Center | Neck Profiles.

I went with the Pattern Thin neck because I was used to the "Wide Thin" neck on my older Custom 22. They're basically the same shape as far as I can tell.

I also like their regular necks though. You can't go wrong either way.

Adam, I have a 1990 Custom and a Hollowbody II. Am I correct to assume that the neck on the 408 would be similar to the old 1990 Custom? Frustrating not having any nearby to try out.

Last edited:
Between a Hollowbody and 1990 Custom, the 408 is closer to the hollowbody, only less of a baseball bat. I had a 1987 Standard once, and I have several HB1's and a Signature LTD. My Signature is one of my most comfy wide necks. The pattern neck is a touch shallower than the old wide fats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom