Proximity

edo

Power User
Vendor
Is proximity captured in the IR (mic + DI method)? I've been experimenting with some it capturing, but the ir coming out of the process has much less bass than the actual recording of the same mic'd amp.

Whatever the mic hears is captured include any effect of its proximity to the source.

Record a clip with the IR, play back the recording, and compare that with your original recording.

Whatever the mic hears is captured include any effect of its proximity to the source.

Record a clip with the IR, play back the recording, and compare that with your original recording.
I already did, I did 2 clips with the same mic in 2 different positions: one ir sounds identical, the other one lacks mass compared to the real amp recording. What could I be doing wrong?

I already did, I did 2 clips with the same mic in 2 different positions: one ir sounds identical, the other one lacks mass compared to the real amp recording. What could I be doing wrong?
Help me understand. You made two IRs. When you record with one of those IRs and play it back, it sounds just like your recording of the amp. When you record the other IR and play it back, it sounds different from the recording of the amp. Is that correct?

Help me understand. You made two IRs. When you record with one of those IRs and play it back, it sounds just like your recording of the amp. When you record the other IR and play it back, it sounds different from the recording of the amp. Is that correct?

Exactly. Which is awkward as it's the same mic on the same amp in the same ir capture session

Keep in mind that the max length of an IR is short (milliseconds) which does not leave enough time for the "full" proximity effect in the IR. In other words part of the sound you're hearing in your recording is the sound bouncing off of any surfaces in that space. That takes more time than the IR has to capture.

Try using a close mic'd IR that you're happy with and then add the Proximity effect in the Axe's speaker page. You have to choose a Mic profile or "Null" in the Mic section to have access to the Proximity controls. Choose the "Null" mic type if you don't want to color your IR with another Mic profile. Add some room options from the "Room" page as well.

Reactions: edo
Keep in mind that the max length of an IR is short (milliseconds) which does not leave enough time for the "full" proximity effect in the IR. In other words part of the sound you're hearing in your recording is the sound bouncing off of any surfaces in that space. That takes more time than the IR has to capture.

Try using a close mic'd IR that you're happy with and then add the Proximity effect in the Axe's speaker page. You have to choose a Mic profile or "Null" in the Mic section to have access to the Proximity controls. Choose the "Null" mic type if you don't want to color your IR with another Mic profile. Add some room options from the "Room" page as well.

Yeah, I'm aware of the proximity parameter, I was just confused wether an ir capture does capture the actual mic proximity and in that case cab proximity parameter adds extra proximity on top if that - if this makes any sense! Anyways, thanks for the tip

Yeah, I'm aware of the proximity parameter, I was just confused wether an ir capture does capture the actual mic proximity and in that case cab proximity parameter adds extra proximity on top if that - if this makes any sense! Anyways, thanks for the tip
Yes. The Proximity parameter adds extra proximity effect to what was captured.

The proximity effect won't change with sideways movement.

Yeah, of course! I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I meant to say that I captured several ir's moving the mic left and right, always touching the grill, that's why I figured proximity would always be the same.. instead, the closer to the center, the more pronounced the proximity (aka bass)

Yeah, of course! I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I meant to say that I captured several ir's moving the mic left and right, always touching the grill, that's why I figured proximity would always be the same.. instead, the closer to the center, the more pronounced the proximity (aka bass)
There's more at play here. At the center of the speaker, the entire useful angle of the MV is exposed to direct sound from the speaker. At the edge of the speaker, only one side of the mic is exposed to direct speaker sound. That will affect how much proximity effect you get.

There's more at play here. At the center of the speaker, the entire useful angle of the MV is exposed to direct sound from the speaker. At the edge of the speaker, only one side of the mic is exposed to direct speaker sound. That will affect how much proximity effect you get.

Makes perfect sense. Although the recorded sound with the mic at edge of speaker still has more bass than the relative ir capture.. no big deal, I guess I'll just add some proximity from the cab block

Also, make sure you're comparing recorded sound to record sound. If you listen while playing, your guitar's acoustic tone is added to what you hear, and that will make your ears hear a brighter sound. It takes a surprising amount of volume to overcome your guitar's acoustic sound.

Back
Top Bottom