Protone Bulb Attack Overdrive + Microtubes B3K + Afe FX 2 + Metals

EthanC

So my xmas gift to myself was two items actually; A Protone "Bulb" Attack Overdrive and a Microtubes B3K for the bass. I decided to do a little demo song of the results. I have further detail info about what settings I used on my Axe FX 2 in the details on both the youtube and sound cloud pages.

Protone "Bulb" Attack Overdrive:
I struggle to describe how much of a difference it makes when paired with the Axe FXs superior amp and cab tone, so you'll just have to listen for yourself.
It tightens up the low end so much that you'll change the way you play now that pretty much all of the flub is gone. In G, you can hear the guitar just ring out this totally awesome "WAOmmmmmmm" sound that I was always for, but unable to obtain because the innate addition of mud once you get that low.

Microtubes B3K
Another tool that is generally used to "tighten up the low end" and it definitely does it's job. Nolly from Periphery uses a B7K but the issue is, I'm not Nolly from Periphery and even if i had $400 to spend on one pedal, I wouldn't. So the B3K was for me. It's just missing a few more of the knobs from the B7K but if what you're getting it for is to increase definition in your low end, The B3K will make a world of difference. At least it does for me.

Although I swore I'd never drop down any lower than Tosin Tuning, I couldn't resist the urge to give G a try and shit... When you think about it, detuning your 7-string to Ab is pretty low as is, but the Protone literally reacted like it was having too easy of a job with it, so I dropped it down another half step and found out that is where this pedal lives. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds amazing on even a standard-tuned guitar, but if you want to make something otherworldly deep, you absolutely can.

Combination:

Using these two together was one of the rare times in life I've gotten exactly what I wanted. The guitar and bass now don't fight for space and thus you can back off the high pass on your main guitars and enjoy 20% "more guitar" than before. Anyone who knows what they're doing in mixing and mastering knows that "less cuts equals more information" and thus "more information equals more definition", which is why i plain don't scoop mids in anything ever. I'm not joking, what you're listening to right here is a 7-string guitar in Drop G with a high-pass filter of only 40hz.... I used to have to run it at like 130. With some automated EQ i could have probably cleaned up the clean lead a little better during the galloping riff later in the song, but the fact you can gallop at G using this gear in itself borders on divine intervention. The bass needed no high-pass at all after this since it cut itself at 30hz anyway, which is perfect. I even had enough space in the low mids to ADD bass guitar there without adding mud which is nuts.

And since less mud almost always equals less RMS, I actually got to increase the overall loudness of this track with no audible artifacts. If you listen to the track on soundcloud, I guarantee it'll be one of the loudest (yet clean) metal mixes you've ever heard. All due to dramatically cleaner low-end.

Please ignore the fact that I'm not very good at playing guitar and concentrate only on my mixing and mastering skills ;)
Also i don't know why youtube makes things quieter so if you want the full definition, checkout the sound cloud after.

Thanks a lot for listening and I welcome any and all comments or questions about the specified gear, or whatever.

Nice! Sounds crushing.

Do you think the Pro tone bulb pedal works better than say just adding in house Axe Fx compress/drive/eq into the mix? Sounds silly but I'm curious.

Basically: Would you be able to accomplish something similar with modifying an on board tube screamer, adding some compression and eq into it before it hits the amp? It's be cool if you could try and A/B it with the axe to try to find out if its possible.

Last edited:
The most objective response I can give is "in my experience, yes".
I rarely compress guitars as-is simply because you're choosing between "dynamic" or "leveled out" when you add compression to anything. Sometimes you want that, sometimes you don't, but while (when used on "main guitars") compression stabilizes it's volume levels, it also removes all dynamic aspects from your guitar playing. I mean, that's it's job. So my compression is extremely mild and serves only to prevent clipping.
As far the built-in Axe FX drive blocks are concerned, I still believe they're a better idea than using their stomp-box "real life" counterparts. I would use the Axe-FX 808 drive block way before i used an actual 808 in-line any day of the week because tone-wise they are, for all intents and purposes, identical. So no point in adding another piece of hardware to accomplish the same thing the axe fx can reproduce 99.999991245499999% accurately.
That's actually why I do prefer the protone to the axe fx drive blocks though is because they are so good at doing their job; reproducing those stomp box drives perfectly... But I wasn't looking to reproduce an 808 or an OD9, I was looking for a different tone altogether from an overdrive that was designed to make that possible, which is why i gave the protone a try.

Oddly enough, the tone that the Attack Overdrive creates is very similar to what you get if you put a compressor in front of a gate - That "fast open, full power out of the gate" "djenty" sound, however the main draw being that it actually does those things itself and doesn't require you to honk with subsequent compression and gate blocks endlessly to find that "sweet spot".

Hope it helps :)

Oddly enough, the tone that the Attack Overdrive creates is very similar to what you get if you put a compressor in front of a gate - That "fast open, full power out of the gate" "djenty" sound, however the main draw being that it actually does those things itself and doesn't require you to honk with subsequent compression and gate blocks endlessly to find that "sweet spot".

Hope it helps :)

I use to use the whole "old" Misha method of running before I got the Axe XL:

Keeley 4 knob (only pedal i still have but don't use it)>Pre EQ>Maxon OD808>Ns-2(Hardgate)>Amp>Post Eq+ISP Decimator in loop and it always worked really well so I get what you mean about endless balancing act haha.

this sounds so good, wow! <3

Thanks! I do hate though that the youtube version is so much quieter than the soundlcloud though and i dont know why that is. Since the big challenge is maximizing loudness while maintaining clarity, I feel like the youtube video makes it sound like "so what, of course you can get clarity since it obviously isn't that loud" lol

I may just remove the youtube version and re-render it once i find out why it's doing that.

Back
Top Bottom