Protools 10 or Logic ?

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everyone, it's time for me too either upgrade my Protools 8 or get Logic ..
Looking for some Opinions or Recommendations ...
Thanks ...

IMO...
It depends on your intended usage. If you only want/need to record/edit/mix, and not much VI usage, PT10 should be a nice upgrade. Plus, you will go from LE to "PT10," which has more extras, and allows 3rd party I/O use. Since you appear to be on a Mac, then all should be well. Just check the DUC for OS and hardware issues.

Though I do not have a Mac desktop any longer, when I did, I owned Logic (ver 6-8), and ver8 was pretty cool. I preferred PT (pre-ver9) for quick recording/mixing tasks, but for composing.. Logic was a dream. There were some bugs that impacted my desired workflow, but they were (are?) obscure bugs that I found only one other even noticing. Plus, with Logic sitting at $199 for the full version now.. if you plan to stick with Mac, want to use VIs, and have some nice composing tools, my vote would be Logic. Otherwise, hit the DUC, maybe download the demo for PT10, ask questions, and then revisit your question.

PT can be such a finicky beast. The next major upgrade, supposedly, will finally include an update to 64-bit. And, a new plug-in type (already in place with PT10, but optional).

I'll echo what nikki said, It really comes down to what you want to do.

If you are into composing, then Logic is a great choice as it has an excellent library of built-in sounds at a killer price. If you already have a good library of sounds (eg. Native Instruments Kontakt, East West Goliath, etc) then go for Cubase as it is a similar but better composing platform (this comes from someone who recently switched after 12 years of using Logic). Logic can get grumpy when lots of virtual instruments are being used (and I have over 4TB worth of them).

If you are into recording primarily, the PT is hands-down the better option. I'm running both PT9HD and PT10 and PT10 is quite simply a great product. PT10HD is even better, but it's seriously pricey, and really only necessary if you are doing pro level recording with dozens of tracks and high-end hardware. (Our main recording platform is PT9HD on a HD3 rig - we'll move to PT10HD when we upgrade to the new HDX cards.)

I use both.
I tend to track 'real drums' in PT and do everything else in Logic these days.
For arrangements Logic is so much quicker and easier to navigate but a lot of that is being used to it.

5 years ago it was more weighted towards PT because that was what everyone else was using and it was better for editing.
Logic caught up both in terms of features and market share, at least in Europe.

Reaper is cheap, but compared to Logic it really feels amateurish and half-assed. It has some dialogs which I believe the developers haven't even tried to open on a Mac, otherwise they'd give them better default sizes. Logic is polished and pleasant to work with. Worth the current price for sure.

PT 10 has some awesome new features... Direct upload to soundcloud, and add to iTunes library. Clip gain, access to your Avid account through PT as well... There are many more features that are awesome and useable...

However, there are several outstanding issues using the Axe II and PT 9 and 10 on a Mac. Recent threads pertaining to these issues have indicated that the issue is actually with Apple and that they are 'working on it'.

PT 10 kicks arse... I can only hope to have these issues resolved some day soon. That being said, I can't honestly recommend PT to a fellow Axe II user due to the immense stress this setup has caused me in the last 4 months. It's a shame since I love my Axe II and PT. They just haven't been playing nicely together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget Samplitude. IMHO the best sounding, most powerful DAW in creation. More robust than Protools, more right-brain than logic.

Back
Top Bottom