Proximity to other units in rack

The main rule is to NOT put it near the poweramp (if you are using one), because the electromagnetic field of the transformer could damage other units.

Woland said:
The main rule is to NOT put it near the poweramp (if you are using one), because the electromagnetic field of the transformer could damage other units.
How exactly would it damage other units?

Yes, please explain how it the amp might damage other gear. It'd be nice to have them in the same 3-4 space rack.
Thanks ,O

Hi guys,
That was something a world famous sound engineer (with a degree in physic) once told me, but is not such a big secret or discovery... nor this type of competence is needed;)
He told me that years ago when he saw a pic of a studio which had a lot of guitar heads stacked in the control room, near the computer & other electronics. The transformers have a bid magnetic field that could simply make the other units go "crazy".
There's no general rules about that. Did ever happened to you to have a greenesque spot on old CRT video? One of the causes it was often because of the proximity of a speaker (which has magnets).
This is why if you check in pro audio or every professional music service, the poweramps of the studio or PA are ALWAYS away from other units. Last thing is that a power amp need more ventilation as possible.
I hope it quite more clear now...
Regards

Woland said:
Hi guys,
That was something a world famous sound engineer (with a degree in physic) once told me, but is not such a big secret or discovery... nor this type of competence is needed;)
He told me that years ago when he saw a pic of a studio which had a lot of guitar heads stacked in the control room, near the computer & other electronics. The transformers have a bid magnetic field that could simply make the other units go "crazy".
First off, guitar heads, especially tube heads, are more susceptible to picking up noise from other gear especially computers and other electronics. Keeping them away from possible sources of EMI and RFI is about reducing noise and has nothing to do with avoiding potential damage to other pieces of gear.

There's no general rules about that. Did ever happened to you to have a greenesque spot on old CRT video? One of the causes it was often because of the proximity of a speaker (which has magnets).
I'm sorry but I'm confused. What do speaker magnets and CRT screens have to do with power amps and the Axe-FX? The magnetic field of a typical guitar or sound reinforcement speaker is significantly more powerful than anything a piece of gear can generate. We're talking mouses and elephants here.

This is why if you check in pro audio or every professional music service, the poweramps of the studio or PA are ALWAYS away from other units. Last thing is that a power amp need more ventilation as possible. I hope it quite more clear now...
There a lot of reasons why poweramps and other outboard gear are physically separated but it has nothing to do with magnetic fields damaging other gear.

All that being said, if I had a power amp for my Axe-FX rig, here's what I would do. If I was using a tube amp, I would leave an empty rack space in between it and the Axe-FX. Tube amps generate more heat, watt for watt, than solid state amps and heat is the #1 enemy of tubes (that and physical stress). If I was running a solid state amp, I might leave an empty space between it and the Axe-FX but if I didn't, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Whether I would or would not would depend on the size of the rack I wanted to use. To me, anything bigger than a 4 space rack isn't really "compact" any more but what you consider compact may be larger.

Don't put it in a rack with anything from Line6, Boss or Digitech as it likes to eat these for breakfast :D

As heat rises don't put the hot stuff in the bottom of the rack. Think convection, cool air drawn in at the bottom and hot air venting at the top. Most pro gear should be fairly EMC proof nowadays. It's a requirement by law.

OK. I'll have a 1U Furman Conditioner, 1U ART SLA-2 Power Amp and a 2U Axe FX Ultra.

I'll be using a 4 space SKB rack, so I'm thinking to put them in this order from top to bottom:

- ART SLA-2 Power Amp (at the top space)
- Furman Power Condition (2nd from top space)
- Axe FX Ultra (in the bottom two spaces)

But I'm wondering which unit will have the most heat and therefore should be at the top space location, and if the above order is OK...

Cheers

To keep people and other racks away from your rack; please display these all over your set up.

biohazard-symbol-logo-danger.jpg

radiation_warning_symbol_rusty_450.jpg

Ochanomizu said:
OK. I'll have a 1U Furman Conditioner, 1U ART SLA-2 Power Amp and a 2U Axe FX Ultra.

I'll be using a 4 space SKB rack, so I'm thinking to put them in this order from top to bottom:

- ART SLA-2 Power Amp (at the top space)
- Furman Power Condition (2nd from top space)
- Axe FX Ultra (in the bottom two spaces)

But I'm wondering which unit will have the most heat and therefore should be at the top space location, and if the above order is OK...

Cheers
I think that would be spot on, although I wouldn't worry too much as I wouldn't expect any of that gear to get particularly hot, you can always run it for a while and see how hot it gets. It's mostly tube amps that cause the problems.

I have wondered about this. My ultra is im my home studio and there it will stay. I have a 3U rack. So it's no problem putting my 1U Vocal FX unit on top of the axe? Just asking? I have never felt any heat from the ultra on top even after hours and hours of use.
Thanks

Stratman68 said:
I have wondered about this. My ultra is im my home studio and there it will stay. I have a 3U rack. So it's no problem putting my 1U Vocal FX unit on top of the axe? Just asking? I have never felt any heat from the ultra on top even after hours and hours of use.
Thanks
The interior of the Axe-FX is pretty open so the internal fan does a good job of moving air around. You're good to go.

Sorry if thats a bit off topic but today ive noticed that my tc 2290(2u unit) creates a hum when its close to my looper so i have to move it about 1 u down.

My thoughts are strongly towards the Axe Fx as im fed up with my current rig, the maintenance, time and money spend on it, its simply not worth!For the money i've paid for my tc 2290 i would probably get new Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom