Proximity effect values range compared to real life results

Chiguete

Experienced
I know that it all deppends on each IR but what do you guys think is an approximate range that the Proximity Effect value best represents normal micing situations? For example in a normal SM57 place 1 inch from the speaker in the edge of the center cone I would think that if I where to put 8 in the Proximity Effect value I would guess it will be way too much and you exagerate the bass boost you get in real life. So maybe 2-4? I'm just shooting from the top of my head btw.

I know that it all deppends on each IR but what do you guys think is an approximate range that the Proximity Effect value best represents normal micing situations? For example in a normal SM57 place 1 inch from the speaker in the edge of the center cone I would think that if I where to put 8 in the Proximity Effect value I would guess it will be way too much and you exagerate the bass boost you get in real life. So maybe 2-4? I'm just shooting from the top of my head btw.

Hi Chiguete,
When an IR is made, it captures the natural proximity of the mic on the cab. So if you want a truly authentic image of what the mic heard, just set your Cab Block high and low cuts to 20-20k and you’ve got the same sound as the mic on the speaker wherever the IR was made, but you can dial those back to taste in case the IR has more low end or top end than you want.

The Proximity knob in the Cab Block is just a simple bass boost, so setting it anywhere more than zero takes it away from “normal mic’ing situations.” As you move a mic further from the cab, you lose bass response, move it closer and you get more bass. At the end of the day, if you want a little more low end from your IR, go ahead and nudge up the Proximity on that bad boy until it sounds the way you want. With the Axe, there’s no wrong way to get a tone as long as you end up with the tone you want.

So if you want a truly authentic image of what the mic heard, just set your Cab Block high and low cuts to 20-20k and you’ve got the same sound as the mic on the speaker wherever the IR was made, but you can dial those back to taste in case the IR has more low end or top end than you want.

The Proximity knob in the Cab Block is just a simple bass boost, so setting it anywhere more than zero takes it away from “normal mic’ing situations.”
Thanks for the response. 👍

Back
Top Bottom