Proximity and low and high cut settings in cab block

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
What is the factory default setting for proximity in the cab block?

How do you guys prefer to set the level and frequency settings for proximity in the cab block?

How do you guys prefer to set the low and high cut in the cab block?

The default is irrelevant because the default mic is "None". TBH I rarely use it now. With the new Mic+DI UltraRes cabs I don't find it needed.

I can't remember the last time I used proximity. It had be when they introduced the null mic. But if I need to add oomph at the cab block I use the console pre's. I use pretty conservative cuts of 80 & 15K. If the amp is crazy at either end I'll compensate further from there.

The default is irrelevant because the default mic is "None". TBH I rarely use it now. With the new Mic+DI UltraRes cabs I don't find it needed.

Thanks.

Are Cab Packs 14 and 15 the only ones that use the Mic+DI?

Which factory cabs use the Mic+DI?

I’ve only bought Cab Packs 1 thru 6 so far.

I'm leaning less on proximity too. Instead I'm bumping up the low mids in the Amp block EQ (post) as needed.

I'm actually using proximity more than ever nowadays. It should be noted that I'm not using these new mic+DI Ir's. I find that proximity gives me what I am looking for when my initial impression of a cab is that it is "sterile" or lacking in low end. I almost always use the null mic, and set the proximity to taste.

I'm actually using proximity more than ever nowadays. It should be noted that I'm not using these new mic+DI Ir's. I find that proximity gives me what I am looking for when my initial impression of a cab is that it is "sterile" or lacking in low end. I almost always use the null mic, and set the proximity to taste.

I do the same in almost every preset I make, in my high gain metal tones.

Setting proximity to 2 or 3 makes my powered PA cabs sound and feel better. So far I've left the frequency on it's default setting of 120. I was wondering if anyone was using anything else. Lately I've been cutting the low at 80 and the high at 14,000. I'm still experimenting with it.

Setting proximity to 2 or 3 makes my powered PA cabs sound and feel better. So far I've left the frequency on it's default setting of 120. I was wondering if anyone was using anything else. Lately I've been cutting the low at 80 and the high at 14,000. I'm still experimenting with it.

Agreed -- I found a little prox with null mic helps with the sterility of a FRFR speaker/monitor. 2-3 works well when playing loud in a CLR, for example. For recording/mixing, prox may get in the way, depending on where you're doing cab cuts, and any post EQ. I tend to crank prox up a little higher when I'm just playing in my little project studio through my monitors. But I find that what I think sounds good when I'm just playing with myself (heh-heh, heh-heh) doesn't necessarily translate to live performance or recording.

I just find prox to be a nice tool -- no add'l blocks needed, the controls show up in Axe-Edit (unlike the channel strip preamp sims), and prox controls sit right there next to the cab high/low cut parameters which I use a lot these days.

Oh, and I'm setting the low end at least as high as 80Hz, sometimes much higher. I crank the high down to at least 8Khz for dirty tones. It seems to make the low-mid-high controls on the amp respond more like I want them to. I used to think that using the cab low/high cut was "cheating". Not any more.

I just find prox to be a nice tool -- no add'l blocks needed, the controls show up in Axe-Edit (unlike the channel strip preamp sims)...
The preamp controls show up in Axe-Edit, too.

I still use Null mic with proximity even with the new cab pack IR's.

Proximity of 5 is way too much for my presets though.

I dial in my preset using the basic tone stack controls as close as possible.

I add proximity last, at volume, to add desired weight to the live sound. I leave the frequency default and typically end up with 2-3 proximity level.

I am using Atomic CLR powered wedges.

I'm guessing that most people using powered PA cabs are using proximity and maybe lo and hi cut also, but people using real cabs don't need either. Is anyone using a frequency other than the default of 120 for proximity?

I'm guessing that most people using powered PA cabs are using proximity and maybe lo and hi cut also, but people using real cabs don't need either. Is anyone using a frequency other than the default of 120 for proximity?

Yeah, 123.47hz to boost the B note in tune :D Try it tuned to the nearest fundamental of your key :D

Back
Top Bottom